What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Gettin to be real slim pickin's around here again.  Tonight is stew made with pumpkin, ham, and misc. from the fridge, freezer, pantry.  It tastes OK, but not great.  Might make some cornbread to go with... just me and the kids because DH had a business dinner today.  Have just enough leftover tabouleh and fruit salad for us to clean those up as well.

tanya

Frozen Raspberries, that is all.  I have been eating everything in sight for days now and all of a sudden today I am not hungry.  Luckily the scale is being very nice this time but it is pretty tricky it could still go way up in a few days even if Idon't eat anything between now and then.  I eat when I am hungry and I don't when I am not.  My appetite has a mind of it's own.
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

MountainDon

Elkburgers, with crumbled blue cheese on fresh whole wheat buns (local bakery, not my own). Salad with homemade oil and vinegar dressing.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

For Suzy, it was dog food.

I fixed her a little plastic bag of dog food for her dinner as she was riding with me in the truck.

I opened the top of the bag for her so she could get some, but she wasn't hungry so she took her nose and carefully folded the top closed so none of the dog food was exposed.  I suppose she wanted to keep it fresh.

If it only happened once I wouldn't have thought too much of it, but she has done it 4 times now.

Isn't that just remarkable? ::)

Sounds like my mom always bragging on her smart kids. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Sounds smarter than my dog, who is too lazy to sit up to eat and instead lies on the floor and tips the bowl over and then drags the dog food to his mouth with his paw one piece at a time, getting little crumbs of dog food everywhere!

glenn kangiser

Something has to be said for the smartness of the lazy dog.

There is an old saying,   "If you want to know the easiest way to do something, ask a lazy man." (Dog?) ???

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Drew

My dad says, "I put a lot of effort toward being lazy."  He grew up on a farm and hid out in his room reading science fiction.  He rigged a siphon to feed him Kool Ade.  This is the same guy who kills snakes with OSB sticks and wants to show me the proper way to dress a chicken.  Funny.  He is also an IT guy and we have "different approaches" on some of that.  So now we connect on this stuff.

The bin from Planet Organics comes today so we'll have tons of fresh fruit.  I'm leading the 4H web design project after work today so Dan is going to start up the spinach, potatoes, and fried egg concoction that went down so well a couple of weeks ago.

I like spinach so much I think I'll write a song about it.  :D

Homegrown Tomatoes

I had mixed grill at Olive Gardens.  DH took me out for my birthday (truth is he forgot).  I would have just as soon had Mexican food at the local place, and it would have saved a considerable amount, but it was still pretty good.  It was also overly crowded with people trying to beat the Valentine's Day rush....  Anyway, it was nice not to have to cook/do dishes.

glenn kangiser

I had Potato Chips, a nuked potato with butter and salt, and two flame toasted tortillas with butter.

For something different, I think I'll have Peanut Butter and Chocolate Ice Cream For desert.

Drew

I believe that Peanut Butter and Chocolate may be the very best ice cream flavor in the world.

I'm just sayin'.

I'll donate blood after work, then go home and make ziti.  With two kids and grandpa at dinner the candles will get the night off.

Homegrown Tomatoes

My vote would have to go for Braum's Buttered Pecan.  But I also love the apricot-mango and cappucino chunky chocolate.  Sometimes, when the mood strikes, peppermint is also good... I went on a peppermint icecream kick for a while.  Then there's the toffee and coffee flavored varieties, also good....  for the past 30 years, the only flavor I have ever seen my Mom eat is buttered pecan.  I think she has an addictive personality... how could you eat the exact same thing all the time, even if you really like it?

tanya

Not potatoe chips!!! I had those for lunch and snack already, now I have to figure out something else if I get hungry again and it is time to hide the chips. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Redoverfarm

It was T-bones , baked potato, corn and tossed salad.  This is the last of the steaks. Good thing too as the butcher shop called this evening and said my beef would be ready to be picked up on Saturday. Sure hope I have enough room in the freezer as the boys vension took up part of it that we didn't have in there last year.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Last night, our very romantic Valentine's Day dinner was... hot ham and cheese sandwiches and a salad.  We're still trying to use everything up, of course.  Have friends coming over this morning to help me clear snow off the walks to help prepare for the moving crews.
Got the rest of the grout in the kitchen sealed last night, the basement scrubbed up, the oil in the truck changed, made an appointment to pick up a little u-haul, and so forth yesterday.  All in all, very productive day. 

Today we're having chicken noodle soup for lunch and it'll be a baked chicken for supper, along with whatever veggies can be scrounged up.  In fact, I'd best go get the chicken for the soup started so that I can get it deboned.  I am sick of the ham... ready for something else, thus the two chicken meals in a row.  Actually, I'm ready to just stop cooking until we can move!  The day is coming soon.  I've already packed clothes for me and the kids... haven't packed DH's yet... he's going to have to have nice clothes out for work, so I thought I'd let him pack his own.  The packers are coming one week from tomorrow!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, we needed to run to the hardware store last night, so we ended up going out for Mexican food.  Tonight we're having the last chicken, the one I baked.  Soup was good and there's maybe one or two bowls left.  We'll have some mashed potatoes and some broccoli with the chicken, and then I thawed some berries out for dessert to be topped with a mixture of pumpkin, whipped cream, and cinnamon (it sounds weird, but tastes good.)  Most of the week it'll be sandwiches or frozen pizzas for dinner; breakfast will have to be oats or cream of wheat and/or yogurt and fruit.  Not much else left.  Packed up the spices this afternoon.  The oven is self-cleaning at the moment (smoky choking mess!) so I don't intend to cook anything else that can spill or splatter until we're relocated!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Homegrown Tomatoes

tonight: frozen pizzas and Coca-cola.

glenn kangiser

Doing good, Homegrown.  Last night Suzy and I went prospecting as I had chores to do during the day so it was Dog Food, cheese and crackers, V-8 and Hansen soda.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Glenn, I'm hoping that the dog food was for Suzy?  Crackers, cheese and v-8 doesn't sound half bad.  Our fridge is getting really bare.  Girls ate the last of the oatmeal this morning.  Lyon ate the last of the cold cereal.  I guess my breakfast was instant coffee and crackers and an apple.  I'm ready to move.  Once you start getting rid of everything, it's time to move!

Drew

I made a dal (Indian lentils) on Saturday out of a James McNair cookbook.  I left out the chili and it still packed quite a punch.  I don't know if I killed the three trillion microorganisms in my gut or gave them what they need to become a Cloverfield monster.

Dan made her nan last night.  Ain't globalization grand?

Homegrown Tomatoes

In the realm of food, I enjoy it.  There are other areas i don't think it's so grand.
My daughter was asking me to make the naan again this morning, but we're out of everything and I told her it'd have to wait until we move.

glenn kangiser

QuoteGlenn, I'm hoping that the dog food was for Suzy?

Yes -- it was a bit of a fight but she won.  ::)

It really was for her.  We picnic out every so often.  :)

You know -- quality family time.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We had dinner at Boston Market en route to Home Depot.  Second time in a month we've wasted a trip to Home Depot only to get all the way there and find they don't have what they DID have that we came after.  We improvised at Menard's later.  Anyway, dinner was roast sirloin, chop salad, long cut green beans, corn, and cornbread.  We have yet to be able to finish one of their "dinner for 3" meals, and for the food you get, you can't beat the deal.  It was about $24 for the four of us to eat until we were stuffed, and it was all good food... I don't think they have Boston Markets at home...at least I don't ever remember seeing one, but who knows... might be one in the city by now.  Anyway, I think that whoever came up with that idea had a good one... real food, but as quick as fast food.  Their rotisserie chickens are also good (and about $4-5 cheaper on the meal for 3 or 4).  Their mixed veggies are also really good, as are the rosemary baked potatoes and the apples, and their salad is good, especially since DD loves blue cheese crumbles on her salad (weird kid...I know).  Anyway, I was glad not to have to cook, and glad not to have dishes to wash!  And, it hit the spot.  Usually, if we order the dinner for 3, we have lunch for one the next day for leftovers... when the girls were a little smaller, we got at least two dinners (sometimes more) out of that one 'dinner for 3'.  Pretty good bang for the buck, and the kids love it too.

Homegrown Tomatoes

A friend brought over meatloaf.  We had it with some canned tomato soup and steamed broccoli.  Pretty decent.  My friends painted our whole basement today (great gals!) so that we are one step closer to getting stuff done for the move... Need to take some pics of the recent home improvement....

glenn kangiser

Sassy and I had Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti with Trader Joes Tomato and Basil Marinara sauce topped with heaps of shredded Mozzarella, then nuked until the cheese was melted.  It actually tasted pretty good.

I guess I'll have the rest of the Peanut Butter and Chocolate Ice Cream and a slice of Coconut Cream and Chocolate Cream Pies for desert.