Cabin project in east washington

Started by diyfrank, November 22, 2008, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

SkagitDrifter

Nicely done Frank-
With that foundation your cabin will be around for many years to come.
Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.
All the best-
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

diyfrank

I've started laying out my walls, precutting and numbering the pieces.
It worked out well so far. I was able to fine tune the pieces and cut and fit my rafter.

After laying out the first half gable with door and window, I duplicated the same layout minus the door and window for the remaining 3 half gables. Care was taken to make sure all was square & plumb. I double checked the math to make sure all cuts jived with my original plan calc's.

Here is my wall layouts.

Home is where you make it

JavaMan

Sweet! I had thought of doing something like that with a shed I want up at the ranch, but I don't have a dry space here that I could do it in.  I would think that it would speed constriction once you were on-site.

diyfrank

With any luck I hope to have 4 walls and a roof up in 1 weekend. It's exspensive to make the 7 hour trip loaded with wood.
I hate going there to do what could be done at home. ::)

diyfrank

We made it up there (My nephew and I) with a load. The weather was cold and wet when we arrived and had to chain up just to get to the site.

We had time to off load the wood and lay it out before getting late.
We spent the night sleeping under the cabin floor just in case it rained over night.
Saturday the walls started to come together.

Saturday night was real nice out and we spent the night inside the cabin for the first time.

This is where we left it on Sunday after packing up.

We'll hit it again in a few weeks and maybe get to the roof with any luck.

Yonderosa

Nice to see it taking shape.   I bet the stars were amazing.

It's amazing how many of us there are almost in hollering distance of each other.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Excellent pictures and documentation!  I'm learning something while reading and I love that about this website!!!

Now, besides that fact that you have awesome views and wildlife and excellent progress I have to say the foundation work pictures really got me thinking.  I've been debating what I plan to do with mine and I think once all the bracing work etc is done (yes I'm a tad late on it) I'm going to wall it in like yours!  I'll not have the ground work you did but I think I'm ok (it's very dry) -- I like the walled in idea for several reasons but one of them is critters!  I've noticed that something decided the South East corner would be a good place to hang out and all the plastic was moved away and the ground was disturbed in what looked like a sleeping spot for coyotes!  Hmmm....

Proud_Poppa

Good Grief!! What an awesome view you'll have! NICE
Near McCormick's Creek State Park, Owen County Indiana

diyfrank

One thing I've been meaning to do and haven't yet is cut ventilation holes in each corner and place a screen over the openings. I'm also planing to make a sliding door on the inside for closing the vents off, if and when needed.
I now have mold starting to grow underneath  in a few places.

Onces it's dried in and ventilated I think I'll be alright. I had the floor covered with plastic and tacked down real secure this winter but it seemed to let water under and trap it there. I think around a couple gallons drained off when I removed it.

bayview

It's amazing how undisturbed your property is!   Looks as if your cabin has always belonged there.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

diyfrank

My nephew and I hit it last weekend. We managed to get more framing and sheathing done.

A view standing on the loft,however once the roof is on it will loose the view

Looking out the Egress window in the loft. This would be an excellent place to be during hunting season. Animals like to cross right here regularly. I don't think I could hunt while laying in a sleeping bag tho.    :)

Yonderosa

That view SCREAMS "I need a dormer!" 

Maybe double/triple up a set of rafters for a future addition...  ;)
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

diyfrank

I agree a future dormer would be a great add on latter. I'll be happy to get it weather tight before November snow. ::)

Sassy

Quote from: Yonderosa on July 14, 2010, 07:06:21 PM
That view SCREAMS "I need a dormer!" 

Maybe double/triple up a set of rafters for a future addition...  ;)

That's what I was thinking!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

diyfrank

Heres an update on the progress my nephew Everett and I made last weekend.

Ridge in place.

Half of the rafters up.

A temporary. cat walk For safe work.

diyfrank

Also, we had cut the holes into the skirting for the crawl space vents a few weeks back and all seem to be dry below and no more mold. I did buy a mold cleaner but I think I'll wait to use it.

OlJarhead

Nice progress!  Were you up this past weekend?  We were up for a week and the nights were awesome!  I LOVE the 40 degree nights!

diyfrank

Thanks OlJarhead. Yes we were up there and the night were great.

JavaMan

Looks great!  Wish I could get up there and finish up ... alas, it won't be until September, I fear.

I see you used the "hangers" for the roof rafters on the ridge, I would think that would make putting them up a bit easier, right?  Did you put the hangers on the ridge before placing it? or after?

SkagitDrifter

Nice work Frank- Looking good.
I think I saw you heading over the SR 20 pass Friday evening- roof racks loaded with your pre cut rafters?
You guys pulled into Winthrop right in front of me about 8pm.  + -
I noticed your truck in one of your posts and when I saw it with the rafters I thought... That must be Frank!

Keep up the good work!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

diyfrank

Yes that would have been us. Next time give us a wave. ;)

diyfrank

Quote from: JavaMan on July 22, 2010, 09:43:32 AM
Looks great!  Wish I could get up there and finish up ... alas, it won't be until September, I fear.

I see you used the "hangers" for the roof rafters on the ridge, I would think that would make putting them up a bit easier, right?  Did you put the hangers on the ridge before placing it? or after?

What we did was set the rafter in place and tack it to the top plate to keep it from sliding.  Toe nail the rafter in place and added the Simpson A35. Then placed blocking in between and nail to the rafter and ridge.
As for the reason for using the brackets, just because I have them and something would be better than nothing. It wasn't hard to put them on.

diyfrank

I when up this weekend and got a little done. I had these guys on my video cam. Season opens Sept. 1st.  [cool]

OlJarhead