Don's Book Corner

Started by MountainDon, December 12, 2007, 12:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I am a big reader with varied interests. I don't buy very many books though. I am a regular user of my local public library. Their catalog is online searchable, making it easy to order a book. They email back when it's available for pickup.

Anyhow I found this book, Bunion Derby, on the new books shelf. It's about a cross country race, Los Angeles to New York City in 1928. A footrace! I'd never heard of the race before. I'm up to the run across the mojave. I simply can't imagine doing that. Anyhow, an interesting read so far. Maybe someone will find it interesting as well.

Feel free to contribute your own book ideas/thoughts.

Oprah's got nothing on us.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Don, I've been meaning to post a reply for a few days, but just haven't gotten around to it.  My most recent read other than a bag of Capper's that my grandma sent up with my mom was Living on a Few Acres.  I found it on a shelf at Grandma's house a while back and asked if I could borrow it, and she told me just to take it and keep it.  I used to read a lot more than I do now, but with the kids keeping me running I don't get to read as much as usual.  I'm also halfway through Homebirth (timely matter.)  Bunion Derby sounds interesting... I read a book about a trip across Africa a few years ago (at the moment I can't remember the title) that was really entertaining as well as enlightening.  I laughed out loud several times and would have to reread passages out loud to my husband.  After going to India a few summers ago, I could really empathize with the guys in the book and their misadventures and the culture shock.

MaineRhino

One of my recent reads has been A Year in the Maine Woods, by Bernd Heinrich.  Great book on solo cabin living, written by a professor at U of Vermont. Lots of technical detail and drawings as well. He also raised a raven which lived and traveled with him.

Another good one which I read a while back is God's Debris by Scott Adams. He also writes the Dilbert comics.

Sassy

I love to read!   Just read Tess of the D'Urbervilles sad story - Glenn & I were at a lady's house looking at some remodeling work she had - I was admiring her collection of books - she said she had just read that & offered to let me read it.  It's by Thomas Hardy.

I also read God & Gov't by Chuck Colson, The Oath by Peretti, The Apocalypse Code by Hank Hannegraaf, & right now have 2 books going Heaven & Dominion both by Randy Alcorn.  Oh, also read Circle of Intrigue by Texe Marrs
So between reading books & stuff on the internet, you are probably wondering if I have a life  c*  I manage to get a few things done once-in-awhile   :)

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Quote from: Sassy on December 13, 2007, 10:59:31 PM
Just read Tess of the D'Urbervilles sad story - .....  Thomas Hardy.

I haven't read any Hardy since probably High School. I know I read Tess but haven't the foggiest recollection.  :-[
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Last book I read was the John Deere Repair Manual.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Sassy, I used to listen to Hank on the radio in Oklahoma pretty often.  He came on during the drive home from work, and later when I was staying at home, during the time I was cooking dinner.   I like him and Alcorn.  I also went through a big Peretti phase in college...  for a while there I read everything he wrote and then I bought the Oath when it came out, but I never finished it.  I don't know why.  Probably because each semester there at the last I had 15-20 books for required reading each semester.  Anyway, I put it down and never got around to finishing it.  Every now and then I'll go on a Jane Austen thing where I'll read Pride and Prejudice or something cover to cover for a few days, but generally I don't read much fiction at all anymore, other than kids' books. 
A while back, I read Joan Dye Gussow's This Organic Life, which I really enjoyed.  I don't think I've ever both laughed and cried reading a gardening book before that.  Also within the last 6 months to a year I read Phillip Yancey's What's so Amazing about Grace and Soul Survivor: How Thirteen Unlikely Mentors Helped my Faith Survive the Church.  Both were very good reads.  I finished both of them within just a couple of days. 

williet

Latest book...

The Myth of a Christian Nation, by Gregory A. Boyd, published by Zondervan.

This is a wonderful book that examines the "It's a Nation founded on the teachings of God" myth. A good read for anyone, Christian or Pagan.

Statement of the book : The path through politics is NOT the path to God......Food for thought.

sparks

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 13, 2007, 11:18:47 PM
Last book I read was the John Deere Repair Manual.
I am lmao. That is the funniest deadpan remark I've seen in a long time. Tears running down my face.....and still laughing!!!!   Sparks .....
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

Sorry Sparks, that was true.  Last book before that was The 1999 Dodge Repair manual. -- I even have it on CD -- searchable --printable. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Williet -- I don't know what they have to say but I bet I'll agree with it.

These hypocrites claiming they are being guided by god are doing nothing but soiling his reputation.  Hopefully they will get theirs.

MountainDon

Re shop manuals...  Those are important books, costly too if you buy the real McCoy, not the diluted down to nothing Hayne's, etc. . Seems to me I paid $80 or so for my Cherokee shop manual. About as bad as buying a building codes book.  I don't know if I'd call it a reading book tho'.  ???   ;D

glenn kangiser

Yup - around $80 or 90 - Nothing like the real thing.  That is how I became head mechanic at Dodge -- I'd just read the book and go do it.  When the original head mechanic quit I was it -- 18 years old --.

Most of the Haynes books are not too good.  Chilton a little better but now printed by Haynes.

It's gotta be reading a book -- isn't it? hmm

I don't read novels anymore because I can't see spending my time reading things that didn't really happen.  so...I guess I'm an article kind of guy.

MountainDon

I don't read much fiction/novels. I like history, true stories, and the like.

desdawg

I like a mix. All work and no play................
I can only read so much technical material and then I need to be entertained. So I usually have a little of both going somewhere.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

John Raabe

Oh, this is fun. :D

I'll have to post some of my favorites.

Right now I'm (finally) finishing Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". I'm on page 1012 and she is finally getting around to the guiding philosophy that is the important heritage of this book from the early 50's that STILL sells 400,000 copies a year.

(I had to find out why.)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Haven't read the book but the name, Atlas Shrugged always reminds me of

God Shuffled His Feet

desdawg

Quote from: John Raabe on December 15, 2007, 06:25:25 PM
Oh, this is fun. :D

I'll have to post some of my favorites.

Right now I'm (finally) finishing Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". I'm on page 1012 and she is finally getting around to the guiding philosophy that is the important heritage of this book from the early 50's that STILL sells 400,000 copies a year.

(I had to find out why.)
You have passed me up John. I would like to find a copy of the Fountainhead and read that again as well.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

I finished Bunion Derby. The tortoise won. One of the guys who ran steady unspectacular day runs for the most part. Others ( the rabbits) who made remarkable daily runs for a day or two here and there, put themselves out of the game with injuries and plain wearing themselves out prematurely. The winner got $25K (1928 dollars). Some 3400 miles in 84 days.

John Raabe

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 16, 2007, 02:07:19 AM
Haven't read the book but the name, Atlas Shrugged always reminds me of

God Shuffled His Feet

Neat video... at the end it goes into a very interesting interactive menu of linked YouTube music and game videos. I hadn't seen that before.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Yeah - it just started doing that when you watch full screen.  A bit frustrating to me sometimes but I keep trying.

I really like the Crash Test Dummies.

MountainDon

New book started tonight. Country Matters by Michael Korda. "The pleasures and tribulations of moving from a big city (NYC) to an old country farmhouse (90 N. of NYC)."

It's a mostly amusing tale of the acquisition of an 1800's farm house. Whereas some folks go read fiction/novels for some escape, this is the sort of true life story I prefer. Nothing too deep, nothing that needs interpreting. Just fun. There are some flaws but so far enjoyable. Like I said not a great literary work, but better than TV and a lot of "popular culture". Up to page 85 out of 300 or so.

MountainDon

I started this book a couple days ago.

Trapped by Karen Tintori, the grand-daughter of one of the surviving miners in a 1909 coal mine fire disaster in Cherry, Illinois. Makes me glad I wasn't a coal miner back then. Or now. In it's day it was rated as probably the safest mine in the country. Over 200 died, 20 were rescued from the mine a week after the initial fire.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've made more headway in reading Homebirth by Shiela Kitzinger... however, the thing that somewhat perplexes me is how she keeps talking about the decision to have your baby at home as if it were a political decision rather than just because it is what you think is best for the baby. She keeps talking about how men have dominated obstetrics because they want to control women, and I just don't think that is the case at all... most doctors aren't in the business to control/dominate/intimidate anyone, I don't think.  They're either doing it because it is what they love or for the money, but I seriously doubt a power trip is anyone's main motivation, male or female.  The doctor who delivered both of my girls (a woman OB) was good-hearted even if she did intervene when I don't think it was necessary.  If I were to have this baby at home, it would be because I want to avoid unnecessary interventions that are potentially harmful and because I would be more comfortable, not because I want to spite anyone.  Anyway, the reason for reading it is because I feel like I'd best be prepared to deliver by myself just in case we do move before my due date and I can't find a doctor in time. I feel like she kind of paints men with one big, hostile brush, and have a hard time reconciling how she could so hate male doctors and at the same time think it is OK for men to attend the birth of their kids.  Weird.  I like men even if I wouldn't feel very comfortable with one delivering my baby, and wouldn't trade the experience of having my husband there during the births of our kids. 

MountainDon

I believe that people become doctors because they want to help people. The fact that they might make some good money sometime down the road... after all the schooling, after the terrible hours as an intern, after paying back all the money most will have as loans, etc. That nonsense about power trips and all is a load of BS. Sounds like the author has an agenda regarding male doctors. OMMV

I hope you don't have to experience the birth on your own, but in any case we'll say a prayer as well as offer hope. Speaking as a Dad who was there for our son's birth, emergency C-section and all, it's good to have hospitals available. You never know what may happen. We, including the OB/GYN, thought it would be a normal delivery. It wasn't.