welding 101

Started by StinkerBell, December 11, 2010, 05:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I thought you said it wasn't pretty.
[noidea'
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

AdironDoc

I'm a beginner myself and can't help notice that when I use my flux core MIG I need to let plenty of wire out before I get enough puddle for a decent spot. Perhaps a thicker wire or faster feed rate is in order?

glenn kangiser

I would say turn up the wire speed.  Go until it bumps back at you then back it off a notch or two.

If you tell me your Machine name and model as well as the type of flux core you are using  and size material you are welding I can likely help a bit more.  

Watch the area of the arc closely through your welding helmet.  If there is a long plasma fire there without wire in it for more than about 1/8 inch then more wire is in order.  You should see about 1/8" or less where the wire is just about to contact the plate, however you should likely have about 1/2" of stickout from the tip to the plate.  Lots of plasma - excessive spatter indicates not enough wire as does islanding - where molten metal is showing after the weld is made and it has no slag over it.  A proper amount of wire should have a full slag coat over the entire weld even if doing a weave.

That is a bit dependent on wire type but 1/2 should work in most cases.  I assume you are using something such as NR211 MP .035 or .030.  I don't use the .030 as in flux core it is lighter than I want to use.  As I go to my big wire feeder I use .072 NR232, but I often use the small Millermatic 140 I think it is with the .035 for lots of decent sized work.  I run it off of my solar power and it does a great job.

I welded the dump bed on my Dodge 1 ton with it.

Back it off just enough to quit bumping on you but still good enough to get reasonably fast filling with good penetration.  The weld will be good right up to bumping but past that point it may weld over top a piece of metal rather than to it, and the bead can look pretty good.  Just watch that you get penetration to both pieces.

I like to do a small weave such as start center, forward and out then back and up - we are talking about 1/8 inch weave each direction or less,  so maybe a 3/16 to 1/4 bead max here.  The back and up portion goes a bit over the previously laid and slightly cooled lower forward and out moving the weld up a little wider on the top, but keeping both legs of the bead even because it naturally wants to lay down when hot.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

AdironDoc

That's good advice, Glenn. I need plenty of practice. I did notice the welds improved after turning up the wire speed fairly high. I'm using 0.035 wire. The welder was a entry level unit I chose to train on and as it would be seldom used, was about as cheap as they come. My welds have plenty of spatter and too small a puddle. When they cool, I notice the welds are usually not large or deep enough too.

http://www.amazon.com/MIG-100-Flux-Wire-Welder/dp/B000VICINI

glenn kangiser

That looks similar to the Harbor Freight one.  My nephew is a pro and he used one my dad bought.  He was not happy with it.

The transformer in a Miller 140 or similar is much better and smoother welding especially on long cords.  The similar Lincoln has plastic motor frame parts which break easily and it's weld quality is no where near as good as the Miller on a long cord.  Short cord it is fair.

You could try turning the wire up more - make sure the tip is clean with an oxy/acetylene tip cleaner or replace it so there is no dragging - dragging can happen any time a piece of spatter gets in beside the wire in the tip. 

If no more wire feed speed available, then try to turn down the heat a bit with the higher wire speed.

Double check your polarity... DCEN - electrode negative with flux core in most cases I know of.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Hog went and got me a "Lincoln AC- 225" I also got some pretty gloves and matching helmet.

glenn kangiser

Very cool.  Now the neighbors will be bringing their tractors to you for repairs..... :)

StinkerBell

I just hope I do not burn down the neighborhood.

glenn kangiser

Move the gas cans and flammables out....

I think I have set more stuff on fire with grinder sparks than with the welder and the torch.

Oh yeah, Stink... I don't think I'd try to wear the curlers while welding.

So - are you in the city - in your garage, etc.  Where is all of this action going to take place?

StinkerBell

Driveway. Hog said I will get an early Valentine's gift. A fire extingusher. He is so thoughtful.

glenn kangiser

Cool - you might want to put up a blind -cardboard refrigerator box etc. to keep from burning kids eyes - dogs eyes etc.  Probably around 30 seconds of staring at the arc close up is enough for a good eye burn.

Also - Good neighbors or nosy picky neighbors - ?  Some of them are attracted to the light of the arc like a moth.... [waiting]

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 19, 2010, 10:28:40 PM
Cool - you might want to put up a blind -cardboard refrigerator box etc. to keep from burning kids eyes - dogs eyes etc.  Probably around 30 seconds of staring at the arc close up is enough for a good eye burn.

Also - Good neighbors or nosy picky neighbors - ?  Some of them are attracted to the light of the arc like a moth.... [waiting]

That's one thing you need to take on faith. :-[
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

I believe,no faith needed on that. We will create some barrier.