Laugh at High Gas Prices With a 282-MPG VW

Started by John_C, July 03, 2008, 08:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

And they did it without going nuts with technology.  It's very small, very light, very aerodynamic and will get to market with an affordable price tag.  It may not be the car for everyone but I, for one, am glad to see some development in this direction.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/laugh-at-high-g.html

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desdawg

Volks Wagon=Peoples Car. Came about when Hitler was in charge if I am not mistaken.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

How fitting that it should be coming up here, now. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

heh

Few realize the connection between the two families.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Obviously there are other interest keeping that car out of America--Oil companies? 

CREATIVE1

We owned a Fiat 600D back in the 60's and early 70's.  A crude little car, with an engine the size of a lawn mower when everyone went 80 on the interstates--worth your life!!! [cool]  But it got about 45 miles per gallon, and you could fit groceries in it.

On the other side of the coin, my 1988 Acura Legend, rest her sporty soul, got well over 30 MPG on the highway with a zippy 6 cylinder DOHC engine.  And emissions were always about zero across the board.

Hey, I know they can do better.   But will they?  Or will the fuel-efficient cars never make it across the pond, as they say?

Erin

QuoteI for one would be more than willing to drive a car with 30% less power for 30% more fuel efficiency...

I already do.   :)

42mpg, on avg.  Definitely not 120mpg, but at the same time, it'll haul my entire family and still have room for groceries, bags, etc. in the hatch.  And it sure didn't cost $31,750 to $47,622 :o

BTW:  Note/Update: Turns out the 282 mpg figure refers to Imperial gallons; the proper figure when converted to U.S. gallons is 235 mpg.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

peternap

Is that a Focus Erin?

I have a 2002 4 door Focus that I bought new off the lot in 2003. I paid 12,000.00 and it gets 40 MPG AVG. never had the first problem with it and never had to take it in for warranty.

Now I have a leak around the heater. I need to find that soon. No other problems though.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Erin

It's a '98 Metro.  they don't make them anymore...  :(
I bought mine used in '04 with 100K on it.  It cost me $800.   ;D

ScottA

You can save alot of gas just by slowing down. I've been cutting it back to 55-60 on the hiway and have noticed a big savings. I've also started reducing trips and trying to run all my errands at the same time etc. I've managed to cut my use by a tank a month over the past 2 months.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Erin on July 07, 2008, 06:06:26 PM
It's a '98 Metro.  they don't make them anymore...  :(
I bought mine used in '04 with 100K on it.  It cost me $800.   ;D

My dad has one of those - not sure on the year but gets around cheap.  Seems he burned a valve once.  3 cyl engine if I recall correctly.

NM_Shooter

I think that it is cool that somebody is trying to come out with a commuter vehicle for production.  For me, that wouldn't work, but it is still a good idea....

This would be a great car for city folks / high density urban areas types.  But it is a niche vehicle at best and will not appeal to a broad consumer base.

I drive a diesel F250.  16 to 18 mpg (20 on long trips at 60mph).  I have to have that truck for towing, property access, and general hauling.  For me to spend $35,000 on a two seater car that really does nothing but get good mileage (you know... limited "fun" factor like a sports car) would be a stretch. 

At $4.60 a gallon, $35,000 buys me about 7600 gallons of diesel, or at 17mpg that is almost 130,000 miles of driving.  And since I need my truck, I would have to buy maintenance and insurance on the other vehicle.  Even more expensive to own.

I applaud VW for this endeavor... it is very much a science fair experiment, but we need that sort of thing going on. 

If it would seat 4 folks, I might spend $50k on a high mileage diesel Audi though  ;)
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

I'm with you, Frank.  I wonder how that VW would haul my 4000 lb crane and GVW of 12000 lbs with tools.  I think the Metro is a bit small for me.

Erin

QuoteI drive a diesel F250.
So do I.  Note the grill directly behind the car. ;)
In fact, just last weekend, it pulled 23,000 lbs worth of concrete blocks for 150 miles... d*
But most of my miles don't require that kind of power.

For us the additional cost to license and insure the car, as well as initial purchase price, was made up after about four months of ownership.  (and that was at 2004's diesel prices...)  So far as insurance, the multi-car discount is nearly as much as the actual cost to put basic liability on that thing.

BTW, glenn, I don't know how wide you are, but my DH is 6'3" with a 40" inseam.  He finds that car quite comfortable for any trip less than about 200 miles.  (After that, the fact that the seats are cheap and lack support is the real problem.  I don't like it either!)  But it's surprising how much leg room it has.

peternap

I'm like the rest of you. Gotta have my truck, but not all the time. Local driving just eats mileage and I rarely haul anything locally. The Whizzer works wonderfully for that and no insurance or tags.

The XL 600 is fine for 20 to 60 mile trips.

The focus is perfect for trips, shopping etc. The Landrover............It's my wifes, ???

The ATV's get great mileage, they're always in the shop >:(

The Tractor earns it's keep c*

glenn kangiser

I'd probably fit the car fine, Erin - only about 5-10 if I stretch - 40" inseam -- I'd be walking on 11 inches -- they'd probably call me a Nebraska sand blower if I was back there.

My dad is a bit taller than me.

I'd like the car OK for running around if it had A/C but there are so many times I need one thing or the other from the Mighty Dodge Truck  I don't know if I'd use it enough.  Diesel costs make me think about it though.

NM_Shooter

My fishing car is a '97 4Runner... 25mpg, and 4wd when needed.  I have aDRZ400 too, but I like having more protection than that. 

Have you folks heard about the $2000 Korean car?  I wonder what sort of mileage that gets.  I suspect that production of that vehicle is going to put an even bigger demand on oil....
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

I'm about ready to pull the old 26 Dodge out and set it up to run on wood again.

Redoverfarm

Frank I am like you and my F-250.  Couldn't survive without it.  Had considered trading for a newer model but The new 6.3 ltr was a joke with a million problems.  They changed for 6 ltr now but I don't need it.  My 7.3 is a proven and I will hope to get 250,000.  But like you I wonder at now $4.90 gallon.  But most trips are short with occasion supply run.  Oh did I forget to say it has to have an 8 ft bed.

Peter I would be lost without my tractor.   Just like the pocket on your shirt.  Never figured out what my Per hour mileage is but it's pretty good.  Deutz was a good tractor. Not imported now but made new everyday in Germany. Air cooled .  I have toiled with the idea of a oil pan magnet heater when it drops below 0. As for any others the wife has a Volvo which gets about 26-30 MPG if she slows it down to the speed limit.  Draw back of mountain life is that ours has to be 4WD or AWD which kills the MPG.