small windows between 16 " center studs

Started by Dave Sparks, December 04, 2012, 10:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

Anyone have any good sources of windows between wall studs? Looking to let light in and not damage structure.
"we go where the power lines don't"

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Dave Sparks on December 04, 2012, 10:40:36 AM
Anyone have any good sources of windows between wall studs? Looking to let light in and not damage structure.

I believe that stock windows only go down to 23.5-24" so I would say you will have to Special Order some. 

Don't believe you are interested in these

http://www.atlanticshed.com/14x21f.htm

Dave Sparks

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 04, 2012, 11:15:49 AM
I believe that stock windows only go down to 23.5-24" so I would say you will have to Special Order some. 

Don't believe you are interested in these

http://www.atlanticshed.com/14x21f.htm

Sort of interested thanks! This would work but I also need one that was double pane for an outside wall.

I might even fabricate out of Lexan or Polyglas. I do not need to see though the window. Maybe Glen has some underground advice for surface dwellers....
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

Do they have to be an operating window, as in single/double hung or casement? Hard to do a slider in a 16" wide space.   ;D

I was planning on making a non-opening window on our cabin but didn't when I came to having to fabricate a weather seal.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

waggin

Other than buying from stock at a retailer, aren't most windows made to order anyway?  I had a pair of Insulate (now Certainteed) 5' tall single hung vinyl windows made to fit the 14-1/2" between existing studs flanking a fireplace.  Since they looked out on my neighbor's roof about 12' away, I got them in "glue chip" pattern.  Basically that made them obscure with a pattern that looked like a layer of flaky ice crystals on the glass.  My reasoning for getting them was that I got rid of sliders in other windows with a view and went to picture windows, so I needed some operable windows for ventilation.  They looked great and functioned well.

*Edit to add photo from my last house.  Not sure if this was ideal for shear, but the window installer didn't seem to think it was an issue, so I went with it.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Native_NM

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

considerations

Except for the stock sizes at big box stores, most windows in this county are ordered.  Didn't seem to affect the "pricing" much. I found stock windows at Home Depot that went between my 24" oc studs...but ordered non opening windows for the bit of 10' wall in the loft in the stairwell and over the the kitchen sink..didn't seem extraordinarily expensive.