reusing corrugated steel roof panels

Started by june, September 20, 2008, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

I'm building a garden shed, mostly with scrounged materials, and am ready to put on the roof with salvaged corrugated panels.  What is the best way to fill the old nail holes, some of which had heads pulled through, leaving rather large (almost 0.5") holes?  The guy at the lumber yard said silicone caulk, but I want to be able to put a coating over the whole mess when I'm done.  I've never put on a roof before, so any other related suggestions are welcome!
June

glenn kangiser

Hi June - nice to see you back.

I have used lots of it and like the rusty ones the best for the natural antique building look.  I have used silicone and it does work fine - I use clear but gray may match fine also.  The problem is that silicone rubber doesn't like paint well.

Possibly a butyl caulking may be paintable and durable.  For the big holes you may want a backer such as a small piece of paper, tarpaper or foil- even duct tape to keep the caulking in place until it dries.

I found that a palm nailer will drive the nails right through the high part of the rib (where you want the nails with seals to prevent leaks) with no mashed fingers.  Otherwise a hammer and careful or hold them with a pliers will work.  You need a decent hit to get them through the high rib of the corrugation.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

June if they are really large holes a patch works well. If it is in the rib then cut out a piece of rib from left overs, silicone the bottom of the patch and then screw through which will pull the patch to the old roofing.  Same can be done on the flats as well. If they are small then butyle will work.  Then a coat of roofing cement/paint will seal any real small hairlines that is in there.

june

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.