building codes

Started by the_great_dane, April 28, 2005, 07:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_great_dane

hi everyone..just found this forum..great source of info. we are planning to build a cabin. considering doing it without a permit.can "they" make you tear it down? the reason for this, is we want to use recycled /old windows, doors, etc. thanks..i am sure you'll be hearing from us as we will be starting soon.

Daddymem

Can you make an anonymous visit to the building inspector and pick up a building permit application?  I know our Town has set fines for building without a permit that are in the permit application so you could see if it was worth getting caught.

jraabe

You can get a lot of heads up information by asking your neighbors what the "street rules" are.

If you do build without a permit you should try to understand the intent of the law, document with photos what you do to meet it, and overbuild slightly if you are using old materials.

Also, do all the safety stuff anyway such as wood stove and chimney clearances, smoke detectors, egress windows and safety glazing. You or people you love could get hurt otherwise.

This was the original reason for codes — safety rules for saving lives.

Even though many code and zoning rules have become more interested in protecting property values, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

glenn-k

One problem you may come up against is that the power company may require a permit for power.  Many people get power to a pump or shop etc before starting.  I went solar and wind.

You used to have personal constitutional rights that the codes and planning are in violation of.  This page

http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1107141843

has a sign specifying where those rights come from and has a day use fee that is enforceable against the individuals who try to violate those rights, however if you choose this method of insisting on your rights you may be in for a battle.  Check out the site on the bottom corner of the sign for more information.  The constitution is not quite totally trashed yet and some rural judges may side with it.  Codes are there to protect the public from unscrupulous contractors also.  It seems that owner builders should always be allowed their rights but sometimes they are a bit hard to obtain.  Ken Kern wrote a book possibly only available used or as a copied reprint researching actual cases called "The Owner Builder and The Code."  Mike Oehler's book, "The  $50 and Up Underground House" mentions the power company problem and that you need to be best friends with your neighbor- a number one cause of complaints, and -out of sight-out of mind.  Our county follows the Navy policy quite a bit ---don't ask, don't tell. ;D

I have been dealing with a good septic inspector lately whose insistence that my client not use marginal soil for a drain field caused us to look in a location about 100 feet away on a steep hillside that is obviously many times better for drainage than the other soils in the immediate vicinity.  A bit frustrating sometimes but many actually take their job to heart and genuinely want to help. ;D

ebass

A number of years ago, the father of a friend of mine, built a 2 car garage, without a permit, and not to code........When the town discovered it, they made him tear it down and if I recall correctly, he had a hard time getting a permit to rebuild.......
If you want to build without a permit, know that your local government, too could make it difficult......
In the present economy, some states, cities and towns are hurting for revenue and if discovered, your local government may look at your attempt to build as an opportunity to extract some revenue.........
........Is it possible that with a permit, using your recycled materials may be allowable?.......Have you tried to find out?........

the_great_dane

thanks...we already have electric; and there is a septic tank...of course now they want us to pay for a RE-inspection..the property is 10 miles off the highway..about 2 miles down the road.(.the dirt road...)it's hard to believe the neghbors have gotten permits for their placesLOL i guess its all new to me and a bit frustrating. seem to get over one hurdle, only to encounter many more ???

the_great_dane

??? we have been scavenging and saving wood for 2years.we have enough supplies..even the kitchen sink LOl..we are ready to start...we are planning to Build to Code"..but its almost impossible
to get them to allow us to use the supplies we have on hand..How did that go...withholding revenue???I plan on retiring there..I'm sure I will spend plenty beyween now and then...thanks for letting me vent...LOL

ebass

Y'all be cool.......everyone needs to vent from time to time........Were you told how using recycled/scavenged materials is considered to be "witholding revenue"?............I'd be interested in hearing the rationale for that one.......

jraabe

A couple of issues are likely to come up about using recycled materials:
• Windows and doors (exterior) may not meet energy requirements. In my jurisdiction one door can be exempted but all windows need to be at least double glazed.
• Structural lumber needs to be stamped by a grader. Older beams, site cut timbers, etc. don't have this. Again, in my jurisdiction, the inspector allows what I think is reasonable. You can use solid recycled timbers but they need to have the stress grade of current low-end timber. In other words rate them conservatively and he will let them fly (some departments force you to hire a grader to come to the site!)