IE8

Started by sparks, March 21, 2009, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

Anyone checked into this?

Trial run results??

http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=us

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

I'm never in a rush to try new software anymore.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

i use firefox or konqueror on a freebsd desktop at home. my wife uses ubuntu linux.  my primary machine at work is solaris unix based. 

I ditched microsoft years ago. 

no ie8 for me thank you very much. 

rwanders

Another happy firefox user here.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Ernest T. Bass

We switched to Firefix a couple years ago and never turned back..

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

Cool, Andrew.  You will not turn into a pillar of salt.  ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sparks

I use Windows XP and have Yahoo as a home page.....weird things have been occuring.

Yahoo sent an e-mail tonight recommending IE8. Hhmmmmm.....

I'm wondering what's next, is Google going to try pull a fast one on me??  Is this the equivalent of telephone service "slamming" ??

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

No reason to rush your upgrade to IE 8

Mark Joseph Edwards By Mark Joseph Edwards

Microsoft touts Internet Explorer 8 as a big improvement over previous versions of the browser in terms of security, speed, and compatibility.

While that's basically true, the inevitable new-release glitches — which are already appearing — suggest you should wait at least a month before upgrading.

When you choose a browser, your first consideration should be security. There's no doubt that Internet Explorer is the target of more malware than any other piece of software. In fact, using IE is like painting a bull's-eye on your forehead and walking into a war zone.

Even though IE 8 adds some useful security features, its continued reliance on ActiveX makes the browser vulnerable in its very foundation. This lack of security is a primary reason many people have stopped using IE.

Security isn't the only factor causing Web denizens to flock to alternative browsers. For years, Internet Explorer's page rendering has caused major headaches for Web developers and users alike. Some pages that look and function as designers intended in Firefox, Opera, and other third-party browsers have their layouts broken when rendered by Internet Explorer.

IE 8 makes an effort to improve compatibility but ultimately falls short.

more...
http://windowssecrets.com/paid/090402/#story1
I'm not certain that link will work for others; I'm a paid subscriber.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mtman

Another happy firefox user for past couple years. I gave up on ie

MountainDon

Looking back on this thread I see I never said that I've used Firefox since it first became available.

glenn kangiser

I once got upset at Firefox and tried IE - got to about 4 tabs running and crashed - I was a bit bothered at Firefox because It was loading up memory at 25 tabs or so but It seems most of my problem was from running Youtube in a tab to listen to music.  Dropped it and things got better. 

I like the bells and whistles and I think there is also a Kitchen Sink available.

MountainDon

diyfrank

I tried firefox when it first came out but couldn't figure out how to shut the tab feature off. ??? I hate clutter,  it bothers me. I went back to IE and had no problems with it. I have nothing on my desk top except a picture and my browser looks naked.
I see no need to up grade to EI8 until a  problem starts.
Home is where you make it

MountainDon

All the controls are under "tools" in the menubar.

My main reason for moving away from IE is for online security. IE has had more holes and MS is not fast enough at times to patch them. I also totally dislike IE's heavy dependence on ActiveX which is a key hole invaders can use.

mikeschn

I need Windoze for some CAD applications I run. Other than that, I try to use non-microsoft products.

Firefox for sure.

Also Gnumeric and Abiword.  ;D

I wouldn't run IE, and I wouldn't rush to be the first one to try new software either.

Mike...

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: diyfrank on April 04, 2009, 12:01:59 AM
I tried firefox when it first came out but couldn't figure out how to shut the tab feature off. ??? I hate clutter,  it bothers me.

For us, you don't have to open separate tabs; the tab bar disappears when you have only one page.. But, why wouldn't you want tabs?? At least for our slow DSL, it's easiest just to scroll through the unread topics and open each one that interests you in a separate tab so that they load in the background while you read... Otherwise it's

click..
wait..
read..
click back..
wait..
click..
wait..
read..
click back..
wait..
zzzzz...

etc. :)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

diyfrank

If it is faster on a slow connection I can see where any increaser in speed would help.
I typically open a new window each time I click on something  If I'm not done with the page I'm on.
or bookmark it to read later If I'm pressed for time.

I'm a less is best kind of person for the most part. I know firefox and goggle and all the others have good and bad reviews. You can almost go to a different forum and each one has a different browser that is preferred.  I was at one this morning that had a thread going similar to this and many seem to have install IE8 and liked it so far.
I have nothing worth while to hack into. Speed has rarely been an issue. I have a spell check that work well. I'll be jumping ship and trying something new when I have a problem with what I'm using. 
Home is where you make it

BobHHowell

I have used Firefox for years.  I have used Opera for a while back, too.  Either beat IE. 

rwanders

One of the nice things about Firefox is I rarely get any spam now---that may change some day if Firefox gets popular enough.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

hnash53

Google Chrome is fast fast fast...but not good for some stuff...ebay listings and some other stuff.  If you just want to surf pages it beats everything I've tried.