Homebuilt Camper questions (teeny tiny house?!?)

Started by Freeholdfarm, January 11, 2010, 04:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeholdfarm

Quote from: bayview on January 15, 2010, 06:51:38 AM

You may want to consider a "convertible" dinette/bed on the lower side of the bunks.  The top bunk could be on a hinge to fold up against the wall.

That's a good thought, one I should have thought of since I spent some time on a boat with a similar arrangement when I was in college.  Thank you.

Kathleen

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Jens

you could do a fabric skin that has then been "doped"  Doping is a technique that used to be used for Airplanes to turn canvas into a solid semi-rigid surface.  I read about it years ago in Street Rodder magazine.  I think it was Art Himsl who was building a Zeplin motorhome.  Don't know if Zeplin was the make, and it was being rebuilt, or if it was a totally custom deal that just looked like a zeplin and so he named it that.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

You can still buy aircraft dope. There are different types for different fabrics.  It shrinks to make the fabric drum tight and waterproof. The fabric can be applied over a substrate or stretched over an open framework.

http://www.randolphaircraft.com/index.html

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/dopesthinnrsolvents.php
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don I wonder about the aircraft material if it were placed in an area that had to be moved or reconfigured.  Most of those are in a permanent position on a rigid substrait. Probably not the best on a "pop-up" style but maybe on a permanent roof.

MountainDon

I was thinking of using it as the waterproof material to finish off a non folding roof. You are right, once doped it's not going to fold. I've used dope on model aircraft; same principle, just scaled down.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.