Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 09, 2013, 02:46:00 PM
Worse come to worse you can always go with a Studor valve.  Shoot I have even just use a "T" 4-6" piece of corresponding pipe size on the "up hill side of the trap" which will allow air to entry to drain. The trap if kept full will block the smell from reaching the studor or other.  But you should have at least one vent to carry the smells out but it may not have to go there if it doesn't work out maybe somewhere down the line.

Looked at how that was done and may consider it if the vent I show above doesn't work ;)

PorkChopsMmm

Thanks for the reply OJH. That's a lot of work but a good way to get it done.

OlJarhead

Internet, phone and propane ordered.  Looks like I'll have two of them show up on the same day -- trying to get the 3rd there then also.

Next is TV

OlJarhead

After much shimming and mortaring we managed to get the 2nd layer of cinder blocks down and with little additional work the 3rd layer and the bond block layer (lintel?) set.  Then we managed to surface bond the outside walls (ran out of SBC) and while not the prettiest we think for an over glorified 'shed' it ought to work.  We then filled cavities (decided to go for thermal mass vs empty cavities) with dirt except those needed to be cemented for structural reasons and took a break.  Saturday was a busy day.

Rebar and cement done.  All we need now is to finish the inside walls with SBC and tough up the exterior and I think paint with a water proof paint (I'll double check that) and we're ready for framing more or less.

Picked up the generator too but we're not ready to install just yet ;)

While I was using the tractor to bring dirt to the back of the cabin to fill cavities I did some backfilling too :)

Next weekend we will be backfilling the rest of the water line, trenching in a phone linie and installing a dry well for the composting toilet as well as finishing the SBC work on the cinder block walls, framing in walls and hopefully a roof and installing the composting toilet -- oh and putting in a P trap for the tub too!  Good thing I plan to be there 4 days instead of two.

Redoverfarm

Eric that generator only weighs 387 #.  You would think that you will need the tractor to set it in place but a couple of able bodies can do it with a couple pieces of 1" pipe about 5' long.  If you notice there are two round holes in the base which match up from front to back.  Insert the pipe through and pick up both pieces per man per side.  At least that is how they move them here.

Oh yeah unless you remembered.  You will need a Group26R-525CC battery.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 15, 2013, 08:36:58 PM
Eric that generator only weighs 387 #.  You would think that you will need the tractor to set it in place but a couple of able bodies can do it with a couple pieces of 1" pipe about 5' long.  If you notice there are two round holes in the base which match up from front to back.  Insert the pipe through and pick up both pieces per man per side.  At least that is how they move them here.

Oh yeah unless you remembered.  You will need a Group26R-525CC battery.

Yes but I have a tractor ;)

My motto is:  work smarter not harder ;) lol

OlJarhead

And got the battery with it since it didn't make any difference for shipping and was about normal price.

OlJarhead

I have to admit that once we finished the cement work on the cinder block walls it really felt great!  I'm still quite stoked because I'm not a cement guy.  Concrete work is a weak point and while not really intimidating it's not somoething I look at with a great deal of confidence.  Now, however, I look at the work we've done and KNOW framing walls on top of it and a roof above them will be a piece of cake :)

The 'shed' will be done and the composting toilet, water supply, hot water heater and solar power systems will all remain warm in the winter.  THAT is worth all the effort :)

Won't be much extra room in there but it will make the cabin 'liveable' in the winter.

My biggest issue now is where to put the propane heater in the cabin!   d*  With a small cabin like this one there isn't a lot of useable wall space left and I'm starting to think the loft is going to have to work for me.

Redoverfarm

Eric probably of all places you will not need a heater will be in the loft.  Remember heat rises.  If you put the heater in the loft you will probably have to stay there all winter to stay warm. ;D

About the generator.  I was just mentioning that if the location was not accessible with the tractor that it could be managed by hand.  Sometimes we box our self in trying to make things convient and in doing so we create other problems like access.

OlJarhead

that's my worry -- heat rises.  And in reality I need the heater mostly for when I'm not there to keep things on the lower floor from freezing.

This is my dilemma.

Amen on boxing yourself in! lol Been there and continue to do that!  Luckily in the case of the generator it won't be an issue though.

OlJarhead

Any idea how deep the propane feed line depth should be?  I'm planninig on placing the tank just over 10' from the Generator and trenching from the tank to the new room (Gas co will install), running the inlet into the wall (BI Pipe) and placing a T inside the wall to direct the feed to the generator so it comes out of the wall where I need it.  Then running down the back wall to a T where it will feed the 8000btu shed heater and continuing on the back wall to the wall next to the cabin were it will bend 90 degrees and com under the hot water heater where it will T off to feed that and continue on to the range (90 up through floor).

Just have to determine placement of the 18000BTU cabin aux heater before planning that run.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 16, 2013, 08:17:54 AM
that's my worry -- heat rises.  And in reality I need the heater mostly for when I'm not there to keep things on the lower floor from freezing.

This is my dilemma.

Amen on boxing yourself in! lol Been there and continue to do that!  Luckily in the case of the generator it won't be an issue though.

If worse comes to worse maybe under a window.  Not ideal I grant you but.....   Another alternative which would cause a little more work would be to install in an interior partition and use double wall vent pipe to the roof if it is a direct vent.  Ventless could be placed on interior partitions.  I have two installed like that.

PorkChopsMmm

I had the same problem -- limited wall space for installation of the a propane heater. In the end I went with a ventless unit and installed it on an interior wall. Works well, we have redundant carbon monoxide detectors and have never had an issue -- with air or moisture. We have a 1.5 story with an upstairs loft. I installed the heater on an interior wall with a cathedral ceiling above it. We lose a lot of the heat to the upstairs loft -- if I would have installed it on a section further away from the cathedral ceiling then I think our first floor would be warmer. We also use this heater to keep our pipes from freezing while we are away.

Your place is looking great -- congrats on the concrete work. Something I have not undertaken yet.

OlJarhead

Quote from: PorkChopsMmm on September 16, 2013, 09:04:02 AM
I had the same problem -- limited wall space for installation of the a propane heater. In the end I went with a ventless unit and installed it on an interior wall. Works well, we have redundant carbon monoxide detectors and have never had an issue -- with air or moisture. We have a 1.5 story with an upstairs loft. I installed the heater on an interior wall with a cathedral ceiling above it. We lose a lot of the heat to the upstairs loft -- if I would have installed it on a section further away from the cathedral ceiling then I think our first floor would be warmer. We also use this heater to keep our pipes from freezing while we are away.

Your place is looking great -- congrats on the concrete work. Something I have not undertaken yet.

Which one did you go with?  Any issues?

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 16, 2013, 08:01:40 AM

My biggest issue now is where to put the propane heater in the cabin!   d*  With a small cabin like this one there isn't a lot of useable wall space left and I'm starting to think the loft is going to have to work for me.

OK, I guess I missed something along the way or did not understand the concept of the heater. How is the heat going to get down into this new space from upstairs in the cabin?  Especially if the heater is in the loft? Is there an air movement system; fan and ducts?  I actually thought the heater was going to be located in the composting space you have built. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

http://www.amazon.com/Kozy-World-GWD104-Vent-Free-Dual-Fuel/dp/B001XW6AZI/ref=pd_sim_hg_8/191-5454624-6974961

We found these and bought the 20,000BTU heater for cabin auxiliary heat (mostly for when I am not there) but that leads me to this question:  why could I not use this 10,000BTU unit for my composter room?

It would seem that with a well insulated space this heater should easily keep it warm enough and at the price of $142 (includes valve and line) vs the vent through the wall 'Housewarmer' for $427 w/o line and valve I have to admit that the $300 savings is pulling me towards this route.

Someone help me out here? LOL

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on September 17, 2013, 08:44:53 AM
OK, I guess I missed something along the way or did not understand the concept of the heater. How is the heat going to get down into this new space from upstairs in the cabin?  Especially if the heater is in the loft? Is there an air movement system; fan and ducts?  I actually thought the heater was going to be located in the composting space you have built.

I plan on two heaters Don.  One for the composting toilet room and one for the cabin.

My thought was 8000BTU for the composter room and 18,000BTU for the cabin -- see above though as I work through this.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PorkChopsMmm

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 17, 2013, 08:28:51 AM
Which one did you go with?  Any issues?

No issues. We installed a 30k BTU heater. On the lowest temperature setting (1 out of 5) it will keep the whole house (24x32 cabin with a lofted 1.5 story) above 50 degrees, even on the coldest nights that central Michigan can offer.

Linked here.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Radiant-VF30KRADLP/dp/B000UPNZR0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379437206&sr=8-4&keywords=mr+heater+30+btu

I may not follow you... but if you are going to install these in an enclosed space than you will need a way for oxygen to enter the enclosure. The ventless model works for us because it is in our main living area and we are constantly opening a door, coming in and out, etc. That being said, we have left for 5 days + without any carbon monoxide issues. I could see a smaller and tighter space having problems.

BTW I live offgrid with a solar setup and our place is built very similarly (post and pier) and we live in a cold environment.

OlJarhead

Here is a dilemma:  Should I have much of an overhang off the roof on a roof that's only 56" off the ground?  With a 4" overhang (just enough for the snow etc to drip away from the walls) I can sheet with one sheet of OSB but much over that and I'll have to sheet with 1+

I had originally considered a one foot overhang but then realized I might not need it.  After all, this is a shed for the batteries and composting toilet drum and isn't something anyone will walk under.

OlJarhead

Moved in Saturday and have been 'living' at the cabin since :)  So far getting up at 5:30am and going to work hasn't been an issue but I need to get the composting toilet fixed!

So far I'm finding the cabin is well insulated enough to hold it's heat overnight without stoking the fire (33 outside this morning) though it isn't finished.  So I imagine once completed it ought to old it's heat very well :)  THat's been a concern.

THe shower etc works well too and now that I need it more often that's a big bonus :)

And o course, having internet, TV and a phone is a  big plus when you're living alone.

rick91351

[cool]  I really hope it all goes well for you guys.  How is the new job going?  Who did you get for internet service?  We went over last month and I really could not tell much difference in service when it throttle back the last three days however I understand with Exceed if you do it a lot they will move you to the next higher rate.  I guess I will have to find out the hard way. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

considerations

"Should I have much of an overhang off the roof on a roof that's only 56" off the ground?  With a 4" overhang (just enough for the snow etc to drip away from the walls) I can sheet with one sheet of OSB but much over that and I'll have to sheet with 1+"

I like overhangs...but then it rains a lot more here than where you are.  1' isn't enough on almost everything...4' is very cool cause you can shelter items if need be. 2 and 3 feet is where I usually end up...yup more OSB, but I've not regretted any overhang's except the 1' and less ones.  I add a rafter and run the beams or rafters out as far as needed so I can walk on the overhangs...and am getting ready to wall in one four footer for more weather protected storage.

I want to know the saga of your composting toilet...I'm still trotting to the outhouse for important events.  It is the last large improvement that I've not yet settled on (oh brother, no pun intended...no really!). Anyhow, Performance is important on this subject, so please post any progress/or not.

OlJarhead

Hugesnet -- so far it's working pretty well though not like cable internet lol

On the overhang, since it's so low to the ground (roughly 4 1/2 feet up) I've decided to keep it to about 4".

The weather will not wait for me and has been getting colder and colder!  But I hope to see more work done SOON.

Biggest saga so far is that I have yet to hook up the shower (so am using a bucket under the drain) though it ought to be done tonight AND the stupid (sorry) gas people have not come out yet.  They are starting to irritate me.

OlJarhead

Life at the cabin:  Well, with the boys here it's pretty easy ;)  They've been making dinner so it's ready when I get home and have kept the place pretty clean so I can relax after work :)  They are also working hard to get stuff done and promise to get the walls done on the composter shed today and start on the roof.  I hope so!  I need it done ASAP as winter is moving in fast!

I am finding it tough to do much wen I get home because so far I've been making it home around 6pm and it's starting to get dark.  However, we do go over things and sort out some issues so they can get back at it the next day.  Without them I'd be hurting big time!!  So a big THANKS to Josh Miller an Kurtis McVay for stepping up and helping out!!!  They will be back next week also and hope to get all the winterizing one or close to done by the weekend.

One thing I can tell is that the insulation and interior paneling must be done soon too.  t wasn't an issue before because I get up and stoke the fire at least once in the night but if I want to sleep all night and have a fire in the morning I'd have to get up before ZERO DARK THIRTY to start one since this stove doesn't burn longer then about 4 to 5 hours and when it's freezing outside the interior temp can drop to 60 in that period.  Clearly getting the insulation done will be a big bonus.

I've also got to get the toilet installed ASAP and get my propane installed ASAP both for fairly obvious reasons but with the propane it means I can then also install the new generator which iwill auto start any time the power drops to a certain level (one I set) which is key where there isn't much sun to generator power to charge the batteries.  Right now one day without sun can be a problem because it's dark using lights, even CFL's takes power) and I use a computer and TV in the evenings (and obviously in the AM like now) and the Fridge and Freezer are big users too.  Without the backup generator I couldn't leave for the weekend and would be running the as genny in the evenings for several hours daily if the sun doesn't show which lately it has not).

Otherwise, cabin life has been pretty god minus the whole missing my beautiful wife!  THat part downight sucks but we knew it would be the hard part.

I might add that the Marey water heater works but does seem very hard to adjust correctly and mostly only works when the hot water is on without the cold.  My shower last night was a balancing act between scalding and freezing water....I need to fix that!