Splitting concrete form stakes. Ground is to hard.HELP!

Started by ben2go, November 14, 2016, 03:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

I have put down nearly 1000 gallons of water, through a sprinkler, to help with dust and setting concrete forms. We finally had a  sprinkle of rain yesterday and it didn't help. It's been months since we have had any significant rain.I am using 1 1/4 inch square stakes around my forms. The stakes keep breaking in half and splitting. I'm using a 5lbs hand sledge to drive them in. What can I do different? It was suggested to use 3/8 rebar pins. How would I connect the steel to the wood in a way to prevent the forms from sliding down the rebar?

NathanS

You can buy metal form stakes at a big box store. They have little holes in them to accept wire ties to hold the forms up.

They will be in the concrete/block/masonry isle probably in one of the cubbies by the short pieces of rebar.

ben2go

Quote from: NathanS on November 14, 2016, 04:13:17 PM
You can buy metal form stakes at a big box store. They have little holes in them to accept wire ties to hold the forms up.

They will be in the concrete/block/masonry isle probably in one of the cubbies by the short pieces of rebar.

I just got back home from there. I looked for those,after seeing them online, but they didn't have them in stock at Lowes or Home Depot. When I inquired at the contractor desk,they bang away on the computer and then shrug at me. I'll look online,specifically at Lowes and Home Depot, and then take the item number to my local Lowes or Home Depot. Is there a special name for them? There must be,or I think they would have found them.  ???

ben2go

I just figured out why they didn't find them. They are named rebar pins. They kept telling me they only have rebar. I don't think they looked at the close up pics to see the holes in them. I didn't see them until I enlarged the pics. So, now I see they are supposed to be in stock at my local Lowes, but I never saw them. I'll have a walk around in there in the morning before the rush hits and take the item number to make a new inquiry.  [cool]

Tickhill

you can use 2 hole conduit straps to secure the rebar stakes to the wood frame
Tickhill
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

NathanS

Yeah, unfortunately the help at those stores isn't much help. They look at me cross eyed when I ask questions too. I have also caught them, more than once, giving me advice on things that is dead wrong..

I found masonry to be the most secretive or mysterious trade. Also might be the type of work I enjoy the most.

My Lowes has precut rebar pieces in 1' - 2' lengths. They are in stacked cubbies... mixed in with them is where the metal stakes are - in varying lengths. Also come to think of it, I think the holes are big enough for nail or screws too.

Tickhill's idea also sounds like a good option.

Redoverfarm

Rebar is fine providing that it is long enough for ground penetration and have enough out of the ground to support forms.  You can use just 16d nails driven into the forms and then bent over the rebar to form a sort of horseshoe style over the rebar.  Two would be recommended spaced apart to incorporate 2/3 's of the space.  They should be bent in different directions.  Basicly they are just to keep the rebar upright.  The main purpose of the rebar is to keep the forms from blowing out.

ben2go

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 14, 2016, 08:42:03 PM
Rebar is fine providing that it is long enough for ground penetration and have enough out of the ground to support forms.  You can use just 16d nails driven into the forms and then bent over the rebar to form a sort of horseshoe style over the rebar.  Two would be recommended spaced apart to incorporate 2/3 's of the space.  They should be bent in different directions.  Basicly they are just to keep the rebar upright.  The main purpose of the rebar is to keep the forms from blowing out.

Never thought of that. My forms are just above the edge of my excavation site and they are 6 inches tall. I should have enough length with 12 to 16 inch rebar. I also have the nails you mention plus other sizes.

Quote from: NathanS on November 14, 2016, 08:25:50 PM
Yeah, unfortunately the help at those stores isn't much help. They look at me cross eyed when I ask questions too. I have also caught them, more than once, giving me advice on things that is dead wrong..

I found masonry to be the most secretive or mysterious trade. Also might be the type of work I enjoy the most.

My Lowes has precut rebar pieces in 1' - 2' lengths. They are in stacked cubbies... mixed in with them is where the metal stakes are - in varying lengths. Also come to think of it, I think the holes are big enough for nail or screws too.

Tickhill's idea also sounds like a good option.

Some of the advice I have received at big box stores has been dangerous,especially on the electrical side,but I digress.

I looked through the cubbies but all I saw was a bunch of different size/length rebar mixed together.  n*

Quote from: Tickhill on November 14, 2016, 07:57:08 PM
you can use 2 hole conduit straps to secure the rebar stakes to the wood frame
Tickhill

I have plumbing strapping. Maybe not as strong.  ???

ben2go

I live in northern Spartanburg County SC. If you haven't already heard, we are having some really bad wildfires in upstate SC and western NC. I live on a hump,in a bowl-shaped depression in the earth. We haven't had much wind in over a week, and not much rain in months. All the smoke from the wildfires is really affecting my breathing, so I didn't get any work done today.

I did go search for those rebar pins for my forms. I found them buried in the back of the 1/2 x 24-inch rebar cubby.  d* I bought four to finish up one side. If I can get them driven in low enough, I may replace all of my wooden stakes. They have started loosening up in the ground.

I grabbed a #2 x 1 5/8" Grab-Rite screw and stuck it in the pin. It fits good with very little wiggle room.The pins are sold as .75 x .75 x 12 inch. I measured them. I found they vary by 1/16th of an inch in diameter and by a half inch in length. Not a big deal for my intended use,but thought I'd mention it for others that may be looking in.

A pic er two for your viewing pleasure.  ;D