Newbies building a cabin in the Ozarks

Started by Ozarkhomesteaders, February 02, 2011, 10:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarkhomesteaders

Hello all we're new to this great site and will be members for years to come.  My fiancee and I have purchased property in the Ozarks and are in the process of building our home a 14'x20' cabin.  We will be looking forward to all of your help and advice in this journey of ours and greatly appreciate all your insight. 

Thank you
Ozarkhomesteaders

rwanders

w*   Welcome--------building your own is a great adventure and a very satisfying one too-------it will also either confirm your choice of mate----or maybe save you both. Shared efforts like building together bring out the best and the worst in all of us.  May it all be good for you both!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

duncanshannon

w*

Please tell us about your lot and plans! photots are always appreciated!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Tickhill

Arkansas or Missouri Ozarks? I have family in the Mtn Home, Ark area. Beautiful country.
Looking forward to the posts/pics.
Welcome aboard.
Tickhill
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Ozarkhomesteaders

Well we have 6 acres on the Norfork River with just about 400' of river front and national forest on 2 sides.  We have many pictures and will post as soon as we know how. ??? We bought our land and thought for awhile about what we were going to live in until we build our house. Thinking about a travel trailer, a single wide trailer, even a canvas tent. We decided for the money we could build a small cabin and make it the way we wanted it and be much happier.  The only catch with that was that we were living in Pennsylvania and we didn't have enough money to travel back and forth as we were building. So we thought we would just build our cabin in PA and make it so we could take it apart and take it with us to Missouri, so we got the biggest Penske truck loaded up our cabin, belongings, and vehicle and headed out. It has been a year and a half since we moved here and we have no regrets, we love it here in Missouri. ;D
Ozarkhomesteaders

rwanders

:)   Sounds like it has been a great and good adventure for you------hope we get to see some pictures.  Your property sounds wonderful!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Ozarkhomesteaders

Here is where we are at in the process of building our home, a work always in progress.

This is looking down the beautiful Norfork from our land.

This is a picture of the upper part of the property, and our 1st year garden,  the river is through the woods to the left about 400'.

I hope these pictures worked.

Ozarkhomesteaders

Sassy

w*  beautiful country there - I visited a friend in Waverly, Kansas & we drove to Branson, Missouri last Sept - had a lot of fun.  Looks like you're just about done!  That must have been quite a chore to build the cabin & then take it down & rebuild it again - wow!  Nice to have that river there, too.  Keep us posted on your progress  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Tickhill

Looking good, my father was a hydro operator at Norfork Dam in the 70's. If you decide to do some renewable energy, there is a guy in Seymour, Missouri just off of the 4 lane. I have done business with him before.
You might be a candidate for some micro-hydro being that close to the river, if the Corps doesn't frown on it.
God Bless,
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Mike_N

Nice pics! What county are you in? Our land is in Ozark co., west of Gainsville. We hope to start building this spring. I love it there. Beautiful country.

Texas Tornado

Ozarkhomesteaders

In our eyes we are nowhere even close to being done however we are still making progress and that's what counts.  It was a lot of work but well worth it, we were able to have our cabin setup in four days after we got out to Missouri and two of those days were spent waiting for concrete to dry.  Now that was just all the walls erected and sheeted in, the roof sheeted in and shingled and the door and windows installed.  We have pictures of all this that we will eventually post.  In the mean time here are a couple of pictures.

Standing on our property looking up the bluff to the south.

Standing on that same bluff looking down at our property and the beautiful view.

Ozarkhomesteaders

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford