Orwell's 1984 is here!

Started by Sassy(Guest), May 31, 2006, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

That sounds like a real project.  I've always had dogs until the last few years.  I'm away too much now for a week at a time.  Rover can't go.

A new bit of topic stuff-- here is something everyone probably knows by now--- Big Brother is watching.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/04/AR2007010401702_pf.html

QuoteA "signing statement" attached to a postal reform bill on Dec. 20 says the Bush administration "shall construe" a section of that law to allow the opening of sealed mail to protect life, guard against hazardous materials or conduct "physical searches specifically authorized by law for foreign intelligence collection."

White House and U.S. Postal Service officials said the statement was not intended to expand the powers of the executive branch but merely to clarify existing ones for extreme cases.

"The administration is playing games about warrants," Martin said. "If they are not claiming new powers, then why did they need to issue a signing statement?"

Amanda_931

Someplace it was published that the law that the signing statement was attached to specifically prohibited warrantless mail opening.

(sigh)

Of my five dogs, I only went looking for one.  I was very happy having only one dog.  

In Nashville, there was a period of about a year in which a cat a month appeared--always at that stage between kitten and cat when those who say "I LOVE kittens but I hate CATS, this thing is becoming a cat" so they decide that--he--or she--will have to go.  After a while I didn't even bother trying to find homes for them.  Some of them were pretty strange.  Including the only cat I've ever had who made up games to play with me.

Amanda_931

Yeah, that was sitting in my mailbox when I came on-line tonight.

That and the story with no link, and I'm having trouble finding it, that somebody (possibly a person planted as a congressional staffer by the Justice Department) had slipped a clause into the continuation of the Patriot Act that gives the Executive Department--not the Judiciary--the ability to appoint federal judges permanently.  It may be taken away.

But something like the reading brain scans for intention is what will allow the para- and quadra-plegic to walk.  Unless they are afflicted like an acquaintance--her bones started fusing together when she was a child.

Not sure there is any benign reason at all for allowing the Justice Department to appoint federal judges.

I did find this, from the Nostradamus Online's Free 4th chapter of the book they want you to buy--don't know if that interpretation is really supposed to refer to neurological work   :-/:

QuoteAntichrist profits from radar research in Europe
(Century I, Quatrain 6)

Research on a more sophisticated type of radar and sensing devices will give greater information to the operator, i.e. an airplane pilot. But the first experiments with the technology will fail in a disastrous accident, when the vibrations emitted by the device cause the chassis of the plane to become weakened and dangerous. The scientists involved with the research will have to temporarily abandon the research because of diplomatic breakdowns, the threat of war, etc.

This will take place before the Antichrist comes to full power. It will happen in Europe at the time the Antichrist is strengthening his base of power in the Middle East. The devices are currently under development but have not been tested yet. But this is another historical event that will permit the Antichrist to take over Europe.

Sassy

"Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right
of the people peaceably to . . . petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
– The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Congressman Waxman advances grave new threat
to citizens' 'right to petition' government officials

http://www.nrlc.org/FreeSpeech/WaxmanDavisArticle.pdf

Amanda_931

That might be overkill, but it would be nice to know if--and which--lobbying organization was behind the latest statement of our congresswoman.

And who was funding them, and by how much.

The organization that put out that .pdf is, by the way, anti-stem-cell research, and really wanted to save Terry Schiavo (and probably keep her on medicare).

Sassy

Here is a link to an article on stem cell research - focusing on adult stem cells & the success that has been achieved on several fronts, whereas, there have been no successful results with embryonic stem cells.  You may not like the source & I don't always agree with their politics but I wonder why there is no publicity for the adult stem cell successes or even the umbilical cord stem cells...  :-/

http://www.citizenlink.org/FOSI/bioethics/cloning/A000002271.cfm

Sassy

George Orwell, Big Brother is watching your house!

According to the latest studies, Britain has a staggering 4.2million CCTV cameras - one for every 14 people in the country - and 20 per cent of cameras globally. It has been calculated that each person is caught on camera an average of 300 times daily.

Use of spy cameras in modern-day Britain is now a chilling mirror image of Orwell's fictional world, created in the post-war Forties in a fourth-floor flat overlooking Canonbury Square in Islington, North London.

On the wall outside his former residence - flat number 27B - where Orwell lived until his death in 1950, an historical plaque commemorates the anti-authoritarian author. And within 200 yards of the flat, there are 32 CCTV cameras, scanning every move.  go to link for rest of story...  :-/

http://jkn.com/View?j=788764.931880553073

glenn-k

Cool -- I guess I may have gotten someones attention.

Look what I found on my computer.  Big Brother?

Is that you?

QuoteESurveiller is an internet monitoring and surveillance spyware software. This program records keystrokes and mouse clicks, instant message conversations, Internet activity and applications used. It stores this information in log files on the hard drive or optionally it can email them to a predetermined address.

MountainDon

At least you did discover the menace!   :)  If you don't mind, how did the discovery come about; routine sys check, something made you look deeper, etc. ??  I've mostly been lucky I think

glenn-k

Computer has been locking up lately.  

This may have been a Microsoft installed one from a failed update but not much way to know for sure.

I bought a new Spyware detection program and it found it on a deep scan.

It's called Uniblue SpyEraser.  It found 19226 potential threats/pieces of spyware etc.  Wild Tangent is a gaming program that HP loads on the system I think -- It had thousands of threats.

The ESurveiller was a bit of a surprise though.

Note that this happened running Norton Firewall and Security.  Must have slipped in with a downloaded file somehow.  Funny Norton didn't find it.

glenn-k

Jonesy sent me some info from Symantec that shows that this was a manual install.

As near as I can tell the only place it may have come from is Microsoft on an approved automatic install so it still indicates what can be done over the net without our knowledge.  It shows as running entirely in stealth mode - no indication it is there unless some other utility finds it..

MountainDon

Mysterious stuff. I googled and found you can D/L the software and do nefarious things with it yourself

http://www.download3k.com/e-Surveiller-spy-software/Download-Free-esurveiller.exe.html

glenn-k

Yup - I guess you can set it up hidden on anyones computer and have it send you the info via e-mail.  

Shoot --- it's getting to where I barely have enough time to read the forum let alone waht's on someone else's computer.  I guess it's more for corporate types who don't trust their peers.

glenn-k

Looks like no new cars for me. :-/

MountainDon

Well, you do have that old Dodge....  ::) It's pre everything.

glenn-k

I need to fix a couple things then I could drive it.  Sometimes - seldom happens but, when I get behind an old car, I just breath deeply and inhale the fumes and remember the old days. :)

MountainDon

You've got the smell right! I can always tell when there's an older out of tune carburetted vehicle ahead.  :'(

glenn-k

The difference between you and me, Don is that I like the smell. ;D

Amanda_931

Interesting.  and the comments to the stories have been pretty much all over the place.

glenn kangiser

Looks like big brother has been sneaking in the back door on us for years.

QuoteThe BIG controversy of 1946 ........ the new rule ....... ya gotta tattoo your goat.
(letter to the editor The Goat World - October 1946):

Dear Sir, I have just read Mrs. John's letter in the GOAT WORLD about tattooing. We are absolutely opposed to it. Is it not enough to torture the kids by dehorning and disbudding?

We are in full accord with Mrs. John's letter, and anything that can be done to alter this rule has our wholehearted support. I am speaking only for ourselves, not for our association, the San Joaquin Valley Dairy Goat Association, but this association has gone on record as opposing tattooing. Mrs. Archie C. Berry, Clovis, Calif.

(some excerpts from letters to The Goat World - May to November 1946):

"the only good that tattooing does is that it makes business for those that have tattooing merchandise for sale"

"It seems to me that it would be better to give it ( tattooing) a fair and unprejudiced trial until it proves its value, or the reverse."

"I will not tattoo any of my goats"
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn-k

You may remember I mentioned the police officer I knew telling me of the gun and dope in the trunk in case of a botched raid.  Well -- here it is -- current events - the police state at its finest.

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/51151/