What a weekend! We arrived Friday afternoon (late) and quickly began to settle in. We had lots to do and wanted to get right to it however Friday wouldn't really be the day for that because it was mostly over. So, once we were moved in I brought our new 7 gallon water jug to the spigot and proceeded to fill it. The water was shooting out of the spigot like a cannon! WOW! I was surprised by the flow rate and the spray, clearly things were much better since my last effort to fix the problem and the air was sucked out!
I think it took all of 2 or 3 minutes to fill the jug and the flow never noticeably slowed. I was then able to get 5 gallons for the bathroom (flush water) also. Can't say how exiting that was!
Next I checked the trees and all but one appeared to be doing quite well though clearly the cold had 'burned' (?) some of the leaves on two of the trees, one of which appeared to be in serious trouble...also, I noticed that they were growing much slower then the crab down at our home (2600 feet lower in altitude).
Another of our trees, the crimson beauty, was planted a little crooked (actually it was planted straight up and down but when packing it in it tilted a bit) and was far worse since the hardware cloth wrap had fallen over (3rd time I learned). I pulled the wrap and decided to let the tree grow as is. Hopefully when it goes dormant I can dig it up and straighten it out?
Another was going like crazy! It was the biggest tree and doing very well.
Saturday morning arrived and I noticed that the two slowest growing trees were in the shade at least two hours longer then the rest. I sharpened my saw and immediately planned to cut down the offending trees! However I had a well to improve still.
My neighbor arrived to help with the well solar and we set right away to removing the old 60 watt panels and replacing them with the 190watt panel we'd bought from Sunelec.
It turned out that we didn't need to do anything other then drill 8 new holes in the rack and mount the panel!
I then connected the new controller and threw a switch in between it and the pump and when the panel was in full sun I just had to hit the switch and it would start right up
Can't wait to install the float valve!
With the well done I went back to the orchard and proceeded to cut down the trees that were keeping two of my apples in the shade and then bucked them up into firewood (except two big pine logs I left for the mill). My wife hauled all the rounds off to the wood shed and moved the slash into piles and by the end of the day we'd managed to buck up close to a cord of wood! I then chopped that and she stacked in the shed.
We were smoked by the end of the day! But it felt good.
Sunday morning the trees were no longer in the shade and after attempting to check water pressure (the gauge didn't work) I watered each tree. Pressure was way down at the end of the 200 feet of hose but I was getting about 1.4 gallons of water per minute (tested in a 5 gallon bucket) so I watered each tree with one getting a bit more since it looked pretty dry around it.
Later in the day we began building the fence around the orchard. It took a bit but eventually my wife and I got the system down
We finished the first two sections that night and planned to complete the rest in the morning.