Converting wood cook stove to propane?

Started by CREATIVE1, May 15, 2008, 07:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

I see lots of information online about converting natural gas to propane, but not much about the cost and complexity of converting a wood cook stove to propane. 

I'd like to leave at least part of the stove (a Beechwood Superb, absolutely amazing) wood burning, like at least one of many ovens. Haven't bought the stove yet--cast iron with salmon enamel!!! Great condition!!!  As you can see, I really want it, but can't afford to use it as a giant doorstop.

MountainDon

Well, natural gas to propane, or vice versa, is simply a change of the orifice size. Converting a wood burner to gas of any kind is a whole new kettle of fish.

New parts and how to mount them; where and how to mount the controls.... venting... And the biggie... is it certified/approved? That will be the big stumbling block I believe. Gas company won't, or isn't supposed to, connect their gas to any appliance that is not approved for the application I believe. And your insurance company would probably freak.

Or am I seeing only the dark black side again???   d* d*
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Government control has you brainwashed, Don. rofl

As Don mentions, it will never be approved but I will say - not impossible.  Probably hard and you would want to make it safe.  Likely robbing a late model one of parts - having welding and shop skills and studying to have a full understanding of how every component in the system works will get it done.  Cast iron does not weld well so most steel is better bolted to it.  Repairs can be done but an improper weld can break and induce any cracks.

There are antique restorers who may have upgraded parts for restorations of gas stoves.  Restored gas stoves were in the range of $4000 to $6000 a few years ago.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 15, 2008, 10:06:44 AM
Government control has you brainwashed,....

Living in an urban environment with rules I grit my teeth at times and usually go with the flow if it's necessary. I do have a few things that are outside of the approved method, but those are not likely to be found.

It's part of my nature to analyze the situation and assess the pitfalls beforehand, instead of leaping forward and being sorry later. Sort of like when I go 4-wheeling and can't see over the top of the rise. It doesn't mean I don't go there, but I like to know what may be over the bump before I get there.

Ditto when dealing with officialdom officialdumb.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

CREATIVE1 just breakdown and buy a truck, chainsaw, axe, maul, woodsplitter and go at it for what it was intended to be used for.  I am going to put a wood burning cookstove in my cabin. But it will not be the primary stove as I am also going with a propane stove when I get too old or lazy to cut wood.

glenn kangiser

It is kind of fun sometimes to cook on the old wood stove -- ours has both, but not for a steady diet and not in the summer here.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CREATIVE1

Your answers have been most helpful, and about what I expected.  I'd use it as a woodburner, but I'm under IBC2006 code and don't know how I would make the installation comply with code?

I did call a couple of companies that did conversions (none in Florida) but they wouldn't convert your stove, they wanted to sell you theirs for $7,000 to $10,000.  I may be able to get this one for about $1,200.  Rough guesstimate, it's a $10,000 stove. 

So, let's talk about cooking on a wood stove. Never done that.  If we can install this stove without fighting officialdumb (love that) I'm willing to learn. 

Redoverfarm

I would say that if a woodstove is permissable wher you live and the stove was installed within code for that area the same as a wood heat stove there wouldn't be a whole lot they could say.  Just the mixture of eggs, bacon,biscuits, old perculator coffee and a little smoke in the kitchen makes me hungry.  Remember growing up my grandparents had a wood cook stove which was one of the alarm clocks in the morning (smell of breakfast) that made me jump up from the unfinished attic, grab my clothes and run to the kitchen.  Partially to get a breakfast but more importantly to get behind the stove and get dressed where it was warm.

glenn kangiser

QuoteI'm under IBC2006 code and don't know how I would make the installation comply with code

How in the world did you get under that -- sounds heavy.  Some state corporate supporting bureaucrats drop it on you?  Somebody get that thing off of her and get her free. 

I'm not telling you to do anything, Creative, but if I liked it I would buy it and I would do as I pleased - after all other issues were settled.  That's what I would do but I don't know what you might do.

I would also be sure there was a noncombustible wall and maybe added safety shields if it was mine and I would happily cook away on it.  Obviously in its hundred and some years it has not gone through a fire.. 

Common sense (what's that?) and safety can still keep it usable - if I was doing it for me.  Might be different for someone else -- I don't know.

Note: I always avoid paying fees for the state to protect me from myself if I can-- I'm stupid -- I know.  Now  if someone will kindly show the mafia man the way to the door and don't let it hit him in the a$$ on the way out.  That's just the way I might do it.  Not telling you to do anything.... [crz]

Be safe -- be sane -- enjoy your rights --use common sense--  I didn't tell you anything except how I would do it.

MountainDon

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on May 15, 2008, 09:19:53 PM
....I'm under IBC2006 code and don't know how I would make the installation comply with code?.....

Oh crap!! I never thought about the emissions issue.... I doubt you would be able to get it passed because of that; what with WA State being at the forefront of wood burner restrictions. Unless they somehow never gave thought to wood burning cook stoves, or would give an exemption if it was your sole method of cooking.  :-\ That argument probably wouldn't fly in light of this being an all new building, would it?? 

:( :(

Yeah I found a couple websites that sell converted wood cookers, but they had notes/disclaimers to the effect of no conversion parts sales....

IF you were able to design the kitchen with the wood burner in mind, build it and have a propane range installed to obtain the CO.... then do an unauthorized remodel and install that wood burner beauty.... you might get away with it.  ??? ???  A lot of extra work what with the changes, installing a new chimney, etc.

Glenn, from what I read neither you nor anyone would pull this off in WA state; not with the fact that they are going to be inspectors, etc. doing their thing. Call me a pessimist; I can take it.

Creative1, glad you like "officialdumb".  It came to me out of the blue...  ::) :o

Redoverfarm

Not that I would do any thing underhandedly but if a person did build a flue and borrowed a wood heat stove to pass what ever you had to pass and then replace it with a wood cookstove later.  Shoot you can't cook breakfast on a small wood heat stove. Huh  ;)

John_C

Quotesomeone will kindly show the mafia man the way to the door and don't let it hit him in the a$$ head on the way out

glenn kangiser

I remember driving through Washington trucking with the wood smoke hanging in the passes east of Seaddled.

You mean there is a state that is more of a police state than California? hmm

I don't suppose a catalytic converter would keep that thing from smoking.

Putting words in my mouth, John? rofl

MountainDon

!!!!!

FWIW... from this website...
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm

All wood stoves except cookstoves, (my emphasis added) furnaces and site-built fireplaces sold in the U.S. must comply with the EPA Phase II Wood Stove Emissions Regulations.
     :D   The restrictions on wood burning stoves in WA are stricter than the EPA, but that site doesn't make it clear if WA has left the cook stoves exempt or not.

So it may be possible if they are exempt and if the clearance to combustibles issue can be solved....

Maybe try for whether or not that stove could go in in its wood burning configuration and do the conversion to parts of it later. ???   

MountainDon

:(   a quick Google on modern day wood cook stoves came up with rear clearances of 12 to 24"   :o

[noidea'

considerations

WASHINGTON STATE BUILDING CODE CHAPTER 51-51 WAC First Edition INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE
2003 Edition Washington

R303.8.3 Solid fuel burning devices. No used solid fuel burning device shall be installed in new or existing buildings unless such device is United States Environmental Protection Agency certified or a pellet stove either certified or exempt from certification by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
Exception: Antique wood cook stoves and heaters manufactured prior to 1940.
(

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but it might help. 

considerations

Just found the update for IRC2006....it looks like...Anyway, nothing has changed.   Hope your stove is old enough...well, er, I mean, I hope things work out.

www.sbcc.wa.gov/docs/IBCex.pdf

glenn kangiser

Good find, Considerations.  I think that should cover it.

CREATIVE1

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 15, 2008, 10:11:12 PM
Not that I would do any thing underhandedly but if a person did build a flue and borrowed a wood heat stove to pass what ever you had to pass and then replace it with a wood cookstove later.  Shoot you can't cook breakfast on a small wood heat stove. Huh  ;)

I have a wood stove heating the house too, so I don't think that would work.  The other stove is only about ten feet away.

CREATIVE1

Quote from: MountainDon on May 15, 2008, 10:59:33 PM
!!!!!

FWIW... from this website...
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm

All wood stoves except cookstoves, (my emphasis added) furnaces and site-built fireplaces sold in the U.S. must comply with the EPA Phase II Wood Stove Emissions Regulations.
     :D   The restrictions on wood burning stoves in WA are stricter than the EPA, but that site doesn't make it clear if WA has left the cook stoves exempt or not.

So it may be possible if they are exempt and if the clearance to combustibles issue can be solved....

Maybe try for whether or not that stove could go in in its wood burning configuration and do the conversion to parts of it later. ???   

THAT is very interesting, and maybe the way out.

I also have a 45 x 14 foot two story pole barn on the property, which we were going to use as an outdoor living room/greenhouse/storage/extra living space.  I have an old Mama Bear I was going to put out there, But---------- :)--