Whidbey Island Woodworkers M.O.M

Started by glenn kangiser, October 04, 2007, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Member Of the Month of the Whidbey Island Woodworkers Guild.  Guess Who? :-?

Of Course --- our PEG, sometimes known by his full name of Paul E. Girouard. :)

We already know he's the best but looks like the Guild figured it out too.

Due to size, (5.5mb)I was only able to get this in here as JPEG files -- pictures so did the pertinent parts.  If you would like a whole copy of the PDF, I think PEG or I could send it to you.

Let's see if this is readable. :)

Congrats, PEG - you deserve it.  Also our number one member assistance and knowledge base here and he does it just because he is a great guy and wants to help people learn.  Thanks PEG. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Thanks Glenn  8-)  You sure do know your way around a computer 8-)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Congrats to PEG.  ::)

I went to the recent show put on by the local craftspeople/artists of this organization. We have a heap of very skilled folks on this pile of gravel in Puget Sound! :). I met PEG there last year but he wasn't there this year :'(.

Each year this show tends to move more towards the artistic and fantastic and away from the straightforward and practical.

Thankfully for us, PEG's work is more towards the latter. He shows us how to do a craftsman-like job on the things that have a real use!

PEG's ability to show and explain, and his willingness to share his experiences here on the forum, leaves a trail, an educational legacy to owner-builders and eager new wood workers of the future. He is helping people who don't yet know what the need to know! :-?

Here's to future craftsfolk, and here's to [highlight]PEG![/highlight]  ::) 8-) :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

StinkerBell

Whidbey isn't so far from me. But alas I would stick out like a newbie.

PEG688

I was to busy this year for a speculative piece, my tables from last year are still for sale :'( .

Next year , maybe , I'll get the display stand I have drawn up built , who knows. :-/

With my wife having just had surgery and a few other things I never did get down to the show  :( Lifes to short or I'm to busy  :-/

Heres the guilds web link , anyone / everyone is welcome to come to the meetings,   we always want new woodworkers / craft people,  :) adds interest to the overall group.  8-)

http://www.whidbeywoodworkers.com/

Woodsrule

Hey PEG, I read the article that was posted and saw that you grew up in Burrillville.  I have lived there for 17 years now (I'm a N.H. transplant) and if you haven't been back lately, would be surprised to see the amount of new housing and other building going on.  Specifically, the mill across from Jesse Smith Library is now sharing space with our new (12 million, ouch!) library that is nearing completion. If you are interested in any other hometown news let me know and I would be happy to oblige.  Take care, Tony

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

QuoteHey PEG, I read the article that was posted and saw that you grew up in Burrillville.  I have lived there for 17 years now (I'm a N.H. transplant) and if you haven't been back lately, would be surprised to see the amount of new housing and other building going on.  Specifically, the mill across from Jesse Smith Library is now sharing space with our new (12 million, ouch!) library that is nearing completion. If you are interested in any other hometown news let me know and I would be happy to oblige.  Take care, Tony

Sure I would  :) My one sister is on the town council you can figure out which one she is as my log in , intials where  her idea they match her nick name.  So she named me , in a way picked, she  names that spelled PEG ;D The things parents let their kids do eh ::)

I grew up on School st , the house on the hill to the right of the Callahan school ball fields , the one where big cement oil tank holders are,  by the swamp. My grandparents  lived in the house right beside the field.

Quite a unique set of houses in a way the only two that may ever be on that side of the street with the cementary, swamp , two houses then the school property.    

I understand they drilled some  water wells out in that field by the river.  

I had heard about the Stillwater mill project , I can remember as a kid when they'd pump die into the river from that mill :o The water run what ever color they where doing , WTH where they thinking?

Used to skate on that Mill  pond and mostly Fish pond down or Mowry st. my best buddy lived down thier right across from Fish pond.

It was great place to grow up 50 years ago.  

Where do you live in town? Are you a Harrisvlle resident?

12 Million :o :o Is the Levy foudation kicking in money for that?  Old man levy  still helping out the town from what Peggy said , even from the grave.

peter nap

Congratulations PEG!

Now......In my shop, over my shaper table, I have a picture of Elmer Keith and another of NORM  ;)

When are you going to start sending out autographed pictures so I can add yours? ::)

Woodsrule

PEG, I believe your sister must be Mrs.Dudley, am I correct?  I know exactly what house you described on Callahan School Street.  They did sink some wells there due to the contaminated wells up on Main Street being closed down. We had quite a time with those a few years ago.  I'm glad my private well tested clean.  I live about one mile from where you grew up.  I bought an old (127 yrs) farmhouse on the corner of Whipple and North.  A few years ago one of the senior members of town asked me if I lived in the Chauvin house.  I told him that he was correct, but since I'm paying the mortgage, it's now called the Wood house ;D.  The Stillwater Mill project is coming along nicely and we did get some relief from various grants and foundations, but the bulk of the cost will come from the taxpayers.  

I know where you are talking about on Mowry Street.  That street has retained some of its character and some friends of mine live there now.  Do you remember your friend's last name?  Friends of mine are the Boisverts and I believe their family has been there for generations. One last thing, I'm glad that mills don't dump dye (die?) into the rivers anymore.  The Clear river runs behind the new project and it is full of fish and a big kayak race starts at the falls every year. The town has gotten bigger in the past 17 years, but still retains its small town feel.  It has been a nice place to raise my children ( 19 & 23)  Take care and keep up the woodworking.  I do rustic pieces and may post some pics sometime if I can figure out how.  Tony :)

PEG688

Woodie I sent you a PM .

Peter I didn't send you a photo ;D , autographed or other wise  ::),   BTW who is  Elmer Kieth? Norm I heard of but not ole Elmer  :-/

peter nap

I'm shocked! :o
Elmer, may he rest in peace, was the inventor of and king of the 44 magnum and the author of "Hell, I was there"