Tools Necessary to Start Building?

Started by Miedrn, June 22, 2006, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I used to use Honda Generators for jobsite power.  While they were quiet, I never did think they lasted as long as they should for what they cost.  Kohlers are still available in welders, and welders are a very good value for the money spent for a generator as many have 10000 watts power in the Miller models as well as smaller models that last very well -- and you can weld with them too (If you ever could before --that is). :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

Good filler to get to $25 for free shipping on other tools:
McGuire Nicholas 3007 3 Compartment Storage Stacker in Yellow
Enter code JUNETOOL to take off 20% $1.50 each
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

PEG688

#1: Go to the library, and study up.  Almost every thing I know how to do came from reading, and then trying.  Keep in mind, that you will always fail, but don't let it discourage you.  Everybody fails, always, nothing ever gets done perfectly.

#2:  If anyone ever tells you that they do things perfectly, or that you did something perfectly, fire them immediately!  HAHA.  Just kidding...sorry bout that.

#3:  Seriously though, I am a pretty darned good carpenter, and if I don't fail every day I go to work, that means I didn't do anything!  Would you agree PEG?

#1: Reading about it helps , also will help you ask more informed questions , I think  :-/ Sometime we take 5 post to get to the real question in this format of typing at each other  ;D So reading / research about a potentail problem might result in a more , ah , better question.

Jees I can't even explane  may answer ::) No question is "Bad" just some are easier to answer as the right info is presented to begin the answer.

#2: That's right ;D

#3: My Granddad used to say " A man who never made a mistake , never made anything!"

Nicest , wisest man I've ever known  :)

I missed your/ (this)  post till this AM Hobbiest. 8-) Wasn't ignoring ya , all most a mistake , EH :o  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

#1:Thanks for the tips.

#2:  There is so much I don't know and sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing thinking I can do this. Still, I know there are others that have so it's encouraging.

#3:  How do I try a hammer out in the store in a way that I'll know if it's right for me? It may sound like a stupid question and I'll have to admit, it does even to me!

#4:  I was wondering what I could practice on and saw horses (as my Father used to call them) sound like a good place to start. Maybe I better review fractions too!

#5:  I use algebra in my job.......but haven't used fractions since high school! :)

#1: It's what we do :) You have to do the real work ;)

#2: Don't dwell on the whole task , break it into smaller chunks . You don't need all the tools right away start with the basic's , nail apron , hammer , tape , utility knife , linemen plyer, puddy knife (small prying, light scraping , etc ), multly tip screw driver with assorted tips , 1" chisel (for again prying , wedging ) the one I carry in my nail bags is not a sharp chisel it just for all sorts of uses , pulling staples out of lumber , pry it up and out or use the linemen plyers to pull it once you pry it up , so that chesil is more multi use , if I need a sharp chisel I go get the one/ ones I need. Start small, build up  ;)

#3: Hammers one of those things you should start at the thrift/ hock shops looking at. You can buy six for the price of one , decide which will fit you best, Then bring the other 6 to the habitat build , and scatter / leave them around to get rid of them  ;D They'll be gone at the end of the day ;)

In fact most of the "nail bag tools " could MTL be found at the thrift / hock shop .  
 Don't be afraid to go in one , unless you live a a big city and lots of shaddy types are hanging around your local hock shop.

Borrow your sons car , so your nurse freainds won't think your hocking "Your goods " Instead of buying stuff ;D  

#4:  See this thread : http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148446967

Gotta start some where , IMO this is a good a place as any ;)

#5 Down to 16th , although 1/8" tolerance is excetable  ;)

They sell tapes for dumbies with all the little lines anotated , I wouldn't recommend one as it's  just a "crutch" you don't really need.

But maybe for a first tape it would help  ::) :-/ 8-)

G/L , PEG

Amanda_931

Not much use at all for framing, but a folding extension rule is my weapon of choice for cutting things up to a bit over 6 feet.  Especially for things like cutting something to fit an inside measurement.  This folding rule (with or without the extension, which you really do want) is what that pocket in carpenter's jeans or overalls is supposed to be for.  If one won't fit the pocket, the garments are phony, IMHO.  Even today, when not too many people use them. ;)  If you get one, keep the hinges on the folding part oiled.

found the picture here.  Lee Valley and Garrett Wade also have them, but they aren't real common any more.  And, especially for the Starrett brand, that's probably not a bad price.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12018

Sassy

Amanda, that ruler brings back a lot of memories.  My dad always had one & when I was real little I used to try to open it all the time... not always successfully, I think I might have broken a couple...  :-/
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

DailyTool

I just thought I would chime in here and let you guys know that Amazon is having a huge sale for just this weekend when you use a coupon code. It gives you 20% off of a ton of tool and hardware items. We found quite a few deals!

http://www.dailytool.com/index.php/hot-coupon-20-percent-off-amazon-tools-and-hardware/

Miedrn

#1: Reading about it helps , also will help you ask more informed questions , I think  :-/ Sometime we take 5 post to get to the real question in this format of typing at each other  ;D So reading / research about a potentail problem might result in a more , ah , better question.

So - let me ask ya! Which question in particular do you think was dumb or not exactly clear? The one about the tools?........Sorry, couldn't think of another way to ask.

Maybe the one about the hammer? ......... Don't know what to tell ya. If I wasn't embarrassed asking, I don't see where the problem lies. I also noticed you gave me some pretty good suggestions.

Maybe the one about the plans? I suppose I could wait until I'm a little more experienced to ask but honestly, since I assumed others here started out as inexperienced as I am, I didn't forsee a problem.

I'll take knowledge where ever I find it and unfortunately, there aren't many forums for new owner-builders with practical information. When I visited this website before, I didn't think I'd be doing this MYSELF........times change, circumstances change.

Thanks for your posts and suggestions. If in the future, posts seems ignorant to you, realize that I am totally ignorant when it comes to building anything. DETERMINED.......but ignorant.

Feel free to ignore them. When I start not getting answers, then I'll adjust what I'm doing.

glenn kangiser

Since we are unable to ask a direct question to clarify a thing or question we don't understand it sometimes takes a bit of time  for us to get the exact meaning or bit of information back that you want.  Keep asking -- you will get an answer- there are no dumb questions.   Sometimes things that are very plain to you are not plain to us --- like why we should get up and run when the doctor asks the nurse to bring the sigmoidoscope. :-/

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Miedrn

LOL........most of you sure catch on fast once you realize it though! :)

jonsey/downunder

Hi  MIEDRN,
I'm pretty sure Pegg is not getting at you in that quote. I would think he is suggesting that books are another good way of finding information. Sometimes the threads drift around a bit on this forum and questions and answers get muddled. I think the second part of Peggs quote is referring to that. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked, and I see my old Mate Glenn has got there before me. ;D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

I'm not one to be left...... behind.   :-/

Miedrn

To be honest, I guess curiosity gets the best of me at times. It's served me well for the most part........gotten into trouble a time or two over it too though.

I'm not one to wait on anyone. I realize there will be somethings I shouldn't do myself and probably more that I won't be able to handle but I want to know as much as I can so that I'll be capable of doing as much as I can. Is that clear enough? LOL

The answers to my questions bring up more questions........and you're right. I'll learn by reading and doing but I don't have anyone to bounce things off of.

This forum has also made me think I might be able to handle it. Things I wouldn't have considered before are now becomming a possibility and because of that, I have many, many questions. So hang on to your hats, there's probably more where this came from! :)

Miedrn

No, me either Glenn! :)

Sorry........I WAS just a little pi$$ed when I read that.........but could have been my ignorance showing again.

This is one time when I have no problem admitting just how ignorant I am!

jonsey/downunder

Fire away, we like questions almost as much as we like photos. ;D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

Most of the time here you are going to find that things that may upset you here were not meant that way at all --- everyone here is real helpful and has good intentions ---I run the rest off.  Just the 2D media of the net that makes it a bit hard to communicate sometimes.

Note that many of us here are used to dealing with nurses -- they scare the hell out of me-- especially the big burly male ones like our friend, Jim   (I wish he'd quit making us wear dresses at his parties)  ---I'm married to one -(Sassy- not Jim)- so is my mate, Jonesy and so is John - PEG's sister is a nurse I think -- so keep asking --we'll tread lightly. :)

jonsey/downunder

And you just gotta add a bobcat to the list. ;D

glenn kangiser

There goes my mate, Jonesy --trying to get the nurses to post photos again. :)  or maybe he meant project photos. :-/

Must have been a mis-communication again because Mrs. Goanna Jonesy is only 3 feet tall and if she hit him with that frying pan----I don't even want to think about it. :-/

glenn kangiser

I thought it was a given that no construction is to be attempted without a Bobcat.

This is the girl of my dreams.

jonsey/downunder

We are still OK mate, she hasn't found it yet and I've forgotten where I hid it, which is a shame because I'm really hanging out for some beacon and eggs. ;D

glenn kangiser

If anybody has any ideas of putting a nice Bobcat in their tool box, heres what it can do for you.

Yesterday I loaded it up on the trailer - fueled it and the truck - drove to a jobsite - unloaded - moved a few piles of dirt from 20 to 50 feet -- about 100 cubic yards of it to get room for laying out a foundation - cleaned out about 120 feet x 12' wide of L shaped basement - cleand off a drain field are down the mountainside - filled ditches in around a broke down excavator - graded the entire surface area around the jobsite - graded about 300 feet of road - loaded up and went home - another hour.  Any smaller model would have taken about twice as long due to capacities but really beats many other ways of jobsite prep.  All in about 8 hours.

Tons of other attachments too. :)

JRR

Speaking of Bobcats:  Which is the choice brand/model of skid-steers of you folks in-the-know?  ... the task being housebuilding.

(I've never owned one or used one, but think I "need" one ... and Dearest says she's willing for me to spend the money.)

"Bobcats" seem to be the first ones available years ago, but now there are so many brands and models.

How do you feel about buying one used? ... too risky (especially for a newbe?)?

What would you buy if cost were no problem?  .... and what would you buy for the "best value"?

NOTE:  THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN MOVED : http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1151251332

jonsey/downunder

Books could be classed as tools and a couple that are worth having, are, "Working Alone" by John Corral and "Framing Roofs", Tauntons. The working alone book as well as giving tips for ways of working by yourself also has information on how to set out foundations and other jobs. The roofing book has good simple explanations for roof set out and building. Both these books are available at Amazon through John's link.
 http://www.countryplans.com/books.html

PEG688

Sorry I wasn't pickin on ya really :'( , that was the "smiley part 'Glenn and Joneys Thanks guys  :)for covering for me .

That statement, : the one about "good questions" wasn't about any of your post  MIEDRN  :-[  

Jee Amanda's post here: http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1151161430 was timely  :) Thanks Amanda  :)

Questions are earier to answer , if all the variables / situations/ infomation is included with the questions was my point .

Realizing some times a person might "think" they are providing to much info seldom is that the case.

I'm glad you liked most of my advise ;)

BTW some folks think "my point" is the top"O " me head ;D

PEG688

like why we should get up and run when the doctor asks the nurse to bring the sigmoidoscope. :-/

That doesn't sound good  :o :o

I know they'd want to stick that thing :-/ (sigmoidoscope )  :-? :-/some place , and I bet the sun NEVER shine's there :o