Alex Wade

Started by ki4hpz, April 21, 2006, 04:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ki4hpz

I have one of Alex book on energy efficience house. I like the salt box design. Is there a way to contact him for to buy the plans?

ty

milo

I'm afraid Alex is no longer with us. One of his books has the saltbox plans included. It is titled "A Design and Construction Handbook for Energy-Saving Houses". Good luck, the saltbox is a nice plan.

ki4hpz

Sorry about Alex.  "A Design and Construction Handbook for Energy-Saving Houses" is the book the plan is in. I got the book a long time ago want to build a second home in the north ga mountains using the salt box design with "The Solar House" by Daniel Chiras priciples.  I would probable have to cut the skylighs down to prevent overheating in the winter and to much heat in the summer.

What software home design package is pretty easy to try to design the saltbox with?

ki4hpz

Thanks, I already have the worn and torn book I bough years ago. What is a decent software package to design the saltbox with so i can play with changes?

TBA

Sorry, I misunderstood.

DesignCAD is quite good in my opinion and the price is reasonable as well.

ki4hpz

Which one of the designcad packages would be best?

Dustin

I'm a fan of Hometime and noticed they're working on a house that I swear is one of Alex Wade's designs. It's a house built in the late 70's and has the look of several houses in his books. Check it out.  They're updating the kitchen, who knows what else.
His books are priceless. Chock full of lots of good info and ideas.

ki4hpz

STill need help with an easy home design software package for a saltbox design home. Some many packages and bad reviews for lots...lol

ty

Amanda_931

Far as I know, all the software packages have significant learning curves.  Even 3DHD, version 3--now almost unavailable, but if you find it it's quite inexpensive--gave me fits.

Pencil and paper might have a good deal less.  And it's usually cheaper.

May get to do less in the way of checking loads with a software program, but if you are using local woods, etc., you get to do that anyway.  And you really do need a book on framing/general building, load tables are a good addition.  Somebody here did a brief introduction on Structural Engineering for owner-builders.

There is a list of some recommended books you can get to from the front page of this site (www.countryplans.com) and John gets a bit of a cut if you order from the 500 pound gorilla--AKA Amazon--by clicking on them from here.

Learning to see how a plan works may be something different.  At one time, I was pretty addicted to house-plans magazines.  I learned a lot that way.  And when I was a child, my father taught me to read plans--to mentally walk through them, performing chores, putting things away, cooking, etc.  Where do things go, what's going to be easy, what hard, in this building.  Works for furniture too.

One of the books I read once asks you to sketch out and critique every place you've lived in.  What's good, what's horrible, get an idea of what your pet peeves are, and what would make you fall in love with a house.  I've got lots of pet peeves.  Some of which are very well known here.

Amanda_931

Series was in at least 8 parts, started by Ryan B.  Here's the link to part 8.

link no longer available

ki4hpz

Amanda here are some helpful books he needs to add...

Energy-Efficient Building (Best of Fine Homebuilding)
by Fine Homebuilding Magazine (Editor), Editors of Fine Homebuilding

The Solar House: Passive Heating and Cooling (Paperback)
by Daniel D. Chiras

***NEW Passive Solar House: The Complete Guide to Heating and Cooling Your Home
by James Kachadorian (Hardcover - July 31, 2006)

Amanda_931

How does the NEW Katchadorian differ from the old?

I parted company with the old the minute I thought about vents in the floor.

(which I believe is the most economical way of getting the inlet and outlet for those channels.)