OFF GRID POWER; various thoughts on...

Started by MountainDon, January 13, 2009, 02:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

in "tax 'em till they bleed" Wisconsin I pay $2889 per year on 105 acres with a small house

guess I don't feel too bad .....

the CRP covers it for now -- expires 2014

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

You are safe then -- the world ends in 2012.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

altaoaks

thats right, we wont have to worry about taxes and building permits after, what is that... december 21st, 2012.  glen and sassy, i hope theres a standing offer of visiting your underground cabin about that time for us forum folks,  ill bring food!

glenn kangiser

I thought it was earlier, but yes - just checked - Dec 21, 2012.  All CP members are invited here to watch it from the ridge top.  It will of course be a pot luck event to insure that there is enough food for the occasion....that way no matter how many show up, we are covered.....  The view should be good from here.  :)

There are apparently some predictions for 2011 also but that is too early for me.... I'm going to sit that one out and wait for the Mayan one.... [ouch] 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

AdironDoc

ABC News: "doomsayers assert that Earth will be ravaged by a smorgasbord of cataclysmic astronomical events -- everything from a Planet X flyby to a "killer" solar flare to a geomagnetic reversal, ensuring we have a very, very bad day"

Sounds like a party! But...

Huffington Post: "According to a recent study by an associate professor at UC Santa Barbara, this fundamental "end date" may also be inaccurate. It could be at least 60 days out of whack."

Better bring some extra beer, Glenn.  ;D

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 13, 2010, 01:33:55 AM
I thought it was earlier, but yes - just checked - Dec 21, 2012.  All CP members are invited here to watch it from the ridge top.  It will of course be a pot luck event to insure that there is enough food for the occasion....that way no matter how many show up, we are covered.....  The view should be good from here.  :)

There are apparently some predictions for 2011 also but that is too early for me.... I'm going to sit that one out and wait for the Mayan one.... [ouch] 

glenn kangiser

OK... looks like sleeping bags will be in order with the extra beer.   [ouch]

Reminds me of when we all used to get out the lawn chairs and sit on the beach in Oregon so we wouldn't miss seeing how big the Tsunami was.  Nothing like being there in person.... [waiting]

AdironDoc

I don't know how things go on your end of things, but whenever there's a storm coming, two things go fast; water and beer. I've started stocking long ago but test for quality on a routine basis.

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 13, 2010, 05:35:52 PM
OK... looks like sleeping bags will be in order with the extra beer.   [ouch]

altaoaks

ok mountaindon and adriondoc, 8) i got the message and i am stocking up on the water and the beer, tell sassy ill bring potluck with extra.  (is that bud, or coors?)

hey, was that 60 days early, or 60 days late? of course, 60 days late would put up into 2013.  some people are saying all of the numerous large earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, and a tsunami or 2 is early results of the event as the solar flares have already begun.  stay sharp!

glenn kangiser

HAARP was accidentally left on high during some of the events.  [ouch]

I am not sure if it was early or late so it would only be prudent to stock enough beer for 120 days..... [waiting]

...truth be known, for me that would be about 4 beers......

I drank enough when I was 17 to last.... :)

Sassy

You can all just hang out & we'll keep the gardens going if the dates are off...  and we'll put you to work on the underground cabin   c* ;D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

AdironDoc

Being in an underground house, Glenn is most likely of all of us to survive any meteor strikes and solar flares. Maybe we should all start digging?

Also was thinking.. taxes are based on size of houes, number of bathrooms, etc. If my front door is a ladder down, good luck assessing me. Nice thought.

glenn kangiser

..and it is all accurately documented and sent to the assessor when you contract your rights away signing the line on the permit...Note that it is not necessarily easy or reassuring if you decide to try to avoid it either.  Ex-post facto laws try to trump inalienable rights and common law (the true law of the land)  in code situations.

As I mentioned before , one of our supervisors told a friend that the permit process was not for safety, but rather for taxation.

Safe practices used to be the responsibility of the master carpenter and old buildings attest that he did a pretty good job.  Now they are given to a county inspector who many times does not really care.  The failure of our DMV carport, The County Library in Coulterville, the flooding of the building and safety departments new castle lower floor, as well as the travesty linked below all attest to the same thing.

Collected the fees - charged the taxes - went through inspection motions, yet claim they have nothing to do with insuring quality or safety... primarily a taxation tool and guarantee that you will buy from those who have paid off the system....

http://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/mariposa-daily-news/92/1265-a-failed-driveway-and-mariposa-county-claims-immunity

Shawn B

Never been to California.........could visit Yosemite  :) a party at Glenn's would probably be way  [cool] Just one question are you the part of California that will fall into the Pacific or will you be the owner of new beach front property....if only for a few days?
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

glenn kangiser

Beach front property.... solid rock below us for almost 3000 feet to the new sea level.... we hope.... [waiting]

We have had some cool parties here .... muldoon, whitlock, harry51, adawgk, mikeyB, PEG got close but his sister wouldn't let him leave so we went to see him......others... We all feel pretty safe here.  :)

AdironDoc

We widened our driveway, which required a permit. Permit fee was over a grand. Later, an arborist was spotted traipsing about our land cataloging which trees they would allow to be cut. We put up $2K for a bond, "just in case", a tree got damaged. Whille 12 trees were removed, a sapling's bark got scarred by the backhoe. $2K gone. The town "owns" trees over 3 inches in diameter. Mental note: remove every gosh darned tree not yet 3". Groundcover may not be removed without permit. Mental note, stop  cutting grass on the slope in front of the house.

Our neighbor, without permits, took down over 30 trees, regraded their slope, and did their driveway. They paid $3K in fines, and got a variance a few months later.

Next time, we do it, and ask forgiveness  later. Welcome to the suburbs of Long Island.

glenn kangiser

phalynx

Permits are almost EVERYWHERE now.  Texas is the last holdout and I don't think it will be long.

MountainDon

Last weekend I cut down a few big old dead and half dead Aspens. One of them fell on a small (maybe 4 inch) pine and smashed it flat. Too bad. I was going to cut it anyways. Next week I'm planning on cutting several more dead and mostly dead Aspens. Good firewood. Then I'm going to cut a couple of national forest trees that are endangering the south fence, already leaning and tangled in the uppers.

I asked karen. She said fine. Good enough for me.  ;)

You ought to look at the West.  No on second thought don't. Too many people here already. Well I might make an exception.  ;D  

How do they decide what to cut? I take out the small crap and those others that are too crowded. But I like being able to pick them myself. There are a couple I saved for shooting at. Trying to see how many 45 and 50 cal. rounds it'll take. Try that in NY.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Cool - stormy tonight and my wind generator is putting out about 800 watts.  :)

Extra power from a home brew one could be a nice addition.

AdironDoc

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 15, 2010, 01:40:18 AM
Cool - stormy tonight and my wind generator is putting out about 800 watts.  :)

Extra power from a home brew one could be a nice addition.

Thanks for getting me off my rant and back on topic, Glenn  d*

My upstate land is my sanctuary from the madness of living in an area of 12 million. Like, Don, I enjoy using my 30/30 or 12 to keep a few unruly trees in line.

800 watts is awesome! Imagine if we could average 200W each hour every hour of every day.. Heck, I'd settle for 100... Send some wind over here

glenn kangiser

I wasn't necessarily trying to get you back on topic, Doc... I just had a power related comment to make....

My grandfather was born in Dolgeville... [waiting]

:)

AdironDoc

For a moment I thought the topic of this thread was "OFF TOPIC; various thoughts on land ownership..."  ;)

I love Dolgeville! Nice town, nice people, cut through by the beautiful West Canada Creek. When I drive through, my pulse quickens because I know I'm close to camp. :)

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 15, 2010, 12:45:07 PM
I wasn't necessarily trying to get you back on topic, Doc... I just had a power related comment to make....

My grandfather was born in Dolgeville... [waiting]
:)

glenn kangiser

Really..... I wasn't sure what part of the state you were in...   [ouch]

1890 - was a couple years ago....likely no one remembers us.... they went to Oregon shortly after that.  Had other relatives in W. Winfield and one died In the Cooperstown rest home.

No wind on the wind generator tonight..... rofl

altaoaks

c*hi everyone, well i hit the jackpot today.  when i arrived at the customers house with the new solar install, the solar rep was there following up on the job.  i had the opportunity to ask about power buy-back and the buy-back rate.

well, our industrious public utilities commission gets the honor of setting the rate!  and at this point they have not set this rate.  we all know who the PUC reports to, the power companies!  supposedly the rate will be set around march, 2011

the rep said that the way its going to work is the homeowner gets a bill of approx. $5 monthly, which is the transmission fees/taxes.  12 months from install, and every 12 months thereafter, the power company calculates what is owed either to or by the customer (this is called the "true-up")  the customer either gets a bill or a credit.

should be interesting to see how cush a deal PG&E and SO CAL Edison get out of their buddies over there at the PUC.  lobbiests rule!

glenn kangiser