Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

Loft floor. This is a trial run on the plank floor. The floor is stained but has no poly finish yet. Over the next couple of days I'll plug the nail holes and put the first coat of poly on. We'll see how this turns out before doing anymore of the floors.

Densguard is down ready for tile. We plan to go pick up the tile tomorrow if we don't get snowed in again. We had planed to get it last weekend but the roads where too iced up.

Redoverfarm

Scott from what I can see you will have a small triangular section of tile in front of the door.  What are your plans for the remaining floor adjacent.

I am like you as I need a few things but the weather has been real crappy for us as well.  It really doesn't look that much better in the immediate future.

ScottA

To the left is the closet. I'm picking up the door tomorrow as well. The closet will have drawers built in the bottom so the floor won't show there. In front of this area will be wood flooring. I just watched the weather and the snow should hold off till tomorrow night so we should be able to get to Tulsa in the morning without a problem.

speedfunk

yeah this weather :(  not good for anybody to get stuff done.

ScottA

No kidding. We've had -0 wind chills all day today. The good news is the woodstove at deer run keeps the place nice and toasty.

EcoHeliGuy

I'm fixing helicopters at -40 (not counting wind chill) and the helicopters are blowing wind down my winter gear   :(

ScottA

Are you in Fairbanks by any chance? I have a freind there that works on choppers for the Army.

EcoHeliGuy

Just out side of baker lake, Nunavut, western shore of the Hudson bay

considerations

"Nunavut, western shore of the Hudson bay"

That's cold. I promise I won't complain about the cold here again.

Scott, the thermal mass?  The counter top alone can make an appreciable difference?  I'm interested in this concept.

ScottA

It's not just the countertop but everything you put inside the house. Heavy dense materials tend to store heat best. They act like a battery. The biggest problem with woodstoves is the tempature swings. Mass helps soak up the heat when the stove is firing and then releases it after the fire dies down. This moderates the tempature swings. It also seems to have made the house quieter. Not sure why.

glenn kangiser

I think you will like the floor, Scott.  The mall in Fresno protected their stamped concrete with oil base polyurethane so it should hold up well.

From what I have read on the product, it has to be gloss or semi-gloss.  The satin does not have the hardeners for floor use.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Actually Mimwax recently came out with  new products for floors.  Might have some extra harders in them. 

Scott that is the principle of the soapstone stoves.  Well after the fire dies down or out it can generate alot of heat stored in the stone for several hours later.

ScottA

I put 1 coat of semi-gloss oil based polyurethane on the floor last weekend. The can says to put 3 coats on floors but I'll wait and do the other coats later. I think it looks pretty good so far. No warping or cracking to be seen yet. It says pretty warm in the loft so if it's going to move it should do so soon. My tile guy is comming in the morning to get started on the tile floors and kitchen backsplash. I'll be working on trim in the loft this week to stay out of his way as much as possible.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ScottA on January 10, 2010, 11:44:05 AM
I put 1 coat of semi-gloss oil based polyurethane on the floor last weekend. The can says to put 3 coats on floors but I'll wait and do the other coats later. I think it looks pretty good so far. No warping or cracking to be seen yet. It says pretty warm in the loft so if it's going to move it should do so soon. My tile guy is comming in the morning to get started on the tile floors and kitchen backsplash. I'll be working on trim in the loft this week to stay out of his way as much as possible.

Yeah I think 3 coats is pretty well standard. I have always did 3 coat on everything.  I usually do two and let it throughly dry, sand with 220-360, dust off, tack with either a tack cloth or rubbing alcohol on lent free cloth then recoat.

MountainDon

Quote from: ScottA on January 10, 2010, 08:22:30 AM
It also seems to have made the house quieter. Not sure why.

Mass will also help reduce resonance.

Back home the walls of the radio studio where I knew the engineer, were lined with a thin lead sheet.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

Scott, I've forgotten if you've mentioned this or not, are you going to live there full time?

ScottA

QuoteScott, I've forgotten if you've mentioned this or not, are you going to live there full time?

Yes

jimconnors

Scott,

I just got done reading through the whole thread, and wow - nice work, fit and finish is top notch!  [cool] I have to say, there are more than a few things that I noted in my sketch book for future inclusion in my own project.

Good luck with the finish out, and enjoy the place!  I'll be re-reading your posts for lessons learned as I finish planning out my own place just south of the red river down here in Texas.

Jim

poppy

Jim,  w* to our world.

Right away I have a request (that I wish everyone would do), and that is to put your location (what part of Texas) in your profile so it shows up in your posts.

You will probably be asking questions in the future and many of the answers are affected by where you are building.

Some things that I could help someone with conditions similar to mine, are things that I may not be able to help you with.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread Scott, just trying to help a new member.  :P

MountainDon

It's not all that difficult to do as poppy suggests. One does need to know where to look to add such details. Once a member has made 2 posts they can access that area.

See...    http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4973.0

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Thanks for the kind words and  w* to the forum Jim.

ScottA

Couple of new pics.

ScottA

Sorry not much to report lately. I have been working on the woodwork (trim, handrails etc.)in the loft. The hand rails are all installed waiting for finishing next week.The 6' sliding closet door by the veranda door is in also. Still a good bit of trim remains.I got started on the office area this week building some shelfs and part of the built in desk is done.

On a side note I've been heating the cabin with wood pretty much all winter. So far I've burned about 1/2 a cord. Considering winter is 2/3 over that pretty darn good. The little Jotul stove is the perfect size for this house in this climate if anyone is considering one.

We have snow and ice so I'm staying home today. I'll hopefully get to make new pictures next week.

TexstarJim

Hey Scott, I couldn't see this thread because it was grouped in with the stickies.  Now that I've seen your progress since last time I looked, I want to compliment you on all your fantastic work.  It sure is coming together for you.  Good job! ;D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"