What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

c*  DH made me a whole pot of coffee, so it looks to be a good one!  Thanks!  (Was up literally all night with two of my kids and just flat unable to sleep for part of the night wishing that we could hurry up and move... finally went to sleep in the recliner with a heavy 4yo in my lap around 3 o'clock this morning and woke up a few hours later with my legs aching and so stiff it was hard to put the recliner down and lay her down on the couch... she is getting awfully heavy to stand up with from such a low chair!  Then my sister called at 7 o'clock to wish me a happy birthday.)  I plan to spend the day packing kitchen stuff I don't HAVE to have between now and the end of the month.  Ready to git 'er done! ;)

glenn kangiser

1 1/4" Rib Eye Steaks barbecued in the old 1920 Round Oak wood stove over a nice bed of glowing oak coals. 

Almost too hot but, boy howdy, them there's good victuals. [hungry]

Sassy made a couple of nice bowls of Potato Pearls - mashed potatoes slathered in real butter to go with the steaks.  I even saved a little in my beard for breakfast.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Came home on Friday from DD's make-up violin lesson (cancelled Tuesday due to tornadoes) only to be surprised by a birthday party waiting at my house.  So, we had pizza and salad and birthday cake.   :)  And of course, butter pecan icecream. 

Then, on Saturday, we were worn smooth out and trying to get stuff packed, so we ended up eating leftover pizza.  Last night, we made a trip down to my Grandma's house to see my cousin's new baby.  She's about seven weeks old and weighs about what Sylvia did when she was born!  Anyway, we all had to go see the tiny one, and Grandma made roast, carrots and taters, and she fixed some green beans and rolls.  Simple and tasty, even if she kind of burned the roast.

So, needless to say, we still have way too much stuff in the fridge for a week before moving.  Tonight is polish sausage and salad.

glenn kangiser

Sounds good, Homey.  Instant mashed potatoes and nuked steak for me.  Chocolate on the Ice Cream. [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Last night was takeout from the Chinese place.  It isn't bad.  They don't use MSG and they're pretty cheap.  We had beef with snowpeas, and tomato pepper steak and an order of sesame chicken for the kids and egg drop soup.  Their sesame chicken is getting better, and it had a lot of broccoli in it for the first time ever (it actually LOOKED like the picture in the menu).  We still have some food on hand, but we don't have to get rid of absolutely everything before we move, and we're down to an amount we can move in an ice chest now.

Dog

Morningstar Griller with homemade three bean soup mixed with kale. Simple and yummy.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

MountainDon

Grilled wild Alaskan Salmon, baked white sweet potato, fried Chinese cabbage, carrots and onion.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

ooh Don, I think I'm coming to your house for dinner.  Last night we had canned chicken noodle soup and saltines and we were all too sick to care.  Oh, and lemon-lime gatorade.  Feeling better this morning after  a few saltines, the breakfast of champions.  Must be feeling better if I'm ready to think about real food again!

MountainDon

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on February 20, 2009, 09:28:39 AM
ooh Don, I think I'm coming to your house for dinner. 

Well, let's see.... you'd have about a 20% chance of hitting the salmon, 10% chance of the baked white sweet potato and something like 7% chance of hitting the cabbage on any given night...   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

The artisan free form bread dough is rising, the chicken is in the pot cooking on the wood stove, the cauliflower, brocolli, onion, carrots & Swiss chard has been harvested  :) so it's just a matter of everything stewing & cooking...

Glenn & Sonoran are working here in Mariposa - they'll be in for lunch in a little bit - I told them they were getting fried egg sandwiches & salad...

Now, I need to bake a dessert...  hmmm, what will it be  ???  I'll have to think about that  [waiting]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Supper tonight: it is canned soup with a can of corn and a can of chicken added, plus celery, pepper, and oregano.  I am so mad that we packed the whole kitchen up thinking we were moving tomorrow.  Now we have only one pan out, and hardly anything to eat.  When I told the realtor about the screw-up from the bank, I can't even begin to repeat the string of expletives that came out of her mouth...kind of like some kind of volcano erupting.   :(  I'm going to go sulk and eat my soup.

considerations

apaknad

my dear homey,

i know this is very frustrating for you but i want you to think of this....how does your situation compare to if your child or spouse was seriously sick. there are people in the world that would thank God to eat what you are eating tonight. you will get there...keep praying. you are a very strong lady, you will get through this. i think you are suffering from your family being sick with the flu. it's understandable. hang in there.
  dan
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We're all unbelievably tired is all.  Most of us are feeling better by now.  I think I went something like 72 hours without sleep during the height of it.  My middle daughter was on antibiotics already for a bacterial infection, and then she got the flu stuff on top of that, and then we found out today, just as she was about to finish up the antibiotics that didn't do her much good,  that she is allergic to penicillin, so she was miserable again because she was a solid rash from head to toe and whining about everything, and so it was another trip to the doctor between spending a total of 3-5 hours on phone and computer just trying to straighten out the mess from the lenders being illiterate and sending the wrong numbers to the title company, and having to resend everything to DH's company for their part of the closing costs, etc.  The worst of it was just that they made us liars to our kids.  We'd told them we were moving tomorrow after being assured that closing WOULD BE on time.  Less than 24 hours until the closing was supposed to take place, we had to double our DP on a moment's notice, which we could do, but it threw all the numbers off and everything has to be redone.  The property management company is breathing down our necks to get out, and they keep wanting to bring people in and show them the house when we're trying to pack and/or homeschool, or when we're all sick as dogs.  They want us out by Friday at 5PM so they can do the walk-through during business hours.  If we can't get out by then, we have to pay pro-rated rent for the first two days of March until they can get over to do the walk-through, which stinks.  We WILL be out before then if I can help it.  The dinner wasn't bad... it was just that it was the third "instant" meal of the day, and though we don't usually eat "rich" (most of the time breakfast is as simple as cornmeal mush or oats) we do usually eat real food, and going from stuff that's good for you to junk food isn't as easy as you would imagine.  When the kids eat much processed food, it is almost like you can see their horns poking out through their hair... my oldest, my OLDEST!!, wrote on the wall today!!!!  In a rented house.  She is six.  She hasn't done something like that since she was two!!!  For the life of me, I can't imagine what possessed her to take a black ball-point pen and draw a cute little star on the stupid stark white walls!!!!  She won't even let chalk dust get on the carpet for Pete's sake!  Thankfully, I was able to scrub it off with a magic eraser, but I was ready to tie her up! 

Now that all that whining is out, there is a little good news.  The owner said it is OK if we move a bit of our stuff on over to the house so that we won't have so much to do last minute.  I am taking the houseplants and cleaning stuff over in the morning and will probably make another trip after DH gets home tomorrow.  It'll probably be Sonic hamburgers or ramen noodles or something for supper tomorrow. 

glenn kangiser

It has to get better, Homey. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yes it does.  I packed all the ballpoint pens and sharpie markers. ;D

considerations

Too bad you can't pack the kids.

Redoverfarm

This evening it was a little traditional.  Farm raised pork tenderloin roast, great northern beans seasoned with cured ham, pontiac small potatoes boiled and seasoned with butter, whole kernel corn and corn bread. I will hold off on the homemade chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream til later this evening. 

Sassy

Sounds good, Red.  We had leftovers... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes they are better than the first time.  Example is Linguini and clam sauce. It gives the noodle a chance to absorb the broth.  In fact left over's is usually my luch I take on the mountain.  I will have to re-think that for tomarrow since I will probably not be making a fire so heating something up will be out of the question.  Maybe cold pizza.

MountainDon

Olive Garden on a gift card.  ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight was a salad of romaine, turnips, carrots, parsley, celery, green onions, summer sausage, boiled eggs, and cheese.    Wasn't all that well thought-out.  We were busy this afternoon and other things took precedence over getting dinner on time, or even figuring out what it was going to be, for that matter.

Jens

hot dogs over an open fire...burn pile, that is.  Then I cam inside and made mozzarella from cream top milk that was starting to smell a bit off, still ok, just a bit off :)  We will use it for pizza tomorrow.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight chang chorim (Korean style potroast).  If we truly had it Korean style, it would be so salty you could only eat a tiny bit, but I tend to decrease the salt and soy sauce in most Korean recipes.  It is served with green peppers and boiled eggs that  are also cooked in the salty mixture so that they take on a nice brownish color and the beefy taste.  My kids are wanting rice and some myeolchi (fried dried anchovies) to go with. 

tanya

French toast. With store bought jam, not that good but it does make me focus on getting my berry plants together this year!!! 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.