Chesaw Cabin has been started! Pictures!!

Started by Willy, March 27, 2008, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Just looked at the Web Cam View and I am sure glad I got the patio area done yesterday and came back home. It is snowing like crazy up there now and ice is on the camera lense. Mark

Willy

Another 1 1/2 days and most of the siding is up. Boy was the weather lousey the second day!! It snowed then turned to wet snow and haft rain/snow the rest of the day. It is a drag doing sofets under the eaves with water running down your neck. Putting the siding up under the eaves is no better but we still got it done. Could not go up on the roof due to it being slipery so it is saved when I go back to do trim. Sure got dark inside real quick when the siding was installed. I will need to bring lights with me now to work inside. Mark

Got some rain on the lense!

This end was a pain working off a extention ladder to hang & nail it off.

mvk

Hey Mark your a work horse :) Looks good and pretty country to.

Working under a eve in the weather really stinks. I used to carry some drip edge on the truck if I thought I would be under a eve in the rain. Flip it over and work it under the first row of shingles and run it past the rake edge on a angle. it would help a lot. Looks like you have felt that might be harder don't want the wind to get a edge.

Mike

PS Been wanting to ask you mentioned in one of your posts 3 dogs= 500LBS? you crossing them with those funny looking Cows :)? Hope ones not a chihuahua?  You feed them bears, maybe inspectors?

Willy

Quote from: mvk on April 24, 2008, 03:48:51 AM
Hey Mark your a work horse :) Looks good and pretty country to.

Working under a eve in the weather really stinks. I used to carry some drip edge on the truck if I thought I would be under a eve in the rain. Flip it over and work it under the first row of shingles and run it past the rake edge on a angle. it would help a lot. Looks like you have felt that might be harder don't want the wind to get a edge.

Mike

PS Been wanting to ask you mentioned in one of your posts 3 dogs= 500LBS? you crossing them with those funny looking Cows :)? Hope ones not a chihuahua?  You feed them bears, maybe inspectors?
They are Newfoundland 2 at 150 lbs and one allmost 200 that one is heavier than the standard!

Funny you mention the drip edge cause a guy told me yesterday he carries a short rain gutter with him to do the same thing. It allows the water to run off to the side instead of down your neck. He just moves it as he works. Wish I had known this sooner but not finished yet with 2 sofets, still could get some use out of one. Mark

Jens

try running a 1/4 inch hose.  that might take care of your problems.  3/8 is good for a lead hose, to have multiples coming off of...if your compressor can handle the delivery.  1/4 is better for single tasks.  Good job, and lucky you with the interior farming out.  Of course, the finish is the fun part (after drywall)!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Willy

Quote from: hobbiest on April 25, 2008, 11:44:10 PM
try running a 1/4 inch hose.  that might take care of your problems.  3/8 is good for a lead hose, to have multiples coming off of...if your compressor can handle the delivery.  1/4 is better for single tasks.  Good job, and lucky you with the interior farming out.  Of course, the finish is the fun part (after drywall)!
I do have 2 tanks on my set up. I keep them both at 125 PSI and regulate the output down to what the nail gun does best at. This way with 12 gals of air the compressor turns on way before I get low on pressure. I am leaving the insides for the next owner to do. This way they can have it the way they want it fancy or plain jane. This cabin is being sold when I get the outside done. I will rock the bath room and closet wall so the inside doors will give some privetcy. The stairs to the loft will be complete except staining. It will be wired complete for a generator/solar but not hooked to the grid because power is a few miles away at this point. Mark

Willy

It took a day and a haft but it is ready for painting now. I will stain the deck, stairs and railings after the paint is on. The roof will be blue metal and have 6" wide flashings over the end edges. Drip edges will be on the eve edge. Over 600 ft of cedar trim to do the cabin including the 1x8 on the eves. Once I cut in the doors and windows I will put up there trim pre painted. Mark

Back view with deck frame.

End view.

Neibors Small Cabin he is building next door.

Sassy

Looking good, Willy!  You've accomplished a lot in record time! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

Looks great Mark. You know you are making us slower builders look bad.  d*

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on May 01, 2008, 12:17:12 PM
Looks great Mark. You know you are making us slower builders look bad.  d*
Thanks I just have a deadline to meet building it. Got the base paint on today!! Mark

Willy

Got the Porch, Deck & Railings done I used a Rhino Decking material lifetime no maintanence (Barn Grey color) and 2x6 fir on the railings attached to treated 6x6s & 4x8s posts. I primed and painted all wood twice to protect it. Nice not having to worry about staining or dirt messing up the finish on the deck boards. I still have to build my stairs but this is a nice chunk done this week end. Day #20 on the cabin and the roof goes on next week. Mark

There is a small area to put flowers on the front of deck in front of the railing

I left a edge for flower pots on the end of the back deck also

Robbo

Well,

you did ask at several points for comments.  And i will qualify mine by saying that my expectations of a cabin derive from a completelty different paradigm to yours.

However.  Where are the windows?    And I did not notice ANY noggins on the framing - or for that matter diagonal bracing against wind.  Or plumbing for sewerage and the like, but like I said.  Maybe I have missed something.

Other than that, it looks good and very well made.

Robbo

Willy

Quote from: Robbo on May 05, 2008, 04:52:10 AM
Well,

you did ask at several points for comments.  And i will qualify mine by saying that my expectations of a cabin derive from a completelty different paradigm to yours.

However.  Where are the windows?    And I did not notice ANY noggins on the framing - or for that matter diagonal bracing against wind.  Or plumbing for sewerage and the like, but like I said.  Maybe I have missed something.

Other than that, it looks good and very well made.

Robbo

Well, other than the fact it is not finished yet. I am not putting plumbing into it nor sewage disposal because it is a cabin and does not have a well, or septic system. It will be wired for a generator but I have not put the wiring in yet because I don't want it to get wet. I want to finish the roof metal first to totaly dry it in.

It will have 5 windows a sliding glass door and a entry door in the hole that were framed into the building. I have not cut out the plywood for them till the windows get here. Not sure what a "Noggin is but the OSB sheating is approved for the diagonal bracing. I have steel huricane tie downs on every attachment point of ALL the roof rafters, the beams are bolted to the pier posts and the siding and floor joists are nailed to the beams, floor rim joists, loft rim joist and all top plates as a unit. Every 4 ft there is a block put between the rafters to stop twisting under load

Here is a link to the other pictures and you can see how it is built in them.
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/pontiacridge

You can see the holes for the windows in this picture.

eric

Hi there,

Your cabin is looking great. It's inspiring. Thanks for sharing it here.

I hope you don't mind a few questions. I'll try to explain myself a bit first. I'm from the Coeur d'Alene area and I've been looking all over eastern WA and north Idaho for land to build on and I have noticed the relatively cheap land prices in Okanogan county. Somewhere, as soon as I can find the right land, I'd like to build a variation on John's Builder's Cottage and start out with water catchment, a sawdust toilet, and a simple branched drain for greywater. This would be a year round residence. Trouble is those alternative systems are not well liked by any of the county offices I've called (2 in N. Idaho and 1 in E. WA). Simple living is apparently illegal these days.

I noticed your comment about having to pay a bit more in permits for changes that you were making along the way and I was wondering if you would comment on your experience getting a permit in Okanogan county. Sounds pretty relaxed compared with what I've been encountering. I'm particularly curious about how they responded to you not having conventional septic and plumbing. 

I don't want to hijack this thread by any means, but if anyone else has any comments on this sort of thing, I'd love to hear them.

I must admit I'm pretty frustrated myself. Feels as though a person isn't really free in this country anymore. Land of the bureaucrat and home of the debtors.

-Eric

supercalifragilisticsammydavisjunior

eric

I didn't realize that was my first post. I've been reading this forum for so many years. It's a great forum. Thanks all.

And Hi, I'm Eric.

Redoverfarm

w* Eric

All you have to do is ask and someone has " been there done that" or will be willing to lend a hand or should I say and ear and idea.  Wouldn't wory too much about highjacking as the post eventually get back to the subject at hand and m
ost of the times they are relavent anyways.  Again  w*

John

glenn kangiser

Glad you finally spoke up, Eric.  Welcome to the forum. :)

You just realized we aren't free here.  Freedom here is an illusion of the past that most want to believe in and they will not look at what  the criminals holding office have done to the freedom sought after and provided for us by our founding fathers.

That's how you hijack a thread Eric.  See that didn't hurt did it? ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fishing_guy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 06, 2008, 01:55:33 AM

That's how you hijack a thread Eric.  See that didn't hurt did it? ;D

Beginner's luck??? ;)  Welcome Eric.  Not much better as far as permits here in Minnesota.  Up on our up-north land (by Lake Vermillion-Boundry Waters), there is a county wide permitting system.  Most septic is done by mound system.  Gets pricey fast.  They do allow holding tanks, but then you have to meter the water run to the house, and pump accordingly.  Don't know what they would say for grey water systems.

We mey go the composting route, as the property is more a get-away than a year-round proposition.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Willy

Quote from: eric on May 05, 2008, 07:11:31 PM

I noticed your comment about having to pay a bit more in permits for changes that you were making along the way and I was wondering if you would comment on your experience getting a permit in Okanogan county. Sounds pretty relaxed compared with what I've been encountering. I'm particularly curious about how they responded to you not having conventional septic and plumbing. 

I don't want to hijack this thread by any means, but if anyone else has any comments on this sort of thing, I'd love to hear them.

I must admit I'm pretty frustrated myself. Feels as though a person isn't really free in this country anymore. Land of the bureaucrat and home of the debtors.

-Eric

Well it is what they call a 60 Day Resort Cabin Permit and you can do all kinds of different stuff than a regular home. You still have to build to code but can leave things out also and still get signed off. I have no real problems ever dealing with Okanogan County and have built many buildings so far. Most just using a Agruculter Building Permit and $20.00 with out any inspection at all or plans. You just need to tell them where it is going (site plan) and a foot print design. Once you want to build a home to live in it all changes!! Mark

Willy

Got the steps done for the porch and back deck today. I just got off the phone with the inspector and I can get away with just a gaurd for the hand rail next to the steps. So I don't have to build all that 4" gap stuff and code hand rails! It is the 3 step rule and not over 30 inches up for the steps. Wonders what a little dirt will do to save big bucks on Code Hand Rails! I have over $1,000.00 into the deck and porch Rhino Planks all ready but they sure look nice and easy to clean off. Mark

Front Porch Steps picture taken from the roof above;

Back Deck Steps;

View from roof of Back Deck;

Rear Deck

Front Porch

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

eric

Thanks for the replies, all.

Those porches are looking really good, nice job Mark.

Redoverfarm

Looking good mark and taking shape.  Now if someone would invent the substructural timbers to set the Rhino on then it would be great.  You have got this great product and have to atach them to PT lumber.  I am going to try something different for my garage appartment.  I used 6" galvanized guardrail post that are cantelevered and I will either attach a composite plate or attach the flooring from the underneath side on the flange of the I beams

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 07, 2008, 02:41:23 PM
Now if someone would invent the substructural timbers to set the Rhino on then it would be great. 

Already done.

Steel   or   Aluminum  ;D ;D ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mvk

Mark
I like your railing detail for your back deck, great job. nice and clean. I've never worked with that Rhino stuff but I did a ton of decks, treated, ceder, redwood. I would of mitered it and it would have opened up eventually. I have done splines, blind splines even tried to do a dovetail spline once.

Peg you have any tricks? Anybody else?

Mike

Oh yeah the rest of the place looks great.