Mtn. Don

Started by PEG688, June 08, 2007, 10:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I've had enough major sunburns from welding to usually always wear at least a T shirt for short periods of welding - cotton only on all welding clothes.,, long sleeve cotton for a bit more or leathers for a lot of welding or heavy welding.

.... and not to mention pants.  I always wear long pants.  Too rough around here for less... and besides .... if I was to not be wearing them, who knows --- maybe the wife would pick them up and try to put them on.  You know we couldn't have that. ;D

Chauvinist pig...   Moi?? :-?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

A contractor buddy of mine once said on a job site , " Shorts and sneakers are for women and kids , men wear pants and boots!"  ;D ;D I'll  second that thought ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

benevolance

Peg

I wear sandals....Not sneakers :P

It is too damned hot here in South Carolina for Workboots and pants...

Growing up in Canada I wore workboots almost year round with workpants from Marks work wearhouse (best clothing ever... all 100% made in Canada... I hate wearing asian clothing it is junk)

Side note... Hard to buy authentic 100% made in America clothing...I have tried a few times you know you see the with pride in the usa sticker on the box.... Well they meant that the box was made with pride in the usa...the boots came from Veitnam or Thailand or wherever

But yeah I miss the matching green work shirts and pants... Kind of like what you see down here... the Dickies...Only much better quality...Material was more comfortable also... And unlike clothing stitched in the third world....If you are a honest to goodness 32 leg buying off the rack a 32 leg fit you...or a 34 waist

the work pants you get at wal mart the Dickies... I can barely get their 34 pants pulled halfway up my thigh.... I need to get like a 40 waist in their pants...and then they are too long and need hemmed... Just pure junk!

They do not make anything like they used to.... Moving away from home means no wool socks either.... All of my life my grandmother knitted every pair of socks for me.... Getting married and moving away killed that... Hard tgo buy good  socks that are not hand knitted in my opinion

I am making grandmother give my wife a sock knitting lesson later this summer :) Hoping for good things :-/

Maybe once we buy in Tennessee and sell the house in Lake City I can have the workshop I have been dreaming about for the last 10 years.... It will have ac for the summertime so I can wear whatever I like and stay comfy

benevolance

BTW

-If you show up at the job site wearing shorts something is wrong...Unless you are delivering lunch! For the guys ;D

At my shop I can wear whatever I like....Those that think it less than adequate are free to comment across the street off the property ;)

glenn kangiser

I'm with PEG, Peter.  Boots keep the rattle snakes from biting the lower leg and foot also.

I looked at Dickies but their clothes are mostly polyester blend.  Hot plastic when welding sticks to flesh.  100% cotton doesn't.  Also the sweat it holds tends to slow the burning sparks down a bit.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn I agree the dickies line are junk...I was using them as a reference because I  saw them in the store... Seem popular line of work clothing.

Glenn you know you love polyester.. remember way back to swinging disco clubbing coke sniffing times... with the plaid polyester the dark glasses and the curly hair... I mean you were young in the 70's dude

Oh yeah!

I could not have lived with the disco idiots..Glad I missed the 70's I cannot even tolerate disco music...

glenn kangiser

I may have slid into the poly a time or two but never wasted my time on drugs.  Had a few beers and drinks - but didn't need any of it for keeps. :-/

fourx

..the '70's ? I Will Survive..? I Did...just.
Mama Mia!...and all the other Abba hits ( did you catch Abba up there?- I use catch as in a dose of the flu..) I had a purple crimpolene suit ..( what happened to that?), flares, ( no drugs, of course..they affect your memory- and speling..er, spelling) wide collars, fat ties, ...the Eagles on the sound system, the Blues Brothers on the video ( what happened to that suit?..it was like something out of SHAFT- or a BG's film clip), Elton John, Rod Stewart ( no drugs, of course, they affect your..), Bete Midler, the Stones ( ..no drugs..they..err..) Cheech and Chong ( no ..what? )  and, err..... :o

...really, if I just keep telling myself it's a small font combined with a laptop screen, it's far more comforting...

..no whaaaat?
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

Had all those along with the Bee Gees, Pete.

benevolance

it is funny.. because even as a child I turned off the radio when that crap came on... my wife is amazed that I do not know the names of 3 bee gee songs ditto for abba.....

no no no no!

I have never seen the movie saturday night fever! It was coming on the TV once and my wife said there was some good disco music in that movie...I went outside to watch the grass grow:-?

seriously dunno how you guys wore poly... it sucks! uncomfy itchy nasty

It must have had something to do with the drugs guys

Glen cannot picture you in the polyester suit man.....hehe... nice image

benevolance

I can say the same about my generation...

Never bought into the grunge thing...It has never been cool to avoid shampoo with me... Wearing stocking hats outside in the heat..... Dumb pulling up the underwear while your pants that are 5 sizes too big fall down.... Dumb

I even see kids getting tattooes on their faces and necks like mexican gang members...

What in the hell are these kids thinking? ten years ago the japanese/chinese symbol thing was popular... which made me laugh... Do you think that in China they are getting tattooes with our alphabet on them? or taking a map and using the  keys on it to start a new tattooe trend...

ooh ooh I want the symbol for a campground on my forehead ::)

glenn kangiser

How about some great Cocker -- Woodstock 69 - http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=lpnnrhwg1x

benevolance

great stuff there glenn

too bad that the good times were about to end and by 73 disco had taken over.

MountainDon

Quotebtw
How much land you got there Don...

I'm back for a wee bit....

One and a half acres; option on 4.5 or portion thereof.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

QuoteI welded on the week-end...All day long with shorts no shirt and sandals without socks...
Electric arc?   How's the sunburn?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

benevolance

No...Just Mig welding...I hate electric arc welding...I only do it when I have no other choice...if I can mig...I mig

MountainDon

Hep, I like my Millermatic 180, but outdoors when the winds blowing ya can't beat a stick welder like the nearly antique Lincoln I have.

glenn kangiser

I welded today -- Innershield NR232 at about 250 amps and 150 inches a minute - .068.  Lets see you do that in shorts and sandals, Peter. :)  About an hour should have you well done. ;D

Welcome back for a bit, Don-- we were having our way with your thread. :-/

MountainDon

QuoteI welded today -- Innershield NR232 at about 250 amps and 150 inches a minute - .068.  Lets see you do that in shorts and sandals, Peter. :)  About an hour should have you well done. ;D

Welcome back for a bit, Don-- we were having our way with your thread. :-/
A nice lobster red would be about right; and it hurts just as much as a sunshine burn. A long time ago I spent a few hours welding up a trailer in short sleeves, no gloves and wondered how I got sunburned inside the garage.

I now have a leather bib apron for longer jobs or when I don't have my already dot-burned jeans on. Also found that an old leather jacket with the linings all removed makes for good upper body protection especially if you're laying under the thing that you're welding.  :o

As long as you respect my thread you can do with it whatever you desire.  ;D

glenn kangiser

Promise, I'll still respect it in the morning, although it must pardon me if I don't say hello when I pass it on the street. :-/

Welding supply shops carry nice leather jackets for around $40 - and fire resistant cloth for less.  Fred was covered pretty good today but took a hot one on the top of the head and didn't have a sweaty welding cap on to put the fire out.  A few choice swear words seem to help though.  Welding 25 feet in the air - 12" column and 12" dia pipe bracing in a dairy milk drier warehouse.

MountainDon

On top of the head would smart, especially with a pate like mine, unless I was wearing an iron helmet.

MountainDon

QuoteI welded today -- Innershield NR232
I'm lazy.  :-[ I'd rather not change the wire. I usually opt for the stick if outdoors. Usually I try to get whatever it is into the garage.  :)

glenn kangiser

We have smaller welders and do what we can in the shop too.  On the jobs we use the big stuff.  Innershield is flux cored so is not affected by the wind - no shielding gas.

benevolance

Yes I have a big pair of long leather welding gloves...And even a auto tint shield which I do not like....Got used to the old welding helmet where you open the window....Get the stick lined up perfectly and close the window as you start welding....Did that for years until I broke my helmet... Thought I would upgrade to the auto tint...I dislike it very much....So much for technology :-/

I am not a great welder...Still gives me fits sometimes to be completely overhead......If it is something like exhaust on a car hoist I am okay...It is the welding a trailer hitch on a car that is only jacked up 2 feet and you are lying on your back in the driveway struggling type of overhead that kills me.

I only have 2 welders... a 25 year old lincoln electric and the little mig a 140

Guess that makes me a  pretender... which is okay I hate to weld...I mush prefer someone else who is better weld for me... Used to have a guy hanging around..I would design something draw it up cut the steel and fit it and he would weld it..He could weld drunk and blindfolded and it looked better than my welding...

MountainDon

QuoteAnd even a auto tint shield which I do not like....
I love my auto-shade glass. solar powered, it's never failed in years. Mine has a shade adjustment that is nice for when welding at lower amps. Different strokes for diff' folks, I guess   :-/

Upside down welding is difficult.