Rigid foam board cost - dumb question

Started by NathanS, May 15, 2015, 12:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanS

I might be retrofitting a cabin with rigid foam board.

Looking at Lowe's and I'm seeing 1 inch thick (4x8) boards for $6.79 and a 2 inch thick for $33.92! ???
hope these squirrelly links work
http://www.lowes.com/pd_304089-210-304089.0___?productId=3122445&pl=1&Ntt=rigid+insulation
http://www.lowes.com/pd_304090-210-304090.0___?productId=3122447&pl=1&Ntt=rigid+insulation

What am i missing here? There's some extra labor, but 2 layers of 1 inch foam board is actually better than 1 layer of 2 inch foam board (tongue twister) because we have a better chance at an air seal.

Am I missing something obvious here?

rick91351

On the links that I followed inch was 21.48 and two inch was 39.22.  Which seemed rather high compared to the lumber yard that I bought some through, but then that was a few years ago and in the fall.  I find I get better deals at the lumber yards than box stores.

However it seems to me rather a no brainer if you could score some inch at 6.79!

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NathanS

Hm... that's weird, he's a screenshot.

My wife and I might be putting in an offer on an unfinished cabin. Right now, the guy just has fiberglass batts in the walls and no air barrier. He already put up cedar shingles on the exterior, so I think the best way to improve energy efficiency is to actually put up foam board on the inside of the house. I was thinking 2 inches in the walls and 4 inches in the vaulted ceiling. At 6.79 per inch that wouldn't be very expensive...

MountainDon

When one of us clicks on that link the Lowes site will go to our local store, if we have set a local store on lowes.com. The computer cookies remembers that. If we had not set a store then no price should be displayed and we would be asked to choose a local store to see a price.  When I change to the zip 13421 and select the Oneida store I get 6.79. Otherwise I see the same higher price that Rick got. Must be a local overstock. Or something special to that store.  Or a local mistake ???

Get down there in a hurry and buy all you need, and then some.    :)   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NathanS

Looks like it's no longer available there. I should have checked if it was actually in stock before posting.

Too bad!

rick91351

Quote from: NathanS on May 15, 2015, 10:56:14 AM
Looks like it's no longer available there. I should have checked if it was actually in stock before posting.

Too bad!

Sears got busted about thirty years ago for bait and switch and a very similar scam in their advertising.  To get people into their stores.  I would imagine this was a typo - or a miscommunication in the proofing of the advertisement....

With that price point there was something wrong some where.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.