floor

Started by dogneck, August 18, 2008, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

https://s534.photobucket.com/albums/ee350/folktree/?albumview=slideshow

I had some recent questions.  I managed to get the photos of beginning of project.    From the photos you can see that the 14x24 will be placed at the rear of the house.  12' is adjacent to the house where an old patio existed.  12' runs into the yard.    The 12' in the yard has a crawl space of 2ft to 3 1/2 ft from the ground.   The floor joists (over the old patio area) are only a few inches above the old patio.  Rather than exvacating the whole patio area, I left the sand filled area there, only taking off the top stone slates.  I am putting 6 mil vapor barrier down.    How do I insulate that patio area.   Just use dow-corning batten insulation with no foil or paper.    Since it is so close to the ground, will moisture be a problem.   The floor joists are 2x10 treated.   The subfloor is adventec.   I hope the photos come through, I'm sure my wife spent a lot of time getting that all set up.

glenn kangiser

You could use vapor barrier to the sub floor - heated side.  Since there will be no access you may want to put 1/4 hardware cloth to the bottom to prevent mice etc from getting into the insulation.  Looks like you will have to do it from the top then put the subfloor.  Treated is good in this case I think if there is no way of getting clearance.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

John I am inclined to agree with Glenn( d* ) on the insulation.  Since you will not have access to install it later.  You mentioned using rigid on the patio.  You could use the rigid between the floor joist.  Less chance for the weather to hurt it as opposed to fiberglass.  Yes the Advantex is somewhat waterproof.  Not completely when it comes to the seams.  I would hate to get fiberglass in there and have water to soak it.  To install the rigid from the top just tack on 3/4" cleats at the bottom portion of the joist before you set them.  The rigid will just rest on those rather than falling straight through to the ground.

dogneck

Redoverfarm,
I thought about the rigid foam on top of the advantec, then another 1/4 plywood.   But,  I am considering your suggestion.   If I understand correctly,  cut the rigid at 12 1/4" and put in between the floor joists.  The floor joists are already in place.  (My wife didn't upload all the photos).   I could still nail cleats from the sides, then just lay in the rigid.     I guess I should have just demolished and removed that patio, I can still do that later.    Everything is just way off schedule.  But I guess when I hand dig and do everything by myself, it's not going to go fast.  Thanks.     (go to youtube and put in "clifftop"  you can get some old-time music).   

Redoverfarm

John I have been of schedule for most of my life. ;D I would think that you would have a more solid floor w/o the insulation on top of the subfloor.   

dogneck

Thanks.   I think all go with the rigid being placed down in the floor joists.  Maybe spray a little great foam around the edges.   

Redoverfarm

Sounds like a plan.