Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Ya in our area it wouldn't be worth it as the cost is too much.  Heck the tower space rental would be killer.

As for the backhoe, I'd love to have one!  But I can rent a trackhoe for about $300 for 8 hours and that usually is enough to do whatever I need at the time.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 13, 2013, 08:46:22 AM
Ya in our area it wouldn't be worth it as the cost is too much.  Heck the tower space rental would be killer.

As for the backhoe, I'd love to have one!  But I can rent a trackhoe for about $300 for 8 hours and that usually is enough to do whatever I need at the time.

Eric you might check around in the future and pick you up a 3-Point hitch backhoe for your tractor.  Mind you it will not do major things (most of which you already have done) but it still would come in handy.  I had a backhoe and sold it and upgraded for a 4WD tractor.  I needed to plow worse than dig.  I still have jobs every so often that I could use it for but end up contracting it out.  [shocked].  Eventually I will find one to use with the tractor and eliminate the middleman so to speak.  But my plate is full now so it will have to wait.

OlJarhead

There is my latest pic :)

The second chair ready for varathane

Something about this style of chair that I love -- and the wood.  My wife and I love pretty much anything made from wood.

Soon the ottomans will be done and a little table, then we can enjoy coffee in the morning right here :)

OlJarhead

Wow!  What a weekend!

My wife and I celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary at our cabin in the woods by taking our sawmill to a 'Forest Owners Field Day' (we missed our fellow CountryPlans Forumites but maybe next time!) where we met lots of land owners in the area (and some from other areas who drive over for the event from the coast).  Here are a series of pics of the event which was held on a 1000 acre ranch I called the 'Dream Ranch' (owned by a retired forester and his wife).

The 'Log Deck' was mostly 'firewood' logs but we could mill up most of them for a customer it just takes longer to mill small logs and those with stress in them.

The first log was an old Tamarack (Larch) that was very bushy and VERY hard!  It was like milling hardwood!

The beauty of the setting was very striking.

Once fully set up we set to making rough cut 2x's

We milled all of this stock 'on the evens' which means the 2x6's from this log were really 1 7/8" x 6".  We can mill them at 2" even but often do it this way as it's faster for the customer (on the evens means on the even whole numbers on the scale (2,4,6 etc)

Another shot of the setup -- tractor was the land owners who was hoping to get some 2x stock for making fences to keep his cows off some water ways.

This log was felled during the 'falling' course of the field day and they thought it would be a great log but it was pretty stressed so we bucked it off at 8 feet and milled it shorter.  Bent logs have stress in them that will make the lumber warp and twist.

Josh (step son) relaxing in the shade while waiting to mill.  We spent a lot of the day relaxing as there were classes going on near us.

Some of the bigger logs require a lot of messing around to get set up.  This 98bf log took us just under and hour to mill.  Then we milled 184bf in an hour :)  It works out in the end.

Whittling down the bigger logs is sometimes required.

In the end we milled just 3 logs during the field day demonstrating the mill but then the land owner hired us for a couple hours to mill a few more up for him so he could get more 2x stock for his pens.  He's planning on having us back to mill the rest of the log deck an some more logs he's thinking of dragging down.  Of course our rates are so low right now you can barely get your lawn mowed for what we charge! lol so of course he's thinking of having us back! (note: our ridiculously cheap rates end after the summer!)

OlJarhead

All that from a chainsaw mill we started with and an idea to make lumber for our cabin ourselves!

We arrived at the cabin late Thursday night and as always we were happy to have the cabin so far along!  Just open the porch, flick on the inverter and the porch light comes on with it :)  I leave the porch light on but turn off the inverter just for these late arrivals so as soon as the power goes on the light does too :)  Then we moved in and relaxed :)

Friday morning we burned some slash before having to put it out and head over to set up the mill

Having a tractor makes putting out slash piles a synch :)

On Sunday we began doing a little tractor work which turned into a full fledged day long effort to get rid of some rocks and grade some of the property.  We were on a major cleaning kick (was needed)

We dug up rock after rock and used the tractor to move the big ones into place along 'Darci's Wall' (my wifes rock wall) and my son and wife moved the small ones by hand.  We spent about 4 hours on this section and couldn't believe the difference!

Once graded and with the rocks either removed or burried we ran an ATV over it with a chainlink fence section with some logs on top of it to rake it out.  It was VERY smooth!  I think that's because my step son liked riding the ATV too much! lol

Then my wife decided to plan cereal rye on it because the rye is supposed to be weed control and will help 'fix' the soil as well as with water retention.  Not to mention you can harvest the rye seed and make flour out of it and the animals like the straw.

Once we have this covered with grass it will make a very nice place to relax!  Of course, we plan to have ALL of the land around the cabin done like this.

Just behind the stacks of lumber we milled in the spring.  It's not as smooth as the section in front of the lumber but still very nice.

Once a replacement shed is finished then we'll get rid of this one (which was poorly constructed by the previous owner and is rat infested) and clean all that up also.

Darci's wall

Our little orchard is overgrown!

We never finished burning the slash pile but you can see we cleaned up a lot of the area it was in also.  Now we plan to move this pile over to a low section that we want to fill in a bit and then we'll let it compost.

Cleanup has been a big thing for me this year and I was glad to get so much done!

Can't say enough about how much we love the place :)  Now I need to get cracking on some exterior finish work and some small roofing jobs (porch, wood shed, composter etc) as well as a new tool shed so I can get rid of the crappy one the previous owner built.

Perhaps I'll make a run out to mill up some Fir beams for the foundation of the new shed.

rick91351

Did you get much interest in your custom saw milling? 

Wow your place sure shined up nice!  Looks like you and the tractor are making friends.   ;)

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

I think we picked up about a half dozen jobs:)  We were a VERY popular part of the event though we were a side show and not one of the 'classes'.

OlJarhead

Oh and yes, the tractor and I are very CLOSE! :D :D :D  I love that big monster!  Can't say enough how awesome it is :)

Also can't wait to get my post hole digger / auger and back blade / plow blade.  Hoping to pick up a landscape rake too :)

OlJarhead

It's a 'done deal'! :D  I'm going back the weekend of the 4th.

My plan from here on out is to drop at least one tree (Fir) each trip and buck it into saw logs and drag it over to the log deck area for the sawmill.  Then to carry on with the various other projects I have going.

For the 4th I'm planning to drop a nice big Doug Fir, then to work on the exterior of the cabin to try to get the window trim finished, batten boards put up and to work on the porch and a new set of stairs.

With luck I can get all of those things done :)

OlJarhead

very excited!  I think I just scored a jointer planer!

A friend has been going through his father stuff (he passed away last year) and asked if I was interested in buying some wood working tools -- he doesn't do any wood working.  Seems he had an old craftsman jointer planer that is working and in good shape so I'll buy that from him (saves him from putting it on CL too) and possibly a scroll saw and a few other odds and sods.

I'm excited about the planer because I make my own lumber and it will be nice to be able to square it up!  I can edge it on the sawmill to take out any warping etc but getting a perfect 90 degree edge isn't going to happen on a sawmill.  Normally I have to use the table saw to do that and it isn't the best way either.  This gives me a way to square things up.

He also has a belt sander (bench mount type) but I'm not certain how much I'd use it.

OlJarhead

Got back to working on my chairs :)  2 coats of varathane on the Ottomans and 3 on the closer chair.  Once all of them have 4 coats I'll start working on making it thicker with clear.

I intend to make a few sets of these to have at the cabin on the deck which I hope to make one of these dart days!

Just got the details on my dart sales today :D  Looks like I should be getting a check for enough to buy a back blade and auger but not quite enough to get the rake I want also -- though I might go ahead and pay for it too in order to get a good deal.  Once I have the auger I'll put it to work right away digging holes for sono tubes to start the foundation for the deck.  I've got concrete for them already so it should be a matter of digging the holes with the tractor, dropping in the tubes, leveling off and then filling with concrete and placing simpson posts in.  Then I can frame up the deck in front of the porch and build a new set of stairs.

Meanwhile I'll also be able to rake the property and start to get all the debris that's laying around pulled/raked/pushed into burn piles for the winter and of course, with the back blade I'll be able to plow the snow better in the winter :)

I have to admit I'm really 'jonesing' for a cabin trip!  I need to get back to work on the exterior so that's the plan for my birthday (12th).  I'll go up as early as I can on Friday with hopes of at least getting something done in the evening, then will spend Saturday and Sunday ripping down rough cut pine and installing it as batten boards as well as using the dado to cut it for the window trim.  I'm really hopeful to get most if not all of it done since I have plenty of stock now.

If I can get that done on this next trip then I think I should be set to get the auger up there later in July so I can start on the deck though I also need to dig out the foundation I want to start as well as get the concrete and rebar for that and all the cinder blocks...with luck I can have that deck built by October.....who knows though!

Finally, with the heat coming on now I NEED to get to the cabin and mow so I'll try to get some mowing in next trip too.  If it gets hot and dry I may even do some grading to build some fire breaks (roads) along the fence-line and perhaps the driveway itself.  I know it isn't much but it's better then nothing right?

Carla_M

No images, or at least no images photobucket will let us see. :(     bandwidth issue. I have no idea if that shows up foir the thread author or only the rest of the world.
(open another PB account using another email?  Worked for me)
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

Yonderosa

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

First time this has happened to me.

Guess I pushed the bandwidth too hard...have to delete some stuff i guess! lol

MountainDon

I too have more than one PB account. Done with gmail email accounts and no bandwidth issues on them.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

So I probably haven't mentioned my quest to lose 75lbs or more to the forum but thought I would share this striking picture with you today :)

On the left was take in October of last year and I weighed 282lbs (getting ready for an interview) while on the right I was at a nephews wedding (my step daughter is in the pic with me) and weighed in at 230.8lbs

It's taken me about 8 months (started in earnest in December) to lose the weight and has been a combination of changing my diet as well as LOTS of cardio (I road my mountain bike 14.3miles today for example).

Here's one of my honey and I:)

I hope to lose another 25 pounds in the next 2 months (or less) and have averaged 7.5lbs per month over the long haul.

kenhill

Good job.  I'm sure it was a challenge and you seem to have met it head on!

OlJarhead

Thanks Ken :)  Still is a challenge but I refuse to stop! :D

UK4X4

Thats some great work on the yard- and your belly !

it will surely add some years to your life, lessen the strain on your heart, knee's,hips and ankles

Awsome job !

OlJarhead

Thanks UK :)

I'm getting ready for my next trip (mentally anyway) and plan to work on the exterior the whole 3 day weekend :)  I'm hoping to finally get the batten boards done and the windows trimmed out....can't wait!

OlJarhead

We arrived a little after noon on Friday and temps were in the 70's so it was a great time to start work as soon as we looked around and settled in.

I fell a big doug fir that was blocking the panels in the morning and had split into two main branches (trunks) rather then one.  I was able to get 3 decent saw logs out of it which we took to the mill landing and the rest we set aside for firewood.  I also fell a pine that was blocking the panels in the am also and bucked it into firewood as it wasn't big enough for the mill.

That done we got the tractor set up for mowing and my buddy took off to start brush hogging the property.  Over the weekend he mowed close to 10 acres (maybe more) and taught me how to mow the steepest sections (in reverse).  I was amazed at how easily the tractor would go up the hillside backwards though admittedly I needed a seatbelt to keep from sliding forward!  It was STEEP!

Saw a badger run for cover during one of my mowing trips.  He was a monster too!  BIG!  Nice silver and black coat too.

Our biggest apple seems to be quite happy :)  We pushed the fencing up last month and it appears we will need to do that AGAIN!

If you look very hard you will see the Cereal Rye!  It didn't take nearly as well as I'd hoped but I know why and next year we will fix that ;)  It's all about WHEN you plant it.  This years crop will be left to reseed itself after harvesting a handful of see just to see how hard it will be to do by hand.

This is also rye that my wife and I planted after working on the land to clean it up.  In the spring it ought to overtake all other grasses (and weeds etc) and be good for the soil (as well as birds etc).

The rye in front of the panels has done well also.  Now we have to see how it does in drought conditions as it's not likely to get much water until the fall now.

What amazes me here is the flowers and growth in the foreground.  This is inside the orchard and was bear ground in April.

My main focus this trip was to get the battens up and trim out the windows.  I was unable to complete the lower level but should be able to do so next trip.

The hard part is ripping the stock down to 3" for the battens or 3.5" for the trim.  All my stock is self made (milled on our portable mill) and of different sizes (rough) so you have to then 'finish' it to the dimension you want.

Once you've ripped the window trim down to size then you have to change to the dado blade on the table saw to dado out the overlap -- the trim overlaps the T1-11 Rough Sawn siding about 1/2".

After fitting I then coat the overlapping section of the trim with silicone sealer for window trim and nail in place.  This way all the windows are trimmed out and sealed well.

OlJarhead

Next trip (in three weeks) will be to finish the lower section battens and window trim and maybe get some staining done as well as fall another big fir.  I figure I've got enough fir down to give me about 15-18 2x6's for the deck and the next will give me about 24 (or more) so I'd have enough to get the deck framed in (I have quite a bit of stock now also) and the floor down.

My hope is that I can have everything ready for the deck and stairs etc when my son returns in the fall.  He's been working in construction this spring and summer and has learned a bunch so I plan to put that knowledge to work! :D  He told me:  "Dad, I got the job because of all you taught me and now I'm learning a lot more!"

It's good to be a dad :D  [cool]

OlJarhead

Whoohoo!  Just bought 1000' of direct bury 18/2 wire for my cistern float valve!  I should be able to install it this summer and set it up to keep the cistern full at all times now!  That would mean the orchard can be watered better in the hot dry season and the cistern will always be ready to provide us water at the cabin :D

OlJarhead

Looks like I'll be trying to get the float valve installed next trip too :)  Getting pretty stoked!