Victoria Cottage at Lake Cushman, Washington

Started by CREATIVE1, February 01, 2008, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desimulacra

WOW, Reading this thread has me grateful AGAIN that I live in an area that only the Sewer and Electrical have to be inspected. No Permits!! Yea sometimes someone will endup with a bad neighbor but hey thats America!
A neighbor just built their house, they told the contractor to build a basement 30'x40' and put a floor /roof  ??? on it. When the floor was on they went in and put lawn furniture, boxes... and set-up their house. When they had it like they wanted they drew lines with paint for the walls, doors, cabs. .. While not the way I would have done it, it seems to have worked for them!!
West Tennessee

CREATIVE1

It's absolutely thrilling to be an example of where not to build and how not to go about it, but maybe I'll help someone else (or write a book). And I must say, if I ever build a house again--probably won't after this experience-- I'll check out the permitting climate thoroughly and build immediately. 

If I don't get my plans redone by June, there is some stormwater thing that could also bite me on the butt to the tune of about $30,000.  Along with being the first one caught in the sprinkler thing, this is just peachy.  If I'd started building 2 or 3 years ago, it would have been easier.

deertracks

Two or three years ago would have been easier and cheaper for most of us, permit-wise!
The fact that getting your permit in May vs. June could cost you $30,000. spells out how greedy someone
is being somewhere. Good luck with your project. Hope the building goes smooth for you once you get past
this hurdle. Will this be a full time residence for you?

CREATIVE1

Yes, Deertracks, we plan to move there when we're done.  I knew the logistics of building 3,000 miles away was going to take terrific planning, but never expected to be so hung up in the beginning.

It's kinda like if you have had terrible luck, you almost feel that for the universe to stay in balance you should have a terrific experience coming up soon.  I'm trying to think that way. 

Trying to get the "semi-final" plans still.  Apparently I am the b____  from hell.  My husband's handling this now, I'm too upset to make my points. 
Some questions for our most illustrious members:
Why would she ask me to return the draft before I get my original engineered plans and updated plans back?  Issues brought up were correct?  Trying to keep me from knowing that?  Trying to delay a process that's already two months behind?  Doesn't make sense to anyone I've talked to.  Also, no DWG's/CAD files coming.  She says someone can just "finish" this.  Not really true, unless I have it hand drawn as changes/details on the original plans.  CAD designers would have to start over.  Am I correct about this?  It's what I've heard so far.

mvk

CREATIVE1

When is the TV show don't want to miss it. :)

Is new firm in WA the 3rd person you have doing this?

Do you need a architect in WA? How did you start ,with your ideas, picture? I guess you have something in mind that is different then John's plans? There's a CAD guy at work he is a mechanical engineer who does houses on the side, has a friend who is a engineer at a truss company who will stamp his drawings. He charges $50-100 a page. Seems like someone like that maybe what you need if allowed.

Sure would like to see you post what you have so far.

Nice site by the way.

What's that storm water thing about, do you have to build a catchment basin on your site (rain garden), or is there one built off your site that you pay to use. Or is that just an additional fee for the G. Kinda see why they might want to protect that lake though. 

Mike

MountainDon

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on April 26, 2008, 08:56:22 AM
Why would she ask me to return the draft before I get my original engineered plans and updated plans back?  ............ Also, no DWG's/CAD files coming.  She says someone can just "finish" this.  Not really true, unless I have it hand drawn as changes/details on the original plans. .......... CAD designers would have to start over.  Am I correct about this?  .......
Make copies of the drafts if you can, and then just get on with the exchange.  ???  I don't understand the reasoning on her part, unless it's that she's going to pull the plug when she gets her stuff back. (That's my pessimistic, what can go wrong next, dark side speaking).

She's not going to supply DWG/CAD's at all? Was that in the deal? And yes, anyone using CAD would have to start over from scratch in the computer unless they had the DWG files to begin with.

G/L
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CREATIVE1

MVK

Yes the next guy is in Washington.  He was recommended by EVERYONE and can probably just make notes directly on my plans, if they're any good.  I already have an engineer, but he'll have to revisit a couple of changes.  If I need any additional help, you will be hearing from me.  Thanks.  Countryplans is a great community.

The storm water issue has to do with an updated code (beyond the 1992 standards, I think) that has affected other towns nearby and is adding tremendously to construction costs.  Right now I'm exempt because my new structure, including porches, driveways, etc., is less than 2,000 sf of covered ground.  I'll lose this exemption if they change the law, which is rumored to possibly go into effect in either June or July.  I'm hurrying to resubmit my plans before then.

My plans are much different than the original Victoria because I wanted it to be centrally heated by a wood stove and was required to have full code stairs.  I've spent $1,600 (not including engineering) so far to have a set of code compliant plans with the changes, and I'm not there yet.  Will post current plans later, with the help of one of the Countryplans administrators  Haven't figured that all out yet. 

Working title for the book?  Suggestions?  "The Money Pit" has already been done.

CREATIVE1

Make copies of the drafts if you can, and then just get on with the exchange.  ???  I don't understand the reasoning on her part, unless it's that she's going to pull the plug when she gets her stuff back. (That's my pessimistic, what can go wrong next, dark side speaking).

She's not going to supply DWG/CAD's at all? Was that in the deal? And yes, anyone using CAD would have to start over from scratch in the computer unless they had the DWG files to begin with.

G/L

In the contract all she promised was three sets of plans.  In emails, she said she would send DWG files when changes had been made.  Now she is refusing to supply the DWG's, and (again) calling me an idiot for thinking I need these.  I'm seeing a local architect tomorrow who will be looking over my copy of the draft to see if someone can hand draw the changes.

At the very least she's trying to delay the process, and I'll bet she wants me to sign a release before she provides anything more.  Dark side makes a lot of sense.  You should see the emails.  Ouch.

ED: repaired tag for the quote - MD

MountainDon

Ah! If the DWG's were not part of the original deal I'd say she's within her rights to say no to giving them to you.

:( :(

Do you mind if I fix your quote in the above message... you've got an un-needed  /  in the first tag.
The syntax for tags is... 

[opening tag goes here]   the quoted text goes here....   [/closing tag goes here]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CREATIVE1

Please do, MountainDon.  I was just trying to cut down the post so I could answer it directly, obviously don't know how.

I can see that she is within her rights on the DWG issue, but since she broke the contract and is costing me additional time and money, it seems that she could offer them to me for a couple of hundred dollars or instead of printed plans.  She could just email them.  Her language in one email where she quits suggests that a designer can just take over and finish the plans.  Obviously she is not providing me with what I need to accomplish that.

Waiting for another nasty reply to our email asking to exchange the draft for updated drawings and my copy of the engineered plans in person so I can get on with this.  Hey, you have to try. 

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Creative, click the more button on the reply box for the smileys you need for your project. [noidea' [frus] n* [toilet] [shocked] heh [frus] [frus] [frus]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CREATIVE1

Cool!  Many more smileys to come, hopefully really smiling at some point.

CREATIVE1

Well, back again.  Plans being resubmitted to the Building Department, mailed this week.  Geotechnical Report has been updated and submitted.  I'm in contact with a pipefitter who will design the sprinkler system.  In the meantime, have made some good contacts for materials.  Just a couple more things to do before we sit back and see what else they don't like.  (Hope I'm being pessimistic here).

The Lake Cushman Community wants elevations of the house to be submitted for approval, which I'm doing.  Kinda funny, because you'd either have to trespass on our property or break down the gate 1/4 mile away to even SEE the place.  ;D

glenn kangiser

How intrusive.  I'd tell them.....nevermind -- I don't do well around civilization. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

duglyuckling

Hi.  Got the plans and made minor changes, cleared the land and put in access, water supply, septic, power, all of which is properly permitted.  We have accumulated all windows and doors, lighting, flooring, roofing, and plumbing including a complete demo kitchen from home depot (our house is so full of cabin it may explode).  We applied for the building permit and was told it was a 2-3 week process, now at week 7 I finally get some action, they want an engineers stamp on the plans.  The one guy to look at the plans sofar is talking $2000 to start and he says we will have to fly him over a couple of times at $500 a shot plus the flight.  The fun is going out of this, right now I have help lined up and the time to get a lot of this finished.  I have to figure that as soon as I return to work it will be green lights all the way.  I'm tempted to buy a prefab kit (minus the items I already have) just to get the engineering and planning crap finished with.  We are at least close to the property which is in the Gulf Islands near Vancouver, I don't know how you people with long distances to cover ever get this stuff done.   Too many roadblocks, I need a beer. 

glenn kangiser

How about walking him through wearing a pair of rubber boots for $50.  Sounds like he just likes airplane rides - How can he get in touch with the site from a plane. I'd find someone else.

CREATIVE1

The "taking the fun out of it" post hit the nail on the head.  Watching a house rise out of the ground and making all those creative decisions has the potential of some enjoyment.  So far, the ABSOLUTE opposite is occurring.   [frus] [scared] [toilet] [crz]  My standard response has become, "I'm not building the Taj Mahal."

glenn kangiser

Have patience, Creative.  You will be - or at least it seems they are trying to get the cost and time up there to the equivalent..

CREATIVE1

glenn kangiser

...to possibly be made into a full length feature movie. ::)

CREATIVE1

I am SO glad we didn't wait any longer to build.  It seems that every day there is something new.  Now the geotechnical engineer has to fill out a checklist and make comments because we are building within 50 feet of a slope.  (By the way, there is no place to build on the property that is not in this situation).  Now the neighbors will be contacted and given two weeks to respond.  Remember, we're the ones that really can't be seen from any viewpoint. :o

glenn kangiser

We are so democratic...with private property.

ScottA

You have my permission to build near the slope. Good luck with your other neighbors.  d*

akemt

My mother's neighbor put in a detatched garage on his property (older area) and the borough (like a county) decided he had to redo the septic because the garage would be too close.  They had it engineered and the borough told him exactly where to place it and it was followed to a "T" (btw, the only thing this borough cares about are septic systems and zoning setbacks, basically).  Well, as soon as it was completed they told him he'd still have to pay the fine for it being too close to his exhisting residence, despite the fact that he put it exactly where they'd told him...the only possible place on the lot with the already exhisting house.  Bunch of hooey.
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska