secondhand rebar

Started by Alasdair, March 11, 2009, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasdair

Any reason not to use second hand older rebar? A search of threads showed that mud would stop concrete gripping it -how much rust would make a difference? Is it enough to worry about in a post and pier foundation?

This seemed like a good price to me ...

http://capebreton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-REBAR-W0QQAdIdZ112577770

It's $3.99 for 4ft in our local home depot. Then it seemed like too good a deal and I started to wonder...

any thoughts?

Al

MikeT

Glenn should really be the one to chime in here, but I will give it my $.02.  I think it would be fine IF that is what your foundation requires.  The is a bit beefier than I used on my foundation-- think I mostly used 4 bar whereas this is 5 bar (measured in 1/8 th of an inch).  Since it is already bent, it might work for your vertical bars, but only if the footing is the appropriate length.

I didn't think the price of rebar was too bad that I wanted to scour around for second hand stuff.  But if the price is right and it fits your project, then go for it.

mt

rwanders

Rusty rebar is never a good idea----as steel rusts, it expands and can break the cement/steel bond if allowed to continue. Having said that, it obviously "depends" on how much rust is involved---a light coating which can, and should, be wire brushed or sandblasted off will probably not compromise basic integrity of a footing or pier.  Just as an aside----beach  sand should Never be used in a concrete mix----I know of instances where that was done on Oregon coast for bridge construction with very poor results----it contains sea salt and will rapidly cause corrosion and failure of rebar and concrete. Epoxy coated rebar is usually called for in bridge deck construction, especially in areas where road salt is used or severe corrosive conditions are anticipated.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

I second everything rw said.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

From the picture, it looks like some of it is painted or coated green. If it is all like that I would think you are in good shape.
It is hard to tell whether it is all like that though. I second RW as well.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Redoverfarm

You might check with Redimix plants that deal in Re-bar.  Sometimes they have salvaged for a fraction of the cost.  When I did my basement I bought everything from #4 to # 8 & 9 for $4 a stick on average 16' long.  Still have a lot left.  At that price I couldn't pass it up. Regular #5 is about $8 a stick.  If there is only 4-5' per stick there will be alot of splicing unless it would fit in the footer.  It can be straightened out some.

Alasdair

Thanks all. I just bought them for $1 each (1/5 of the retail price :)) there's a lot more than I need but I'm sure they'll come in handy. I'm pretty sure i can find enough out of 75 that will scrub up good enough for the job. I had thought I would grind/chop the the bent ends down a little to fit inside the bigfoot footers we plan to use. and there's plenty of bar there if we do have to splice some.
Thanks for the pointers

Rover

Industrial, commercial and institutional construction projects always have unused rebar around when they are building the foundations.  Sometimes its the wrong order, sometimes the owner makes a change, sometimes we revise with footing elevations, sometimes it ends up in the mud and its less trouble for the contractor to order more than to clean it.  We collect it up and throw into a metal recycling bin and a scraper gives us cash for it.  Then we get shirts for the team or buy a bbq for the site.  No one is allowed to just pocket the cash.

For my little cabin and its piers I asked the rebar guys to cut up some scrap 15M bars.  I just cleaned off the mud and they were fine.  I've used bigger scrap rebar to mark my property perimeter.  Very handy stuff.

glenn kangiser

I think you guys got it covered - working out of town for a few months. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.