16x20 post and beam in Hawaii

Started by Travis, January 02, 2008, 03:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

Happy New Year. Wanted to see if I could figure out this posting thing.

I'm not sure if the pics will make it. I'm trying to paste them from a Kodak gallery that I have. Anyway, just wanted to share my project with everyone. It's a 16x20 post and beam with a half loft. I have shed dormers on both sides of the loft area. The main roof is a 12/12 pitch. I'm planning on living in this six monthes a year, and then spending the other six months in Alaska. I plan to build a larger home, but that will most likely be a couple years down the road. Production has been very slow because of the holidays, but hopefully I will get going again soon. This is the first time I've tried posting pics to a forum so hopefully they make it. I'll post more as I figure out this whole computer thing.

Redoverfarm

w*

Travis I could not get these to come up. Maybe just me.  I had difficulty in posting my photo's until Mt.Don guided me through and using www.Photobucket.com it was a cinch.  Real easy to use.  You have to stay within the image size.  Look forward to your future post.

John

Travis

Well, can't seem to get pics from Kodak gallery. I think I will try photobucket.

Thanks John, the photobucket seems to have worked!!!!

tj4orange

I see them Travis and looks good.  You are at both ends of the spectrum in living areas!  From Alaska to Hawaii!  I am impressed and jelious.  What does a person have to do to have that lifestyle?  I have heard about areas in Hawaii being cheap (for the land) if it is a smaller island and the possibility of a volcano.  Heard due to the risk you can't have insurance on you home obviously. Does this sound true or are the voice in my head talking again?  I thought I read where people were buying something like a acre for a few grand and building over glorified huts.

Redoverfarm

Travis you "got er done".  How far along are you as it relates to the photo's?  I would imagine that the concrete piers foundations will help some with the insect problems I think are associated with over there.  Have you already built your place in Alaska or is it another "to do" project.  Somewhat different than on the east coast with my project.

https://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd161/redoverfarm/hightop/

Keep us posted with the progress on one or both.

John

Travis

Hello tj4orange. Im not sure about the insurance issues. I'm building unpermitted so I don't think I could get insured anyway. Property values in Hawaii have rissen quite a bit in the last 6+ years that I've been here. When I first came here you could find acre lots on the south end of the big island for less than 10k. Haven't seen that for a while though. Most start at 20k, and go up from there. As far as the AK to HI commute, I grew up in Alaska, and go up to run charter boat for the summer. My parents and brother live there year round. I spend the winter months in Hawaii working construction jobs. Hopefully if things work out I will have this cabin liveable before I fly back to Alaska in April.

John: I have forgotten to take the camera, since these pics were taken. Just got the metal on the roof, and still need to button up gable and dormer sheating. Haven't done windows yet, still can't decide on the sizes. As far as Alaska, I just recently got my permit, so I will probably only do the site work this summer. Hopefully I'll be able to build the following year. By the way, just checked out your project. Fantastic job!!!!

Travis

MountainDon

Looking good Travis. At least no worry about frost there!  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CWhite

Great looking place.  Nice privacy in the jungle there.   

I sure do envy your tropical option today.  In the teens here and not letting up yet.  This is where living in a camper and a chicken house test my strengths.
Christina

glenn kangiser

Looks great - welcome to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

karnf

Hey Travis,
Welcome. Everyone is envious but inspired by your life and wanting the best out of it. My brother-in-law
lives in Maui and only visited there once but the cheaper land you spoke of looks inviting. I love your cabin
you are building. You said a post and beam. Is it like a timber frame. My husband just took a class. How did
you skill?

Travis

Hello Karnf, I don't think I would classify this as a timber frame. The cabins platform and roof structure are conventional. The walls are built with 4x4 posts with 2x4 horizontal purlins, and 4x6 top plates. The most complex joint was just half-lapping the 4x6's in the corners. On most timber frames, ther are much larger framing members with complex joints to hold everthing together. I think post and beam originated from timber framing, but instead of being held together by joinery alone, it relies on nails and hardware.

pic of half lap

Travis

Hi everyone, figured I'd post a few more pics. Haven't been able to spend as much time on the property as I would like. I'm almost dried in now, and am getting ready to take off for the summer. I'll spend another day or two before I leave, to finish framing the front gable and installing the entry door. I've included the floorpan that I will hopefully stick with (I've modified this cabin numerous times since I've started).

ED: repaired img tags to allow photos to show here - MD

Redoverfarm

Travis long time no hear. Thought for awhile that one of those tropical storms got you.  Making good progress but it is slow working by yourself.  Keep us posted on the progress.  Like the ladder. ;D ;D

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.