Wood Stove (Insert) Recommendation

Started by Redoverfarm, January 24, 2012, 07:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Does anyone here have anything to say about Quadra-Fire wood stove and inserts.  I am looking at an Insert for my parents fireplace.  Specificly 3100 or 4100 series. 

Redoverfarm

Since my earlier post my parents had the above mentioned insert installed into their home.  What a difference :).  Wood cosumption is really low and output is extremely high.  Before they started looking for an insert I had never ran across this manufacturer.  I got to looking at their products and they also manufacture free standing woodstoves which is more in line with the majority on the forum.  One nice feature is the Automatic Combustion Control.  [cool] It utilizes a mechanical thermostat which is used to boost the fire when loading or starting and then returns to the regular pre determined draft control after about 20-25 minutes.  With manuel stoves when you get busy and forget that you have it wide open to start then most of the wood is gone before you remember. 

http://www.quadrafire.com/en/Browse/Stoves.aspx

I am not trying to promote their products but when I see something that really works I like to share for the benefit of others. 

peternap

Thanks John!
First hand reports are always the best.

My only concern would be that it uses electricity. Can the damper be used without power?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: peternap on February 21, 2012, 11:02:23 PM
Thanks John!
First hand reports are always the best.

My only concern would be that it uses electricity. Can the damper be used without power?

Yes Peter the damper and ACC are independent of electric.  There is a fan if you choose to use it but I don't think it is required.  Both the primary damper and ACC are mechanical and like all other stoves.  Even without the blower it generates a lot of heat.  I think it is really helpful for inserts rather than stoves since the majority of the stove sits in the firebox and limits the radiant heat produced off the sides and back.  In addition they used a flexible Stainless Steel flue liner.  The amount of suet or should I say lack of suet produced is amoung the best in the industry when compared.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thanks for the recommendation.  We will probably be installing a wood stove when we finish out the garage and build on (we're going to have to... it is just way too crowded in here).  We love the existing fireplace, but it is highly inefficient.  It does warm the house well, but just wastes a lot of wood and too much heat goes right out the chimney. 

considerations

I had a Quadra Fire freestanding wood stove in the house in Oregon, and loved it. Small but mighty.

Redoverfarm

I think they are manufactured in WA state.  Far cry from the older Buck's and others of that time period.