Nice prefab tropical hut

Started by j(Guest), March 09, 2006, 10:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j(Guest)

http://www.tropicalbuildings.com/projects/balihai/

I found this on the net.  They apparently run for only 9K plus shipping.  Nice little house if you live somewhere warm.  My only concern would be stong winds...like typhoons.

j

Jimmy_Cason

Candles would scare me in that hut!  

Amanda_931

But the inside of that roof sure is pretty.

Some friends who built what they thought was a typhoon-proof house finally lost a handful of Guaranteed! windows.  They were then told that the windows were guaranteed against wind, but not, say, wind-blown coconuts.  I think that the idea is that nothing is completely storm-proof.  There was a discussion years ago on another list whether it makes better sense in areas where storms happen regularly to build lightly--planning to quickly rebuild all but maybe a (semi) secure core afterwards or heavily, in which if there was damage it would be big-time trouble.

There was at least one tornado (or straight-line storm) in my area this afternoon.  Saw the barometer down as low as I'd ever seen it here, plenty of wind, even with the hill at my back.

And the dogs just wanted out, so I was treated to cool, spring peepers, fair amount of wind, bright moon, completely clear, except for some lightning to the north.

jwv

I think the key to a typhoon proof house is to build it with indigenous renewable material and don't put anything in it that can't be easily replaced.  Then when it gets typhooned, you rebuild.  We get way too attached to STUFF.

judy  [smiley=undecided.gif]

trying to detach from too much stuff

bartholomew

QuoteI was treated to cool, spring peepers
You've lost me Amanda...what are peepers???

spinnm

We were talking to some guys in Baja as they built a house for a gringo.  Got interested in how they dried their lumber...whole logs placed in a fire, how they cut lumber...hatchets and adzes and wedges....how they were building walls....waddle and daub with plaster over.

Then there was the roof.  Like these.  They call them "palapa" in Mexico.  I asked him how they kept the tarantulas and other creapies out.  "Fumigar", he said.  Once a year you move out and they fumigar the place ;D  Wind would be the least of my worries.

Amanda_931

The little frogs that go peep peep peep all through the night starting in spring.  I should have said cool air.   You can listen to them on this site:

http://www.naturesound.com/frogs/pages/peeper.html

Ailsa C. Ek

Oh, peepers!  *melt*  We're still short of peeper season here, but the thought of a chorus of spring peepers outside my window is almost enough to make me try to talk DH into that plot that was half wetlands after all.

glenn kangiser

I have a frog pond on the roof of my house that they sing in -- they are so loud that the neighbors can hear them at night through the trees about 1000 feet away.  It sounds like hundreds although its not.  They spend the summer in the rooftop garden eating bugs, so we don't have to spray insecticides.  We also have Preying Mantis each year - another good bug eater along with a few bats.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bartholomew

Oh, and I was thinking something like an early spring berry. Around my place there are tree frogs (about 2" long) and tailed frogs (about 1").  The tailed frogs live in/around streams and are mute. The tree frogs don't have to stay near water. They make the typical ribbet sound usually associated with frogs. I have yet to spot either.

Amanda_931

I don't know that I've ever seen one--they were out again tonight.

The picture on my (not all that big laptop) monitor is probably twice as large as the little guy really is.