Snow

Started by peternap, January 30, 2010, 08:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Better you than me Peter.   ;)

peternap

Just finished another Zeus picture

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

My front yard today.

Redoverfarm

Another 4-5" last night.

StinkerBell

Makes me want to snuggle up to a warm fire with some hot chocolate.  Lovely pictures.

peternap

Looks cold John. ;D
I think we're going to get round 3 over the weekend. I need to start thinking about plowing.

Redoverfarm

Peter the local predictions show 6-12" through the highlands and Shenandoah Valley.  I am sure it will venture your way.  Another round of plowing to the cabin today.  My son did it though w/ 4-wheeler while I worked some at the cabin.  Hope you don't get dumped on again like the last time. 

Redoverfarm

Just the beginning of another storm this morning.  Started just before day break and at 10AM we have accumulated just over 3" of the anticipated 12-16" revised forecast.  No school today but my heart broken children are making the best of it.

For anyone trying to decide some means of snow removal the Suzuki 4-wheeler does an excellent job up to about 10" of snow.  A little premature on my son's part but he will hit it again later and Dad will come back with the tractor and lay it all back.

peternap

poppy

We got the western edge of the great storm this week end so only got about 4" at the condo and only 2" out on the farm.

This snow really stuck to the trees and stayed there. I thought my good friend (the neighbor's dog) was in the shot and he was, but the gate almost blocked him out.

This is just above the cabin site.

Only had time to clear snow off of the garage.

After taking this shot of the pond, the battery exhaust warning came on, and I forgot to bring extra batteries.  d*

Redoverfarm

No pictures just time spent.  I plowed the Forerst Service Road the 1-1/2 miles with the tractor this afternoon.  Took 4 hours.  I wish I would have taken the tractor up on Wednesday when my son plowed so I could have laid back the berms.  With the 12+" all I managed to get was about 1-1/2 width of my truck.  I guess if we get another snow on Tuesday I will only end up with a single lane.  But that will work.  Anymore snow and there will be no place to push it to.  This makes the third time the road has been plowed in the last week.   I am so tired of this.

Beavers

How about some Nebraska snow pic's...

In the summer I'm a surveyor, in the winter I have to plow snow.  I've been living in my snowplow since the beginning of December, two big blizzards, and then a bunch of smaller snow's...it's never going to end.  d*

My plow next to a drift that's close to 20' tall at the top.

Stuck plow getting pulled out.

Another stuck plow getting pulled out.

Hell of a ride  :o

Cleaning up after the first blizzard.

And a video of a $300,000 snow blower.
It's got three diesel engines on it...
One for the first stage of the blower, one for the second stage, and a third to drive the thing down the road.  :)

The thing throws the snow like crazy, if you hit a sign with the discharge it will snap it off like a toothpick, same thing for trees, also been a time or two where houses have been hit...not pretty...busts out windows and rips siding and shingles off!  :o d*

Redoverfarm

Nothing to the degree that Beavers has NE but for around here it is a real PIA.  I have plowed the road to the cabin three times in the last week.  The last over 12" and my road keeps getting narrower and narrower each time.  Part of the problem is the narrow 7' blade for the farm tactor.  With in in the slant position it dumps it right in front of the tires.  No problem if I could make a return trip and lay it back.  But with the previous snow build-up it is the point that I cannot get it back any further for fear of dropping over the bank.  So I hope it stops fairly soon or melts so I can see the road edge. 

Here is a picture of yesterdays endeavor.

glenn kangiser

That's wild Beavers. Thx for the pix.

John - I currently don't have any and don't want any.  Tons of rain though which will end up being more snow for you.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Hmmm....That wintery mix turning to rain we got last night, looks about a foot deep this morning.

Redoverfarm

Peter I think you got a little more than us in the big snow.  But I am trying to catch up with another 4" yesterday and last night.  Spent most of the day plowing at the house and cabin.  Trying to push back the berms some in anticipation of some more aggrevation.  It was slowly closing in.  Also made a 1/2 A@# attempt at the cabin road.  I got it about 1 vehicle wide which will have to do for now.  It was 19F today and winds 25-40 MPH and starting to drift pretty good.  I made a thermos of coffee before I left and made a pit stop at the cabin.  It was 30F inside but felt alot warmer after climbing off the 4 wheeler in that stuff.  When I got home I looked and felt like Frosty the snowman.  Much warmer now.

BTW I found a pretty good weather site the other day.  It is really acurate showing the storm fronts whether it is rain or snow.  It is a combination of Goggle Earth and weather.  You can see exactly where it is close to home.  Here it is and you can preset it to your location.

http://www.intellicast.com/

Stay Warm & dry

Redoverfarm

Probably the first day in at least 2 weeks that I didn't see snow flurries when I got up.  Temp 14F and sunny. The radar shows Atlanta is stealing my snow.  But that is OK with me.  Now if I can just figure out what to do with what is on the ground.  ;D

Redoverfarm

Just to give you an idea of how things have been in the Mountain State for the last month or so.  These are some pictures that my son had taken on Saturday not far from the house.

Here are two houses/cabins next door to each other.  And yes that is just snow in between them.

And yes we are not the only ones that are having a hard time coping with the snow.

MountainDon

Wow. that deer has to really work to get around. I've never seen one that deep. Maybe up to its belly.

Glad it's not me.   ;)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.