Garden thread.

Started by peg_688, April 12, 2006, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanya

OK in the garden room, which I am now referring to as the hothouse now, it is 99 degrees right now that is nice.  I have planted two kinds of parsley, chives, cilantro, two kinds of tomatos, three kinds of peppers, basil, spinich, lettuce and chard, some flowers, and maybe some stuff I forgot about.  It seems to be a lot and I almsot have the space filled up.  My good pepper seeds are supposed to be in the mail today so I am off to the PO to get them.  That seed co took forever to get that order sent out grrr. I had to compain, I don't like heating that space and not having it full.  The snow is melting off the garden area too so I will be able to get going on that soon.  Still to soon to set up the greenhouse though, if it snows again which it will, it will collapse. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

My older daughter saved some gourds from our garden last year... she wanted to save the seeds and make something with the gourds.  Anyway, they froze hard on the front porch a month or two ago, so I threw them away when they thawed and were getting soft.  Later, I found them out of the trash and threw them away again, thinking this time I got them out before DD found them. ???  Well, a day or two ago, she came trotting out of her closet holding a really furry "thing" and said, "Mama?  What's wrong with my gourds?"  She had hidden them in a plastic bag in her closet!!! There were five moldy gourds hiding out in there!  YUCK!  Anyway, it was a little easier to convince her to toss them this time!  I'm so glad we found them before the packers packed them and they moved with us!   :P

tanya

My ex sent my daughter gourds one year for her birthday.  She made the cutest little rattle dolls out of them with some yarn and fabric scraps. 

I am a new grandma now.  Baby is a week old and I have been at the hospital and getting them settled in at home over the past several days.  I love being a grandma but now I miss my little grandbaby already, just got home today.  I will see her again on Tuesday but I am envisioning a nice little mother in law apt...  yes, they live very close to a wonderful beach and nice quiet little town... 

Sassy

congratulations, Tanya!  Grandkids are fun!  I just had my 5 y/o granddaughter for a couple days up here at the cabin - she loves it here!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Congratulations, Tanya... how big was she and all that fun stuff? ;D

glenn kangiser

Picked a bunch of fresh Broccoli yesterday -- we had 2 meals off of it. [hungry]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

The baby is a girl and weighed 6lb. 2 oz.  She is so adorable and sweet.  My daughter had a bad time of it though she has a double uterus, cervix etc. and the extra cervix got in hte way of a natural delivery.  Her Dr. wsa a nut and let her push for five hours before sending her in for a c section.  But that went well, the baby is sweet as pie and thank god my daughter is healing up faster than could ever be expected.  I am still pretty freaked out about nearly losing both of them but tryying to focus on the important stuff.  There should be a law though if that baby isn't moving into the birth canal within one hour (when complicatins are present, like in my daughters case) or two hours for an otherwise normal deleiver, they should go to c secion those extra hours of  pushing exhausts the mom and baby and if the baby isn't moving down after an hour or two is sure isn't going anywhere after that.  Yes, I threw a big old fit too at that doctor but it didn't last to long because of course she was busy getting the emergency c section going.   But like I said my daughter is fine and the baby is fine.  My daughter is hands down the strongest person I will ever know, she gave it her all trying to have that little baby.  And one good thing that came of it is I got to spend a lot of time helping them and holding the baby while they rested up.  I know if it had been a normal delivery I would have been sent home after the first day.  She is pretty independant and her husband is a baby hog!!!

glenn kangiser

QuoteShe is pretty independant and her husband is a baby hog!!!

Cool-- should make interesting looking children.  ::)

I remember Peter,  Paul and Mary used to sing a song called "I'm In Love With a Big Blue Frog"

QuoteI'm not worried about our kids, I know they'll turn out neat.  They'll be great lookiin' 'cause they'll have my face, great swimmers 'cause they'll have his feet."
WoW -- I did that from memory. :o

Sorry Tanya, I couldn't help myself.  :( d* :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

Well he is a good dad but we have to take turns holding the baby and my daughter has priority status.  So poor poor me I have to wait.  Now if the baby would have been born ather due date he would be back at work on his construction work and then I would have had more time.  And he isn't like most men who get bored withthe bay either no, he actually likes holding, feeding etc.  I can't wait until he goes back to work. 

tanya

Today I got to hold the baby the entire time I was there, all afternoon.  I also went to the garden store and got some great buys there.  They had some sort of cute little animals in a cage, probably rabbits or puppies but I didn't look.  No more animals.  I found another hypertufa site and they have a recipie for using the pine needles so I am happy about that.  I have lots of pine needles but no money for peat moss. 

PEG688

Ah spring , tilling , blooming stuff , all good things eh!

Clematis (sp)

Tulip or Daffodil ,

Garden turned over ,

way ahead of last year I think .

Sorta neat I can go back and look at the dates I've done this in the past , gotta love these "stickies " :) [cool]

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

Daffodils, PEG  :)  I love it when those are blooming - I have a lot of them throughout the garden right now - also hundreds of calendula (orange flowers) some daisies, the bachelor buttons are getting ready to bloom & have some buds on the roses.

Today Glenn picked a bunch of broccoli & I made broccoli cheese soup - pretty good!  We have lots of rutabagas, onions, beets, swiss chard, broccoli, some cauliflower, the asparagus is coming up, lets see what else...  oh, lots of celery, parsnips, cabbage...  our weather is ideal for winter gardens  :)  (although I envy your summers, PEG when its 100 +)

glenn kangiser

Glad to see you got up out of the easy chair, PEG. ;D

PEG688

Easy what  ???  :-\  :-\

So planted a few lettuce plants and onion sets, two rows of spinach and two rows of radishes.

Well see how they do , it may be to early , frost could be a issue.

Now I have to go "prune " my photo bucket account , I've reached my 1000 picture limit.

What to delete , hummm  :-\

MountainDon

Don't prune... start a new account! I have two.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

John (redoverfarm) sent me some interesting examples of horticulture.

This is my favorite...

The last one is one of many that may be viewed HERE

PHOTO PAGE LINK HERE
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

PEG - Maybe you can just start a new folder in the same account, because all together I have more than a thousand photos but some are in other folders.

MountainDon

I had a look at the photobucket rules of use and found that I am in violation of their policies.  :o  We are limited to one free account per person. Maybe I got away with having two as I sometimes think like two different persons.  :-\

Here are the free account limitations...

Storage space    1GB (approx 10,000 files)    
Image size    1024x768    Unmetered
Image dimensions    1024x768 max    
Slideshow images    Up to 30    
Video length    Up to 5 mins    

So I'm not sure what's going on with PEG?  ???

http://photobucket.com/terms
account comparison; free vs paid
http://photobucket.com/upgrade

glenn kangiser

You can look in
Account Options for specs --I have 1262 - 438 mb out of 1GB.

PEG688

When I loaded the last batch the account said I had 1000 photos as a limit.

I just deleted a bunch of photos , no big deal , most where multiple "looks" at the basic same things. I don't think what I deleted will effect, greatly ,  any of the "good" threads here. I kept all the garden photos , and the ledger , how to hang a door , trim detail photos , or all most all .

Call it "spring cleaning",   it was good for my soul  ;)   At least to seemed good  :)

Mtn D , you cheater,   :o  :o  ;)

tanya

Good news for WA farmers the legislature has pased the bill allowing local food banks, school districts etc. to use thier money to buy fresh LOCAL vegetables and fruits.  Now since i live in an area where it is winter most of the school year I will have to figure out lights etc.  But I have a great start so far and this is apparantly the year to go for it.  For such a small town I already have a lot of folks wanting these organic tomatoes and peppers.  North of hear in BC they have giant hot houses full of everything even bannanas.  It is awesome that farming is going more local, one good thing about the current petro crisis.  Personally I think every school district should have courses on green gardening/agriculture and grow their own foods but that is a long ways off. 

glenn kangiser

I planted the rest of the plants I started earlier in the year.  Sassy weeded the day before.

I had  kohlrabi, Cabbage? something else like cauliflower?.  Didn't mark them and can't remember.  We'll figure it out when they grow up.  Like kids. ::)

Sassy

Tanya, you sound like you have a great start to your garden & a ready made clientele! 

Red, those are cool pix Don posted...

Homegrown Tomatoes

Fun pics.  I think the kids and I are going to have to play in the dirt, even if we have to do it with containers.  We are all getting the garden bug, and the weather is so nice... surely our landlords wouldn't have a problem if we planted some pansies in the existing flower beds??? This place needs something colorfu.  The Bradford pear in the front yard started blooming yesterday...those things make me sneeze, and what an idiotic tree that doesn't produce edible fruit, but they are pretty.

glenn kangiser