Back Yard Pavilion

Started by twychopen, May 25, 2016, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twychopen

Hello everyone! I have done remodelling construction, and flipped a house so I have some know how. My wife and I have a good sized back yard and want to build a timber frame pavilion that is 20'x24'. I have a structural engineer drawing up the specific plans, but it has been more than 4 weeks with nothing back from him  ??? . I want to get started and my searching for timber frame connectors brought me here. My plan is to use 3' deep concrete footings with post to concrete frame anchors (something like simpson strong or similar) with 6" x 6" columns. I am just looking for a gabled roof with a peak of about 14' and the lowest beam at 8'. I don't want the thing to fall over but am looking for a design that gets rid of as much of the joist and beams in the middle of the pavilion. I want to see as much ceiling as possible. I have looked and looked at plans but cannot find the best way to connect the perpendicular connections at the corners as well as between the trusses. Can anyone help me out with this?

Bob S.

Welcome to country Plans twychopen. Have you seen Pine Cone's 14X14 post and beam thread in the builders forum? He built a project very similar to what you are describing.
Bob

Don_P

This is smaller but maybe some ideas;

It was designed as 3 bents that are assembled and tipped up. The brace panels are prebuilt, lifted into place between the bents and bolted in place, purlins were to be set in inturned ear hangers. It's a blend of methods, I was going for something along the lines of the old railroad depot style with the large overhang, which also helps balance the rafter chord and lowers tie tension.

twychopen

Quote from: Bob S. on May 26, 2016, 12:45:46 AM
Welcome to country Plans twychopen. Have you seen Pine Cone's 14X14 post and beam thread in the builders forum? He built a project very similar to what you are describing.
Bob

I did not see it, can you post a link?

twychopen

twychopen

Quote from: Don_P on May 26, 2016, 07:25:06 AM
This is smaller but maybe some ideas;

It was designed as 3 bents that are assembled and tipped up. The brace panels are prebuilt, lifted into place between the bents and bolted in place, purlins were to be set in inturned ear hangers. It's a blend of methods, I was going for something along the lines of the old railroad depot style with the large overhang, which also helps balance the rafter chord and lowers tie tension.

Ok, while that thing looks awesome!, it is a little more complex than I am going for. Does anyone know of a support bracket such as a "T" bracket for the center column and an "L" bracket for the top corner columns? The idea is that they would support the perimeter beams on top of the columns (3 on each of the 2 longer sides).

Bob S.

put 14X14 in the search box above Bob

Bob S.

It's in the Owner-Builder forum at (14X14 post & beam w/ scribed log infill) he built a 16X16 covered deck similer to what I think you are looking to build. I bet Pine cone would help you if you had questions. good luck Bob

Don_P

Sure, Simpson, strongtie.com, makes an "Architectural Products Group" of post and beam type connectors. A word of caution there, the connectors are for uplift, you still need to figure out bracing through another means. I've also used the CCPC post brackets and had a local shop fabricate similar corner saddles.

NathanS

"A Timber Framer's Workshop" is the go to book on timber framing.

twychopen

Quote from: NathanS on May 27, 2016, 01:02:21 PM
"A Timber Framer's Workshop" is the go to book on timber framing.

Thanks for the info, I looked it up and made the purchase!

twychopen

Quote from: Bob S. on May 27, 2016, 03:21:22 AM
It's in the Owner-Builder forum at (14X14 post & beam w/ scribed log infill) he built a 16X16 covered deck similer to what I think you are looking to build. I bet Pine cone would help you if you had questions. good luck Bob

I found the post. How do I add a picture in here? I have 2 pictures of examples that I could show the connections I can't figure out. The 16X16 looks awesome but is more intricate than I want it to be.  d*

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.