metal building, weekend cabin

Started by mikkelibob, January 19, 2009, 04:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkelibob

Yeah, roof pitch is 3/12, and the porch is more like 2/12. There is a transition there, which could be trouble, but since its not over insulated living space, I'm not worried about it.
Update: its freaking hot.

Not a lot of "during" photos, since we were too busy sweating and drinking in order to sweat. Probably won't get walls up for another 2 weeks. But lemme tell you, the porch already feels nice. Once we got a couple panels up, the dog stayed under. Smart dog.

ToddSInGA

Wow, I LOVE this idea!!! I'm getting ideas together for my first home and the metal building conversion seems like what I'm headed towards.

Thanks for sharing with us :)

Susan on the Osage Plains

My brother did this and they have a cozy home. 

He and his wife, myself and my husband and a neighbor built it.

We've thought about going this route,,,but haven't decided yet.

Ad Astra Per Aspera

It means "to the stars through difficulty".  It is the state motto of KANSAS.

considerations

It looks good right now.  Just put up screens instead of walls and move in. (for the summer)  8)

mikkelibob

2 of 4 sides up, and trim.
delivery of wall and trim materials:

so hot, the ants fried:

this is the south side, we decided it needed a window.

welding up the purlins

tada

mikkelibob

window trim:

measure twice, cut once. here's a little window

sawing aint so bad, but its loud

back:

front:

Redoverfarm

Looking real good and making great progress.  What type of window trim are you using.  With metal I can see there would be a tendency to leak if the trim wasn't designed right.  Are you going with spray foam insulation?  Although you do not have the cold to really worry about you will probably need something to protect you from the heat.

mikkelibob

The windows were home depot clearance specials. All aluminum framed, which makes it easy to just metal screw into the purlins. The trim is just kinda j shaped metal pieces ordered from the metal supply folks. The metal panels come down over the j, as sort of a built in flashing. Honestly, its not awesome, from the side you can kinda see into the unpainted portion of the trim. Eventually we might rip some 1x1s and match the paint to dress it up a little.

The plan is to put spray foam on the underside of the roof, maybe down about 8" on the long north/south sides where the walls go past the 10' purlin to join the roof. We may do spray foam above the 10' line on the east/west (peaked) sides as well. Just a little, we'd rather save a little and have the spray foam to stop condensation and then add some fiberglass under that. The roof purlins are true 6", so even with an inch or two of foam, we'll have some space. We could always fur out another couple of inches if we want more. The trim is just basic metal trim, which isn't super tight, i.e. the foam will be nice to help seal things. I may stuff steel wool into whatever holes I find before the foam guy comes out. The walls are otherwise probably just going to be vinyl backed fiberglass.

The two bedrooms are going to be insulated well in the inside walls and ceilings (above the rooms will be some loftish storage space). The plan - for now - is to have the bedrooms able to be independently cooled in the warmer months with 1 or 2 honda eco generators. The 600 some sq ft is probably too much to really cool the entire thing without a big/loud generator or a giant solar system. I'm hoping to put a small solar sytem in (12v maybe) just for LED lights and maybe some fans.

mikkelibob

mikkelibob

trim is up:

We put down some 'concrete sealer'. Maybe its all snake oil, but I figured if it does any good it will be worth it. Went ahead and put down probably 4 gallons. Between the wall panels and the bottom stringer I put down a ton of silicone; and between the stringer and the concrete did another bead of silicone. Used 32 tubes when all was said and done, including where the metal panels meet on the inside. I put it on thick everywhich way I could, since it will be covered up with drywall I don't care if it looks to bad.

framing up a bedroom and bathroom. Will put in 1x furring strips along the external walls, and will frame up another small bedroom. Above the 8' studs will be a fully insulated cieling. That way the top can be used as loft storage.

mikkelibob

lots of 'cone to seal as best I could the bottom where the walls meet the lower stringer & slab.

rafters for the little storage loft above the bedroom and bathroom. Bedroom with pull down attic stairs for out of the way access:

ED: inserted picture separators for clarity - MD

MountainDon

Nice to see progress.

I don't recall i you stated what sort o insulation method you will be using?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mikkelibob

At the moment the plan is spray insulation for the roof, and vinyl wrapped fiberglass insulation for the exterior walls. Under the roof we may do as little spray foam as possible (enough to prevent condensation on the underside of the metal), and fill the rest of the 6" purlin depth with regular insulation. We will use regular 3.5" pink fiberglass to insulate the interior walls of the bedrooms, so that our little honda generator can power a small window a/c to cool off a bedroom for summer sleeping.

If anyone has experience with insulating the underside of metal roofing, let me know. The vinyl backed insulation is probably quite a bit cheaper, but I want to reduce/eliminate condensation issues as much as possible.

mikkelibob

sorry to bring this back up (a special "addition" to our home slowed things down greatly!), but the project continues...

septic and temporary water/plumbing

(water heater vent now installed, not pictured)

kitchen:

trimming the roof for gutters:

water collection (temporary support, 8 pt posts were 6 inches short. doh!)

propane heat, 12v lights & water pump, additional 110v set up when plugging in trusty honda generator, all more or less operational. Partial drywall/insulation, wood burning stove, and completion of water line from 1550 gal tank on our list.

dridril

did you ever drill a well ?
if you can get a 300' well drilled and pump & pt installed for $4000 your getting a heck of a bargain
i just had one drilled here in Fayette county 132' deep and it was almost $ 4700
water sand from '85 to 130 makeing about 15 gal/min

mikkelibob

Never even got a quote. A neighbor has let us fill the 55 gal barrels gratis. Just installed the water collection - way cheaper given our very modest usage. If we ever retired out there we would build a proper house, and convert this into a shop (which is what it is as far as the county knows). I always was told 10 to 12 bucks a foot, plus pump. But surely that's too simple, I am sure there are fixed and overhead costs that apply.