Poppy's 16x16 timber frame cabin

Started by poppy, June 24, 2009, 02:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

On this trip out to the farm the loggers were not working, but they brought in their skid loader which they say will be faster than the dozer.

They had done some work while I was away, so I took a walk around to see what I might salvage.

This is a 6' piece of a large white oak.  It looks like there is a 24" x 2" x 5' slab asking to be let out of there.  ;)

On second thought, maybe there is a chair begging to be let out of there.  ???

This is the other end of that log showing another log section and the stump in the back ground.  These logs are across a pretty big ravine so will be a challenge to drag out of there.

poppy

Just a quick update on the mystery tree.  Here are a couple more photos.

This is what was left at the base of the 5" tree.  The dark heart wood kind of suggests cherry?

I found these leaves in the area, but there's no way to confirm that they came from this tree.

Peg may have been correct on the wild cherry, because the inner bark is a reddish brown and may very well taste like almond.

poppy

Back to the cabin.  After unloading some more lumber from my backyard supply guy, I got to work on some more notching.

This is the first cut on the joist notch for the stone floor section.

And the end result of notching all 6 joists, 3 full length primary and 3 extra secondary ones to support a little less than 5' of stone.  Still have some more reinforcing to do on a couple of them and need to finish the blocking.

This is an attempt to show how the sun will hit the south side at high noon on a late Nov. day.  :D

poppy

Progress has been slow on the cabin, too slow; but here is a scene that I pass about 5 miles before getting to the farm. 

This guy has been working on this driveway since before I bought the farm over 3 years ago.  It would be interesting to know how many tons of fill he has used thus far in making the causeway from the road.

He did start some site work at the top of the hill this year, but no signs of construction yet.

In the mean time, the logger next door have been moving slow themselves.  No sign of more felling.

Here is an interesting maple that I will keep an eye on to see if they leave anything for me.

No logging next door, but I decided to fell a tree at the top of my hill near where I got 3 red oaks previously.

The tree was pretty crucked, but I was able to get a good 8' log at the bottom and a decent 12' log also.

poppy

The tree just felled has me a little confused.

Here is the stump and log plus a corkscrew-like branch from near the top.

This is the new log on the left next to a red oak log felled a few weeks ago.

And here is the top of the newly felled tree on the right with the top of the red oak on the left.

I had assumed that it was a red oak like the other 3 that I harvested in the area previously.  But this tree was already a standing dead when I took possession of the property 3 years ago, so couldn't be sure of the type.  ???

I was expecting it to be hollow, but is seems to be pretty solid throughout the length of the trunk.  I'm pretty sure it's not a white oak or maple or hickory.  Black oak maybe?  Or just a darkened red oak that has been dead a long time.   I'm at a loss.  d*

poppy

After Considerations showed us their Franklin fireplace and the proposed pot crane, I took a closer look at my Franklin and took some pics.

It is a Sears model 143 that I picked up for $100 from craigslist back in May.

It has stuff that I had forgotten about.

The crane for some reason won't swing completely out of the firebox, so I have to fiddle with it a little more, I guess.  You may be able to see a little door over a round hole on the bottom left wall; for air supply adjustment I suppose.  There's one just like it on the right side wall.

Just a shot with the doors open and shows the air supply adjustment at the bottom of the doors.

And now for the $64,000 question.

What's the thing on the right of the crane used for?   It fits the crane bracket.

This shot also shows the damper and its control system.

Pine Cone

Looks a bit like the thingie partway down this link under Betty Lamps.  Is there a space for one on the other side as well? 
http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/furniture/Olden-Time/Fires-And-Lights-Part-2.html

Whitlock

I don't believe it is all there it is missing the saucer shaped metal tray. We used the one in my Gramps's house for the oil lamp in the summer no smoke and pretty safe. Just like Pine Cone said but with a newer lamp.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Redoverfarm

Poppy just a shot in the dark but if it fits the bracket then I would say a support for a tray or platform.  It might be used in cooking to sit some small based iron ware on.  The notches would maybe be used for adjustment.  If it is it would be interesting to see what the platform would look like.

BTW I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your Photo and posted it on an Antique Stove Forum and maybe someone there will shed some light on the subject.  I will let you know if there are any hits.

poppy

Pine Cone
QuoteLooks a bit like the thingie partway down this link under Betty Lamps.  Is there a space for one on the other side as well? 
That thingie in the Betty lamp photo. is exactly what I have in storage somewhere.  It was left in the 1930's house that we sold in 1994 and we took it with us.  Someone told us that it was for some kind of adjustable lamp, but we had never confirmed it.  So thanks, Pine Cone.  I'll have to dig it out now.  :P

Yes, on the other side of the firebox there are two bolts where a second bracket could be mounted.

poppy

John 
QuoteBTW I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your Photo and posted it on an Antique Stove Forum and maybe someone there will shed some light on the subject.  I will let you know if there are any hits. 
I don't mind at all; in fact I'm grateful for the help. Besides, the photo is in the public domain on Photobucket.

When I first got the Franklin I tried to find a manual on line but was unsuccessful.  Perhaps the folks on the stove forum can be of some help there also.

Whitlock

Hey Pops are there any on the back corners maybe used for some type of barbeque grate ???
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

poppy

No Whit, I didn't see anything in the back corners, but I will check again.

You are probably right about the tray, but it is curious that only one bracket and only one saw tooth thing was with it.

TexstarJim

Poppy, I don't think it goes with the stove, just something the previous owner tossed in.  I am curious to what it is and hopefully we will all find out.  Neat looking old stove and you sure can't complain about the price.  I have the worst luck trying to find anything on Craig's list, just never seem to find a bargain on something I need. d*
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

MountainDon

Quote from: TexstarJim on December 15, 2009, 02:12:50 PM
Poppy, I don't think it goes with the stove, just something the previous owner tossed in. 

;D ;D  We just gave away a small outdoor playset and slide and tossed a sandbox cover in with it. My comment to Karen was, "I'd like to see them trying to fit this to the playset."

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

Jim, you might be right that the stairstep thing doesn't go with the stove, but why would it fit on the bracket?

Deals on craigslist come and go; it just takes some patience and a little luck.

Don, what you did with the sandbox cover reminds me of things my dad used to do when he was a pup.  :D

glenn kangiser

The stove thing looks like a variable elevation jack to prop a hinged leg in for the pot crane to me also.  Maybe the crane was not the original.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

poppy

Have not had a chance to get out to the farm lately, but did find a recent for sale ad for a Sears Franklin Fireplace that claims to have a cooking grate with it.  Could the thing on the left inside the firebox be the adjustable thing that I have?
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=ref&q=http://for-sale.yakaz.com/franklin-fireplace-stove&usg=AFQjCNEhza7rnVIPmkFh3KUkK1AQ7u5HSw

poppy

Well gang, I took the chance that the Franklin fireplace ad was still active (on Scranton craigslist) and Emailed the seller and he sent me this photo of the cooking grate.

It appears maybe that the grate cantilever's off the saw-tooth bracket and will rotate in and out of the firebox.  Is the mystery solved?  

I Emailed the seller again today to see if I can get a pic. of the grate installed in the firebox.  He said he could send more pics. on Mon.

Redoverfarm

Well Poppy it looks as if you may have solved part of the mystery anyway.  It doesn't appear to fit your particular bracket but many stove manufacturers would modify the original patent designs and call it their own.  Maybe there was a different bracket designed for your stove to work in about the same manner.

TexstarJim

Poppy, does the stair-step bracket fit into the two holes that the elbow fits into?  I mean, is the distance the same on both items?  Just curious and was wondering if it did, then perhaps some other item is missing that utilizes the stair-step bracket.  Perhaps another little elbow that holds something suspended above the fire.

And Poppy, I'm not the brightest bulb in town so I fail to see any connection to the your stove and the one you borrowed from Craig's list as a comparison to what use the stair-step bracket really is.

I think we still have a bonafied mystery on our hands. ???

TexstarJim

And if the grate in the picture from Craig's list actually hangs on the stair-step bracket, then the mystery of who invented the Pineapple Upside Down Cake has been solved too. :P

poppy

John
QuoteIt doesn't appear to fit your particular bracket but many stove manufacturers would modify the original patent designs and call it their own.
Jim
Quotedoes the stair-step bracket fit into the two holes that the elbow fits into?
QuoteI fail to see any connection to the your stove and the one you borrowed from Craig's list as a comparison
Actually John, I think the grate mounting ear will fit my bracket.

And yes Jim, my stair-step bracket does indeed fit the mounting holes that the elbow (crane) fits.

To both John and Jim; The fireplace that I borrowed from craigslist is the 8th one down on that link and was made by Sears which is who made mine.  They look like the same product to me, so I'm still thinking that the parts are original and therefore fit both.

If the seller follows through tomarrow with more pics.; we should have confirmation one way or the other.

Jim
QuoteAnd if the grate in the picture from Craig's list actually hangs on the stair-step bracket, then the mystery of who invented the Pineapple Upside Down Cake has been solved too.
Oh, ye of little faith.  [slap]

poppy

Just to add some fuel to the fire, so to speak....

This is a portable fireplace grill set-up.  Me thinks it is patterned somewhat off the Franklin design.  Or am I over-reaching?  d*

TexstarJim

Yep, I can see the connection and I can see how a cake could take a "Peter Pan" off that baby too.......hahahaha! ;D