Wall mount urinal at home?

Started by Jimmy C., September 28, 2005, 10:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

As a father of three boys and each of my boys have 2 or 3 boys over all of the time.

I am thinking about installing a wall mount urinal.

At least in a small room in the garage I will build with my house.

I think I am aware of most of the pros and cons of this.

However, I have never known of one of these things being put in a home or shop.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Shelley

Well, why not?  Have often thought about that myself....but I've been told that the problem that I'm trying to cure still exists with urinals.

Architectural salvage places have tons of them.

And, read an article just lately.   Mfg in Europe or Asia is molding them with a small black fly embossed into the clay at a strategic location.  Gives the user something to concentrate on.  Statistics show that it works.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Billy Bob

The number one, so to speak, ;D reason for having a urinal, IMHO, is conservation.  Much less water to flush, and less burden on the septic.
If you happen to go the composting toilet route, it helps prevent excess moisture buildup in the bins.
There are also some proponents of collecting and diluting urine for use as a fertilizer, (it is as much as 15% nitrogen).  I never saw the reason for going to so much trouble, though; as long as one is discreet, I believe in direct application for ornamentals. ;)
Bill

glenn kangiser

A friend of mine in Oregon installed this redneck urinal through his shop wall so he didn't have to take a break from drinking beer and standing by the woodstove to go out to the tree in the rain.

I know--I know -- unsatisfactory. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

QuoteA friend of mine in Oregon installed this redneck urinal through his shop wall so he didn't have to take a break from drinking beer and standing by the woodstove to go out to the tree in the rain.

I know--I know -- unsatisfactory. :-/

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I think I could work that into my building budget.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

keyholefarmhouse

One of the most exciting reasons for moving out in the country is peeing outside.  Maybee you have a tree that needs 15% nitrogin.  As young boys we used to pee off the top of haystacks for fun.  Our town friends loved it.
Catch nine pounders

glenn kangiser

I guess I shouldn't mention that my cousin and I did it from about 30 feet up in a tree and my brother was on the ground.  Of course we had to call him over there.  BTW we were about 8 or 10 --not a current event. :-/

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

QuoteOne of the most exciting reasons for moving out in the country is peeing outside.  

Heh, ask saxfordalaska and rdzone why you turn your head when you pee outside when it is 30 below.  ;D
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

JRR

One thing to watch for is correct vent sealing in a urinal.  If the liquid seal doesn't cover all drain openings, then there will be unreachable surfaces that are impossible to clean ... but that really need to be!  Phew!  

The urinal's liquid level is sometimes hard to establish in the show room.  If the salesperson's head is turned, perhaps you can test it with the bottle water that you are carrying. Oops!  (LOL).

Many urinals are designed with the traps built-in the ceramics.   The (rare) ones that depend on external traps are therefore fully adjustible by the plumber.

glenn kangiser

Daddymem, I'm just guessing -but --Look out for flying ice shards when it hits the ground ???

Daddymem

A lot doesn't make it there.  :P  It is like the "game" we used to play at our dorm.  Our room was on the third floor above the door into the dorm.  When it got below say 30 below we would grab one of those big gulp cups full of hot water and wait for someone to come walking in the door.  We'd yell "watch out" and throw the water down on them.  Of course they would duck but the water would condense before it even made it to them.  That was fun  :P  You only waft number 1 once...you learn to turn your head  ;D

al bandy(Guest)

I installed one in my master bath in a home i renovated after a divorce and thinking like a single male.
I got remarried and my wife loved it. we were dating while i constructed the bath area and she thought i was nuts. but once she moved in she really liked the fact the seat was alwasys down, not having to clean the seat because of misfires, the urine smell, and less cleaning of the area around it. were now in another house i built as a spec but moved into. i constantly am reminded about her missing the urinaland have been given strict oreders on our up coming house there better be one. Besides it was a conversation point for both of us but more of a little "look what i've got girls that you don't" for my wifewhen showing it to female freinds.

tjm73

One of my good friends had on in his house for a while until he remodeled and his then fiance (now wife) wanted a laundry room.  The laundry room took out about 3 feet of the bathroom and took the urinal with it.  He loved it.  It was convienient.

I say do it, but do it like my friend did and get one of the ones that goes all the way from the floor up to like 40" high.  That way it's good for all ages.

benevolance

I don't care what anyone says...Men were made to pee outside.

9 times out of 10 I go outside...I never pee inside if it is after dark I walk outside. even if it is raining or cold...

The plumbing just works better that way. I grew up being outside all day long as a kid...we would be a mile from home playing in the woods or whatever...Nobody ever walked home to use the bathroom.

My wife makes fun of me getting up and putting on clothes to use the bathroom outside.

The urinal idea is pretty cool though. I think all camps/cottages should have one without question.

-Peter

jraabe

Peter:

Right on! In fact, my definition of country property involves being able to pee outside. You won't feel comfortable doing this in the city or suburbs. Thus the size of property needed to have "a country feel" will vary with the density of trees and bushes!  ;D

This is probably some primordial thing about marking territory.

Daddymem

Not sure what cities you go to but public urination is actually quite common...or maybe it is the sections I've been to  ;)

benevolance

If you want to hear something funny....I am trying to seal the deal on some land and when I was talking the wife into it my arguement was....

Sweetie we need 9.3 acres on the lake(1800 feet waterfrontage)...I mean we dont want the neighbors complaining when I go outside to take a ... errr leak... yeah that is what I said ;)

I remember being a little boy with my grandpa and he told me that men were made to pee outside...If it was good enough for Grandpa it is good enough for me...And someday I will teach my kids that it is bad to go inside too....

Long live the outdoors!

-Peter

glenn-k

It may take a little more land and/or good neighbors if you want to do it in your birthday suit ---- I've heard. :-/

benevolance

Glen...

Nah the Nova Scotia Forest is pretty thick..Balsom fur and Black Spruce offer great cover....

But you know if there are any ladies on the lake or next door I am sure they will be waiting around to see me naked...

As the wife tells it, I am hot stuff ::)

You would have to X ray vision to see through a couple hundred feet of uncut forest in Nova Scotia....They get insane rainfall And though the trees only get half as tall as out west in the pacific northwest...They are dense!

If a patch of Forest is all Hardwood and not overly dense you can see a fair ways in the middle of winter when the leaves are off. But the forest canopy is at  least half and half in Nova Scotia.

Besides I will have some of your trusty no tresspassing signs posted...So I am sure nobody will be bothering me! Especially inspector types! ;)

Daddymem

You could pretend you are outside peeing on the flowers...

hunter63

Was going to use one in "My" bathroom. so as to not have to deal with "girl stuff" but instead didn't put in a vanity (girl stuff) or outlet (hair stuff).
Works pretty well.

glenn kangiser

I could just see me using one of those and not having to polish it afterwards. :-/

Daddymem

QuoteI could just see me using one of those and not having to polish it afterwards. :-/

Save that for this ;)

Meanhwile, I'll be here.

glenn kangiser

Ahhhhhhhh -- Daddymem- the great and beloved ruler sits gallantly on the throne.

Reminds me of a story.

The King of a small island nation got word that a neighboring island nation King was going to raid his island and steal his golden throne.  He quickly called his people together and they decided that they should take his golden throne and stow it in the attic of his grass hut until the danger had passed.

Soon his lookout man came running, warning that the neighboring people had been sighted paddling their dugouts across the water.  The raiders arrived - looked around -- found nothing and left.  The plan worked --the throne was safe.

Unfortunately before they could remove the prized golden throne from the attic of the grass hut, a small temblor shook the island.  It was just enough to dislodge the throne from it's precarious perch in the attic and make it crash to the floor of the hut killing the King.

Moral of the story--- People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.

Not an original, but recalled from a rusty old memory. :-/