Michelle Bachmann bought tickets to the debate for 4000 of her fans

Started by Windpower, August 14, 2011, 05:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

AFP reported that "It has been criticized as playing too heavily in favor of candidates that are well financed, since their campaigns can buy the $30 tickets for their supporters to attend and presumably vote in their favor."

The Ames event was considered to be a Republican fundraiser, yet Bachmann's campaign bought and "handed out at least 4,000 free tickets to supporters."

http://www.domasjefferson.com/news/bachmann-rigged-iowa-poll-by-buying-at-least-4000-votes
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

cbc58

Native_NM

See what happens when you don't give away tickets?

He's the sitting President and couldn't get people to line up for a measly $44.00.  My bar tab was more than that other night watching an amateur band at a local pub:

http://amerpundit.com/2011/06/14/winning-the-future-empty-seats-at-obama-fundraiser/

And at this event, he had to drop the price even further:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/09/23/obamas-fire-sale.html?cid=hp:mainpromo1

And here, they were giving them away and still couldn't get anyone to show up:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/other-races/126713-thousands-of-empty-seats-for-final-stump-by-obama-biden

I'm not a fan of Bachmann or Obama.  I just hate the hypocrisy of the media, and they way they spin things. 

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Tickhill

"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Windpower

fishing_guy

Although I see the "straw poll" as silly and the format weird, Ms. Bachmann didn't do anything untoward, illegal, hidden, or otherwise questionable.

I know there is a segment of the population (Read that Far Left) that cannot stand the lady.  Probably the polar opposites of those  who could not stand Hillary Clinton.

She believes what she does, and doesn't apologize to the PC club for it.  For that, I have to give her credit.  She represents our state and has done an ok job...

P.S.  I hold editors who DON'T use unflattering pictures in high regards right now.  When you  go sophomoric/Lowest common denominator...it shows a lack of education and an utter lack of respect for your audience.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Windpower

The fact that Bachmann would allow herself to photographed eating a brat in that manner proves to me that she is completely unaware of the position she is running for

I would even go so far as to say she must as stupid as that other dim wit Sarah Palin (Palin is at least easy on the eyes)

I agree with you FishingGuy that the political system is up for sale

I just don't think it is good for the country nor do think making excuses for clearly buying votes is very sophisticated

and then there is Mitt Romney
"Corporations are people, my friend"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=No_r8q2OiZs

dug

Quoteand then there is Mitt Romney
"Corporations are people, my friend"

Well at least he came right out and said it. "I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Exxon/Mobile...".  [waiting]

OlJarhead

Just for the record what Backmann did is exactly what most candidates do for the straw poll.  Do a little research and you will discover this is the norm.

It's stupid really, and the media should report on it as it is -- that they have all, at one time or another, done this.  Or most anyway.

Personally I have problems with Backmann -- she's just too busy repeating lines and saying what either she's told to say or she thinks you want to hear from where I stand.  In fact, I once watched and listened to 3 or 4 shows in one day last election in which she came on to, and in every one she said that exact same lines...catch phrases.

She's too scripted.

Palin I think is so close to normal that she's hated because, well, it seems to me people want a politician that's polished...no one wants a pauper king after all...and as the founders claimed "The average citizen wants a king".

I'm a but of a nut these days because I actually think Ron Paul is the best candidate running from what I can see.

NM_Shooter

Any real proof she bought and distributed those tickets?  (Note I am not saying that she did not... I just am wondering what the sorce of this info might be)

That article is nothing more than a smear attempt, especially given the corn dog picture.  This sort of reporting is reprehensible.  No author's name associated with it either.  Snipe and run.

It is disingenuous as well, clearly and maliciously misrepresenting what the flyer actually says.  A quote from the article :

"Michele Bachmann's camp handed out flyers, which stated that in order to see the entertainment, you had to vote for her first."

The flyer clearly does not say that.  It just says you have to vote.  You don't vote at the candidate's booth... there is a seperate voting area.

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Windpower

dug

It is amazing is it not that Romney said that in complete candor

so is he so out of touch that he didn't realize that "corpoartions are people" would not fly in Iowa

or is he so far down the paradigm that he really believes it

???

I agree Olj, Paul is the man

Now if we can just keep the banksters from pulling a "lone nut" with a WWII piece of crap rifle in Dallas scenario...

The banksters have quite a record on that

Jackson (tried and failed both pistols misfired)

Lincoln -- Greenbacks were unpopular with the banksters

Garfield  they let him die an slow painful death from infection

and of course Kennedy who authored the silver backed currency executive order 11110

"(j) The authority vested in the President by paragraph (b) of section 43 of the Act of May 12, 1933, as amended (31 U.S.C. 821(b)), to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury not then held for redemption of an outstanding silver certificates, to prescribe the denominations of such silver certificates, and to coin standard silver dollars and subsidiary silver currency for their redemption,' and (b) By revoking subparagraphs (b) and (c) of paragraph 2 thereof."

Windpower

dug

#3 for Ron Paul. He won't be on the ticket but I'll write him in.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Windpower on August 15, 2011, 12:14:21 PM
Another article by Paul Krugman

http://www.unelected.org/how-michele-bachmann-bought-the-ames-straw-poll

That's just regurgitation of the same article, including the exact same misrepresentation of the flyer.

Data and source please. 

rwanders

::) ::)

Starting to be aware of how much some of our forum brothers and sisters like to pass internet gossip around, disguised as blogs, op ed columns and weird websites run by very weird people.  

Don't get me wrong, some of it is interesting (truth is so limiting), some is downright laughable, some start good debates and, some are just malicious.

We will soon be in the heart of the malicious season---a presidential election year. We should think before we push the forward button and avoid spreading hatchet jobs for anyone.

Just a thought,

RW
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Windpower

First you wanted a source and Author

I provided source and author

How about this,

You provide a source and author for the Michelle Bachmann repudiation of the the claims that she bought tickets and gave away entertainment for a 'return favor'

IF the Bachmann campaign had a problem with these articles I am sure she would set the record straight.

Where is the repudiation ?

Where is the threat of a liable suit ?

Where is the Bachmann outrage ?

rwanders

Maybe Bachmann believes it's best not to wrestle with pigs in the gutter---you just get dirty and the pigs love it.

Sort of like trying to appeal to reason when debating with conspiracy theorists.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

Quote from: rwanders on August 15, 2011, 01:38:26 PM
We should think before we push the forward button and avoid spreading hatchet jobs for anyone.

Just a thought,

RW

Quote from: rwanders on August 15, 2011, 02:16:42 PM

Maybe Bachmann believes it's best not to wrestle with pigs in the gutter---you just get dirty and the pigs love it.

Sort of like trying to appeal to reason when debating with conspiracy theorists.

:) :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Windpower on August 15, 2011, 01:45:45 PM
First you wanted a source and Author

I provided source and author

No. 

I asked for the data and the source of the data.  Not the fabrication and the author of the fabrication.  Where is the actual data showing that this purchase occurred?  Did it come from her campaign committee?  I want to know where I can find the actual data showing the purchase, which is why I asked for the source.

Once again, I am not arguing that she didn't do it, I just want a real source.  Anybody can make up anything they want, and post it on the internet.  That does not make it true.

If this really happened, then there is proof.  Proof is not a pretty web page. 

If we can't back up our postings with legitimate data, then why post? 

NM_Shooter

Quote from: rwanders on August 15, 2011, 02:16:42 PM

AMEN!!!

Windpower

So Paul Krugman and by inference the New York Times and FOX News are engaging in yellow journalism

Never thought I would get that from you folks

and RW ....   meh, nevermind

NM_Shooter

Now I'm really lost.  How are NYT and FOX related to this?   I only see this as a misrepresentation by Krugman.  Did he get bad info from them?  WTH????

Ajax

So, is the story here that Bachmann bought tickets?  Because they all do that.  Every single one of them.  That's the point of the straw poll, to show how strong your organization is, how you can get out your vote.

Or is the story that she paid for 6000 tickets and only got 4600 votes?

The first question is a non-story.  As for the second question, I really have no idea what the vote percentage is for each candidate.  Maybe it is a story that 25% of her attendees didn't vote for her.
Ajax .... What an ass.
muldoon

fishing_guy

Quote from: Windpower on August 15, 2011, 10:01:58 AM
The fact that Bachmann would allow herself to photographed eating a brat in that manner proves to me that she is completely unaware of the position she is running for

Come on Windpower...at least get your midwest meats straight...

A brat is a form of sausage which is normally boiled(in beer) and then grilled.  Purists would eat it only on a bun and usually accompanied by a blend of mustard.  Non-purists would have it on a bun with ketchup.

A CORNDOG(or Prontopup) (of which Ms. Bachman is found eating) is the food of fairs and festivals in the midwest.  Unlike it's cousin, the brat, purists smother them in ketchup, while the uninitiated would use both ketchup and mustard.  It is a food of the people and can only be enjoyed in a relaxed/down  to earth attitude.

I too am a Ron Paul supporter...I just have to speak up on this form of journalism when I see it...It's about as yellow as it gets...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.