HepvO; Waterless Alternative to the P-trap

Started by MountainDon, January 29, 2014, 05:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

This is interesting. A P-trap replacement; does not use water to prevent backflow of stinky sewer gas. It works vertical or horizontal.

I found it out searching for a suitable low clearance trap for the shower drain on the cargo trailer conversion.

HepvO.com

There are a few vendors to be found with Google in addition to the mfg site listed above.  Not cheap when shipping is included. Best price I found was on ebay from the UK.    < $29 US and delivered in 8 days.

Might be a no brainer alternative to P-traps in cabins that are left unheated between cold weather uses.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I can see it as a valuable alternative to the regular traps.  It would really work well with a pedestal mounted sink.

grover

Not sure how long it takes for a p trap to dry out from not being used but it would eliminate that problem plus the freezing issue.  Looks like a great product.

MountainDon

We have had the tub trap in the second bathroom run dry from evaporation. I'm not sure how long it took, but that tub does go a loooooooooooong time between uses.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

This would be nice for my tub.  Never have an issue with the sinks as they seem to thaw quickly when frozen (happened a few times to me) whereas the tub's trap is under the cabin where it isn't heated and has frozen on me twice (is still frozen now but then so too is the grey water drain).

Perhaps for next winter I'll try this.

MushCreek

I wonder what inspectors would make of it? I see they list various certifications, but I couldn't really determine if it would actually meet US codes. I'm going to order some for my barn, as I'm getting tired of using RV antifreeze every time it gets cold, which has happened a LOT this winter.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

Do check first, it's been a few years since I've seen a discussion but I don't believe mechanical traps are approved.