Home inside a home, or world's most expensive siding?

Started by FrankInWI, November 26, 2009, 05:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

Dear moderators, can we just stop this thread? The discussion has gotten way past the pros and cons of different types of construction and who can or cannot do it.   There's plenty of challenges in life. This forum has done well protecting with courteous and supportive discourse. It doesn't need negativity oozing into it. 

[yuk]

MountainDon

While I was away doing some work things have got a little out of hand.

IF there are any further flame like posts here the offender may find their access removed for a cool down period at the very least.

AlanD, I was not concerned about the pictures of those handsome handcrafted log buildings at first. What did concern me were your comments where you refer to others cabins as dog houses and sheds. While your comment about our members posting pictures of piles of lumber could be referring to images such as...

... somehow I believe you meant something different.

As far as referring to small homes as cabins, and your opinion that there is something wrong with that, I can honestly state that I never connected the word cabin with slavery. I believe most people associate the word cabin with simplicity and self reliance, two traits which many Americans find laudable. People I know refer to cabins as being small homes, typically in a rural, or semi-rural location. Googling the word cabin for definitions did not bring up any references to slavery. Maybe I didn't scroll far enough down the results?

That's the end of this discussion that has gone off on a tangent nobody needs. That is not just my opinion, there have been some private messages to the moderator crew from the membership at large. That's it, end of story.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Yeah, the thread did get a bit nasty here and there, but I certainly learned something.

Something funny!  :)

NE OK

MountainDon

AlanD, I thought we had an implicit agreement to let this war of opinions die a peaceful death.

Of course if you go to websites with a focus on old Southern plantations you will find cabins that housed slaves. Cheers.

If you would like to start a topic and showcase your log home please feel free to do so. I believe the original question in this topic has been adequately responded to.

This thread is closed. Let's all get on with something productive.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

If anyone looks this thread over you may notice some discontinuity in the later section.  :(  

That's due to someone who did not play well with others and deleted all their posts when they became miffed.

Sorry about that folks.

I may as well unlock this now; like opening the barn door after the horse is gone or something like that.  ???   sigh.....

glenn kangiser

Crimoney...

Here I go out slaving away for the man for a couple of days and I miss meeting Alan D and ALL of the fun.

Recon I'll just enjoy being in my cabin for a bit if y'all don't mind.  [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

Well Glenn, it just sounds exciting, it's really kinda pathetic and sad. Apparently someone I recommended in this thread googled his name and came over after inviting a sociopath to come with him. Needless to say I am a bit embarassed to have endorsed this individual and that mistake will not be repeated. I'm sorry to have had a hand in subjecting you all to that. There are people in this world who seem to be here solely to serve as a cautionary example to others.

RainDog

A sociopath? I didn't see that. I did, however, catch the clown act!

Everyone loves a circus.
NE OK

glenn kangiser

Seems those types just don't last around here. 

If they would monitor the forum a bit before going wacko, they would see that. 

No problem, Don_P... we are good at weeding them out. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.