Anti-virus software?

Started by Redoverfarm, September 13, 2009, 06:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Just looking around for some reliable program to use.  I have had Norton which is about to expire. It came with the computer when I bought it a year or so ago. I have had some issues with it that it apparently didn't catch.   Any thoughts or experiences?

Pox Eclipse

I highly recommend AVG 8.5 Free Edition.  Updates everyday, scans daily on a user schedule, automatically removes bad items.  Pretty bullet proof, and it won't slow your computer down as much as Norton or McAfee.  The best part is, it is completely free for home use.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801

fishing_guy

I run Macaffee, which is free with my cable.  In addition, I also run Spybot and Adaware.  Both have free versions which take care of issues that the anti virus programs do not.  You could also run AVG which is a good antivirus program.  

I think you have to run a combination of anti-virus and anti-spyware software to be fairly confident these days.  Spyware can take down your computer just about as quickly as a virus can.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

ScottA

glenn kangiser

AVG Free - I paid for Norton Bloatware- took the resource hog off and went to AVG Free with never a virus problem.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

What fishing_guy said. You should not simply trust to only an AV program.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

IronRanger

I used to help on a computer security forum. 

Add SpywareBlaster to the list of freeware.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I've used Nod32, but I've switched to the free version of Avast anti-virus.  It's more system heavy than AVG though, so I wouldn't suggest running it on an older computer.
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

peternap

I use AVIRA. it has a free version and carches things AVG didn't.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rwanders

There are several good ones available but, AVG is invariably one of the recommended ones----I have found it to be very easy to install and, importantly also, easy to keep updated.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

OkieJohn2

+1 on Avira, I used to use AVG till I awoke one morning with my computer constantly rebooting, seems AVG had "fixed" a problem, and deleted an essential Windows file, had to do a repair re install. So if you do use it, don't have it set up to automatically fix anything. Some people don't like Avira because once a day it pops up a window wanting to sell the non free version, one click and its gone, so I think thats a small price to pay for a free anti'virus.  I have also heard very good things about NOD32, but I'm a cheapskate and its not free.  Norton has also improved greatly in the 2009 version, not the resource hog it used to be.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools