Off site construction--options

Started by MikeT, March 06, 2006, 08:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Greetings,

While I am waiting for the permitting process to be completed (up to 2 months, it appears), are there any things I can work on while at home (about 85 miles from the vacation home site)?

Specifically:

What do you think about building the window and door frame assemblies at home?
What do you think about building walls in sections and transporting them to the job site?

It is funny/scary to see you timetable slowly erode with delay upon delay--the dry season is soon upon us here in Oregon, but I fear I won't have enough time to get things done before the rains come again.

John_M

I have often thought about this myself....

I would think that building the walls in 8 foot sections is possible, but you do run the risk of wasting time fixing mistakes or things that don't quite line up properly (may even take more time to fix them than to build them on site!!)

You also have to get them there as well.  They are going to be bulky and heavy.

I have thought about at least building the headers and such for doors and windows and just bringing them out to the site.  I would not think that there is too much risk for error there.  Just figure out rough opening and then add thickness of 2x material to hold header up.  

I just don't know how much time you save doing this....I think it is more or less excitement of getting things started!!

JRR

If your project is remote and is going to take a bit of time to "dry in", I would strongly suggest you buy framing wood and pre-prime it now ... perhaps even top coat it.   This will help keep the wood, especially if it is pine, from being as weather warped and as weather cracked.   This is a good use for "oops" paint that is usually available.  Of course, this assumes you now have a work area and a hauling means.

And if you plan to use painted wood siding, the same process holds true.  Painted on both sides or "back-primed" siding is one deterrent of mould.

Pre-painted wood is nice to work with and eliminates some waiting for "good painting weather" later on.

As far as making real off-site construction, I've really never tried it.   But we came close in making gambrel roof trusses.  I made the first truss and disassembled it for piece-patterns.  My daughter and SIL made all the additional trusses pieces and brought them to the site, pre-painted, for jig assembly.  This was a real time saver.

Jimmy_Cason

Keep in mind about rough openings. I don't think there is a standard rough opening being used today.
6 months ago when I started working out the layout for my framing I stopped by the local Home Depot
and found all the windows and doors I wanted to use.  I measured the exact size of the doors and windows and noted the manufacturers rough opening sizes.
My wife ordered the French door and had it delivered. I didn't know she found one for 100 dollars cheaper by a different manufacturer.
The door frame was about one inch different.

If you have a method of transporting an 8 foot tall wall in 10 ft. sections. That would be a great way to get a little extra work done. I can lift an 8x10 section with 6" studs by myself. If it has headers, two people can lift them easily. I would save the last section of a long wall out and build it on site to take up any accumulated measuring or cutting differences.

8 foot x 10 foot site built wall sections.

trish2(Guest)

Start building the house in your head.  See yourself on the job site actually sawing and nailing.  Now, what items have you forgotten?  What braces, screws, tools or ??? do you need that you 'forgot'  Start making a  written detailed list.  The word WRITTEN is the most important.  Don't trust your memory no matter how good.  Once you get rollin, you'll be amazed at how your brain has turned to teflon.  Stuff just won't stick.

Once it's written, you can forget it--just don't forget where you put the list!!