Move my shed, or build a new one?

Started by MushCreek, April 18, 2016, 06:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

Way back when I started on our property, the first order of business was to build a quick 'n dirty shed to house my tools. I built an 8X12, which is fine, but as the plan evolved, it is now in my 'front yard'. I'd really like to move it, but it's going to be tricky. It only needs to move about 50', but there are trees and ditches in the way. I was thinking about jacking it up a little at a time until I could get my trailer under it, which would be about 32" high. Set it on the trailer, move it to the new spot, and reverse the process.

In talking to a friend of mine about this, he said, "I would just sell that shed, and build a new one where you want it." I'm seriously considering this idea. Yes, it would cost a lot more money. But- I can build up to 200 square feet without a permit, so I could build, say, a 12 X16, and could even build it on a slab without a permit. There are no height restrictions, so I could build a gambrel roof that would mirror the barn, and allow for a pretty decent sized loft for storing long stuff.

So that 's the question. I *think* I could move it in a day, and be done with it, or I could spend a few grand and a couple weeks building a much bigger, better shed. Bear in mind that I have a big barn (28 X 48), so I just use the shed for storing yard equipment as I don't like gasoline in my barn. Decisions, decisions.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MushCreek on April 18, 2016, 06:22:01 AM
Way back when I started on our property, the first order of business was to build a quick 'n dirty shed to house my tools. I built an 8X12, which is fine, but as the plan evolved, it is now in my 'front yard'. I'd really like to move it, but it's going to be tricky. It only needs to move about 50', but there are trees and ditches in the way. I was thinking about jacking it up a little at a time until I could get my trailer under it, which would be about 32" high. Set it on the trailer, move it to the new spot, and reverse the process.

In talking to a friend of mine about this, he said, "I would just sell that shed, and build a new one where you want it." I'm seriously considering this idea. Yes, it would cost a lot more money. But- I can build up to 200 square feet without a permit, so I could build, say, a 12 X16, and could even build it on a slab without a permit. There are no height restrictions, so I could build a gambrel roof that would mirror the barn, and allow for a pretty decent sized loft for storing long stuff.

So that 's the question. I *think* I could move it in a day, and be done with it, or I could spend a few grand and a couple weeks building a much bigger, better shed. Bear in mind that I have a big barn (28 X 48), so I just use the shed for storing yard equipment as I don't like gasoline in my barn. Decisions, decisions.

Sounds as if you just need to make a decision that you are satisfied with.  Weigh in on the pros and cons.  I was faced with a similar decision when I built my house.  I had a 30 X 30 barn & wagon shed sitting where I wanted to place my house.  Most people said they would just torch it and be done.  But I weighed in on the cost of building a similar size storage shed and decided to move it.  After about a week of jacking and placing logs under it as skids , D6 dozer I moved it some 150 feet and like you reversed the process.  No easy feat jacking and blocking  but I am satisfied that I made the right decision. 

Don_P

Or break it down into panels and move them. I made 3 attempts up our steep drive with the shed intact and just didn't have enough Isrealites to move the pyramid. It could be reassembled similar to John's as an 8x12 toolroom with an 8x12 drive in side shed all under a gambrel top.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on April 18, 2016, 07:44:45 AM
Or break it down into panels and move them. I made 3 attempts up our steep drive with the shed intact and just didn't have enough Isrealites to move the pyramid. It could be reassembled similar to John's as an 8x12 toolroom with an 8x12 drive in side shed all under a gambrel top.

Don not sure you were commenting about my barn but if you were I moved it all in one piece.  Took a little thought and a few extra shag bark hickory poles.  ;D

Don_P

yup, what I meant is whatever way it gets there, take the current roof off and set it up with a gambrel roof that covers the current 8x12 and an open 8x12 side for a total footprint of 12x16. If it's tall enough, maybe keep the current floor and raise it up a couple of steps, it could support useable side sheds off the gambrel later. I always end up needing more covered area.

MushCreek

That's a thought. An 8X12 open 'car port' would be just right for parking the compact farm tractor I'll be getting eventually.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.