Accessibility

Started by jwv, November 03, 2006, 10:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwv

When my mother had a stroke she became wheelchair bound and needs care around the clock. Due to the house she had at that time, living there was no longer feasible.  Her greatest want was to "go back home".  When we decided to build another house, my goal was to make it as accessible as possible so that if we face that, we will have more options.  When Rick recently fractured his kneecap, he learned firsthand of the difficulty doing normal everyday tasks can be even with a seemingly minor injury.

I've used information from many websites and the Pima Co (AZ) code requires "inclusive home design" i.e zero step entrance, 32" doorways, 30" hallways, grab bars, light switch at height someone in a wheelchair can reach.  I'm interested to know what those of you with personal experience would have as Top 5 on your list for accessibility.

Thanks, Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Amanda_931

No experience here.

But I did love my Nashville house for its no-steps-into-the-back-door. It did mean termites in the kitchen walls, though.  One of the nice things about (loadbearing, anyway) straw bale.

Not only light switches, but also electrical outlets at a height that you don't have to crawl around under tables, etc. to reach them.

When I broke my leg here, I was always in a walking cast, so I could manage the steps into the trailer.  But one dog went immediately to "puppy camp" (he loves that expensive boarding kennel, and they really do love him) and after I got back from a trip we worked on something a dog trainer emphasized.  If you're the dog mommy, you get to go out first.  Blessedly they rarely charge the door now, I've no desire to fall off the doorstep two feet down onto my nose, as the leashed dogs drag me.

There has been a fair amount of talk on the subject recently in the dogtrot house thread, including a couple of kind of interesting links.

jwv

I saw that thread but didn't want to highjack it.

We have a dog who charges the door, among other bad dog habits.

Judy

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Amanda_931

I didn't enforce the "mommy leaves first" rule in Nashville with the two that I had up there.  Partly because the back door had no steps, and there was a gate to the driveway.  But here we don't go for a walk at all unless they are sitting as I step out.  They were always leashed--both leash law and the fact that we lived close to under a very busy 5-lane highway, so I've continued that practice for them here.  So it wasn't too hard to teach "mommy leaves first."  I have been known to slam the door, heave a big sigh and start to take off leashes if they don't sit to wait for me to tell them it's OK to come out.  They don't like that.   ;)

Ailsa C. Ek

My MiL is wheelchair-bound, so I've been learning what is needed to accomodate one.  No-step doorways are very impractical in snow country, so wheelchair ramps are needed.  At least one bathroom needs to be accessible - enough room to turn a wheelchair, grab bars on wall, barrier-free shower stall.  Kitchen counters should be low enough that someone in a wheelchair can use them.  Good broad doorways, no tight turns required anywhere in the house, bedroom and laundry on ground floor (stairchairs are nice, but if there was a fire, you wouldn't want to have to rely on one to escape the house, and you certainly don't want to have to use one to shlep laundry), direct egress from ground floor bedroom to outdoors is a nice plus (in case of fire).

Also, make the dining area big enough that a person in a power wheelchair can sit at the table and move past the table without endangering others.

jwv

Good points, thanks! The kitchen is in the planning stages at this point and is small.   We were going to have a fixed island but your post makes me rethink that-due to the size of the kitchen I may want to use an island on wheels that could be move around for convenience and taken out completely, with ease, if in the way in the future.

I also looked into raising the DW but have so little counter space don't knwo if that would work-I haven't given up on it tho. The oven will be in the wall and in a "universal" cabinet so at a good height for anyone with a nearby landing space.  I'm still thinking on having the undersink area open ...

Also, the plan had been to raise the outlets to about 24 inches but in the push to get the electrical finished that idea got lost.

Judy

pforden

Hi,
I have a 23 year old son who has severe cerebral palsy -- uses a power wheelchair and is dependent in most daily living activities. He is a recent college grad now in grad school, so he's had several experiences living in different accessible venues. Naturally, we have a lot of experience with what does and does not work. For our retirement and his visits, we have ordered plans for the Grandfather Cottage -- that gives you the basic accessibility options for doorway size, entryways, etc., to start off with. You ask for our Top Five accessibility features. Here are what I think has helped the most:

1. The most important thing we did for my son's independence was to buy him the Toto Jasmine bidet, which allows him to be completely independent in toileting. This bidet, while expensive, has been working without a problem for more than 4 years now. It attaches as a seat to a toilet and works with a remote control unit so that if, for example, a person has limited use of his or her hands, it is still possible to take care of basic toileting alone. This bidet requires an outlet near the toilet, so that is a design component is important to planning for living with a severely disabled person.

2. A double width shower bench makes using the accessible shower easy. You can put on a velcro belt if you need to. Don't install a fixed flip-down shower chair. They break and they lack flexibility of use.PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO FEATURES ON YOUR WATER HEATER. THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER **MUST BE CONTROLLED AT THE WATER HEATER** TO AVOID SCALDING.

3. Shelves instead of drawers or closed cabinets. Pull-outs or lazy Susans, etc., to make reaching things easier. Swing-away faucets are a help and accessible handles a must. Accessibility in the kitchen can focus most safely on the use of the microwave. For my son, we have a good sized space outside of the microwave which allows him to slide microwaved items onto a tray or plate to be carried to the table. A flip down or up counter space also might allow a wheelchair user to eat right in front of the microwave, if carrying is not an option. The non-skid rolls now sold for kitchen shelves are worth their weight in gold -- use them all over the house.

4. Power door openers. I am surprised that these are relatively inexpensive in relation to the utility they give a person who uses a power wheelchair and who may have trouble with keys. Sometimes, using a key may be as easy as buying a large sized key holder, but often not.

5. Using a personal computer, a person with a disability can have control over electrical outlets with very inexpensive software and some gadgets that plug into the wall sockets. We have not done this ourselves, but I know that it can make turning on and off lights and small appliances, etc. I believe that older persons often are delighted to be able to use the computer for environmental controls. A hospital rehab department occupational therapist can give you information about this kind of thing.

These are good starting points. There are a million and one items that will allow independence (which really means making ones own decisions, NOT being able to do everything alone.) I've included items very important to many adults who acquire disabilities.  I hope that you find some of this useful.

Penny

Amanda_931

Yes.  

There's a whole continuum of physical challenges.  

One size does not fit all.

Bellla

Something else to add to the list are single lever controls for the faucets and lever style doorknobs that you push down on instead of the round ones you turn.  As for the dishwasher - would one of those drawer types work?  There are also drawer type refrigerators that would put everything below counter height.

This is a great thread for everyone to consider - wider hallways and doorways are easy to add when planning a house and loads more difficult to change once it's done.  I'll be incorporating things like this into our place.

Bellla