What to buy

Started by peternap, October 21, 2008, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 24, 2008, 03:02:34 PM
Dan you would probably be  w* in WV .  But if you did you would probably end up staying.  I figure it will be a while until the mountain state falls into the Atlantic.

As for me buying I am about bought out. It seams that everything I need rather than want hasn't dropped in price.  Going to the auction again on Saturday.  Maybe something there will hit my fancy and will actually be what I need. They always have a few toys and I am needing a finish nailer.  Had a farmers sink (granite) the last time but had to leave early from that one.  My luck it probably only brought 50-100 dollars.   

I got your PM about the auction John. I think I'll pass again. I talked Jane into going to the Celtic festival on Sunday so I could hunt in the rain. I still have a lot of room in the freezer ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter thought you might be going to the Gun show at Roanoke.

Redoverfarm

Pretty good day @ the auction.  PU a few things for the cabin and the house.  Just like most auctions what I really wanted was out bid as the price went higher than I wanted to pay.  If that wasn't the case then the high bidder took the selection he wanted and left me with what I couldn't use. Picked up a 6 panel knotty pine door, Kitchen spray faucet($35) the house, Price Fister shower assembly($35).  Going back today for another door and PF kitchen faucet for the cabin.  I thought $130 was too high but when I checked they are well over $250 . 

It's a shame that someone wasn't closer that was building a pier foundation as they had a full pallet of Simpson beam support brackets for $50. Large sized.  Will probably have another today.  Wish I was in the market for 2X10 # 1 Yellow pine as they had a T&T load of 12-14' that went for a song in comparison to Lumber yard prices.

benevolance

I hate yellow pine...I will never use it again...I always pay extra at the lumberyard for white pine... Better straighter boards and you do not have to worry about it splitting and cracking...Yellow pine is attractive... but harder to work with...I always will use something else in its stead from now on... I had to learn the hard way I guess

southernsis

Glenn, north of Beatty. The property backs up to Fremont National Forest. We want to put a travel trailer on it to live in while we build something. We are just planning on spending the summers there.  I was born and raised in Oregon. Want to get back, miss the good grocery stores. Nothing much in Arkansas except WalMarts.  [frus]
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

benevolance

Yeah it would stink having to go to Wal mart all the time for everything.... I have not been out oregon way much for several years...But I would find it shocking to go anywhere and not see a bunch of wal marts.... they are like a plague that has spread across the country infecting every aspect of our lives.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: southernsis on October 26, 2008, 01:45:25 PM
Glenn, north of Beatty. The property backs up to Fremont National Forest. We want to put a travel trailer on it to live in while we build something. We are just planning on spending the summers there.  I was born and raised in Oregon. Want to get back, miss the good grocery stores. Nothing much in Arkansas except WalMarts.  [frus]

That's way out there, Sis.  I never made it to that corner of the state much.  I was through K-Falls trucking a lot -but not much more -- and that is cold in the winter.  Still an interesting area.  Went to the Lava Tubes and Concentration Camp a few years back.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lonelytree

Buy lakefront land.......or at least waterfront land.

benevolance

pretty sound advice there waterfront land never seems to go out of style

southernsis

We have lakefront land here in Arkansas, that is why we are not in a hurry to sell it and move full time. Just want to beat the humid heat in the summer by going to Oregon. The property is about an hours drive east of Klamath Falls. WalMarts are the scurge of American. What I wouldn't give for a Safeway, Albertson's, King Super, or Fred Meyers. Haven't gotten any decent fruit in so long, I probably wouldn't know what it was like.  :( Keep giving people garbage and then they don't expect anything else.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

benevolance

Luckily we live close to a farmers market...we go there almost every week-end