Gun Free Zones are Dangerous

Started by MountainDon, December 07, 2007, 04:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

That's a hot topic here Don. I strongly believe in property owner rights. If a malls owner wants to post it "No weapons allowed" I feel he has the right. I refuse to patronize him though. If I have to go there for some reason. I ignore the rule and discretely carry anyway....but I prefer to stay legal and just not go there.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on December 07, 2007, 05:40:47 PM
If a malls owner wants to post it "No weapons allowed" I feel he has the right.
Absolutely! Just as you have right on your own property and others should respect those.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

How about concealed weapons permits.  Thoughts?  I wear mine visibly when out prospecting, but still don't want to leave it laying around the car in view when in town.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I'm all for concealed carry. A posted notice stating No Firearms Allowed over rides the concealed carry law here in NM at least.

It's interesting in that last year a guy was knifing his ex-wife in a Wal-Mart here. A guy with a concealed carry weapon told him to stop and shot him dead when the knifer turned on him. The Wal-Mart has a notice posted  at the entrances with the No Firearms notice. Nothing was ever mentioned about that. The shooter received a job well done pat on the back. Of course there was the usual "you're better off not to do this" but nothing ever came of it as far as I know.

As far as visible carry goes, that's okay here too, except for posted areas. Pretty sure to gather more attention than you want if you wore your gun into the Kroger's or wherever.  :o I keep mine under a seat. Maybe not the best thing but....

peternap

Virginia is a shall issue state Glenn. Basically, if you can legally own a gun the courts have to issue a permit.

I still don't like asking permission to do something that I feel I have a right to do. Open carry is legal for anyone that can own a firearm....period. Some localities passed ordinances that restricted so the gun owners put pressure on the General Assembly and they fully preempted the locals. They can no longer control any part of gun carry.

I open carry quite often. I also carry an air taser almost everywhere, concealed. It gives me options. There is a lot of space between  walk away and shoot someone and the taser fills a good part of that void.

I have tested the tasers. The training people call it "riding the lightening" the maximun range is 15 feet and 7 is optimal. At 7 feet, I was down...couldn't move and could only make sounds, not talk. Even after the charge stopped, I was disoriented. They're effective. It won't replace a gun but is a real good companion to it.

Anyway, too many people concentrate on target practice at 25 yards. 10 feet should be where they are shooting and practice drawing and shooting until it's second nature. Things happen fast!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on December 07, 2007, 06:22:45 PM
10 feet should be where they are shooting and practice drawing and shooting until it's second nature.
Exactly right. That's why I don't see the 2" barrel as a detriment.