Stairs for Victoria Cottage?

Started by CREATIVE1, January 27, 2006, 06:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

What do you think of these alternating tread stairs?  They are supposed to be the only ones that meet code.  Has anyone ever gone up and down steps like this?  What do you think?

http://www.architecturalstairs.com/TinyRUN.html :-?

glenn-k

I haven't tried them yet - not sure if they meet all codes - seems they met loft codes - we had them listed here in various forms as Jefferson stairs.
Jefferson Stairs

PS - I do like them and plan to build a set for a small loft under my sun scoop.

Design Sketch

JRR

I used to work in a plant that used these steps in many locations on the manufacturing floor.  We called them "diving board stairs".

I would consider them unsafe unless two hand rails were provided.

glenn-k

Good info on codes and safety of alternating tread stairs.  To me it seems they are safe if you are in possession of your faculties. :)
Code and Safety Info  Frames link so go to alternating tread stair and building codes for working links to info - otherwise text is below.

Note - the below information is in reference to industrial apps and may not completely apply to residential.

The following condensed codes or proposals address the use of alternating tread stairs in certain applications. The codes themselves and/or local code officials should be consulted for specific requirements. To obtain a copy of any of the following call 1-800-535-7631 or go to Request Additional Information to have it faxed or mailed to you.
U.S. Federal OSHA      
OSHA has issued a letter stating that alternating tread stairs are safe, meet the intent of the OSHA Act, and no citations will be issued. This letter can be found on OSHA's website of "Standards Interpretation and Compliance Letters".

In April 1982, OSHA issued a directive to field compliance officers concerning the use of alternating tread stairs. This directive can also be found on OSHA's website: Instruction STD 1-1.11

OSHA's proposed revision of industry standards for workplace walking and working surfaces (29 CFR part 1910) addresses alternating tread stairs. (Section 1910.25, of Federal Register / Vol. 55, No. 69 / April 10, 1990 / Proposed Rules). The proposed rule is still outstanding and was re-opened in May 2003. You may view the status of this rule and the full document on their website under Walking and Working Surfaces; Personal Protective Equipment (Fall Protection Systems) - 68:23527-23568
INTERNATIONAL BUILDING CODE 2000      
Alternating tread stairs are permitted as means of egress in buildings of Groups F, H, and S (mezzanines less than 250 sq ft serving five occupants or less) and in buildings of Group I-3 (guard towers, observation stations, and control rooms less than 250 sq ft). (Section 1003.3.3.10)
SBCCI STANDARD BUILDING CODE      
The 1994 edition of the Standard Building Code permits alternating tread stairs with a minimum projected tread of 8.5 inches to access 250 square foot mezzanines or less, occupied by no more than 5 people. They may also be used to and between staff locations in penal facilities. (Section 1007.8)

BOCA NATIONAL BUILDING CODE      
The 1999 National Building Code permits alternating tread stairs with a minimum projected tread of 5 inches and a minimum tread depth of 8.5 inches as a means of egress from mezzanines, roofs and various areas in penal facilities; exception as a means of egress from a mezzanine area not more than 250 sq. ft. not serving more than 5 occupants, shall have a minimum projected tread of 8.5 inches, minimum tread depth of 10.5 inches. (Section 1014.6.6 and 1027.0)

ICBO UNIFORM BUILDING CODE      
An October 1987 letter states that the alternating tread stair may be installed when it is used only to attend equipment. (Section 3306 (a))

NFPA LIFE SAFETY CODE      
The 2000 edition of NFPA 101 Life Safety Code permits alternating tread stairs as an alternative to ladders for unoccupied roofs, towers, elevated platforms, boiler rooms and storage occupancies. (Sections 7.2.11 and 42.2.2.11)

U.S. COAST GUARD      
In September 1984, the U.S. Coast Guard issued a letter addressing the use of alternating tread stairs and the authorized locations of inspected vessels. (Document #16711)

CANADIAN MINISTRY OF HOUSING      
A November 1988 letter states that alternating tread stairs could serve as a secondary stair for convenience purposes.

California industrial code -Alt Tread

CREATIVE1

:o  Thanks, guys. You helped. But I wish I could just climb these steps ONE TIME and I'd know.  Comparing them to the cottage stairs.  I don't mind steep, but I don't like to go down stairs waddling like a duck with my feet turned sideways!  Will get more info about tread depth and look at postings from Europe and Australia, where they seem to use these alot.  Again, thanks!

glenn-k

These steps do give you full tread depth provided you start off on the proper foot and continue alternating your feet on the way down -the cutout allows a full depth step every other step.  Maybe intimidating for people who are afraid of heights - depth to the ground is the same and actually you wouldn't get hit in the ribs by as many steps as you fell - ultimate velocity upon reaching the bottom may be slightly greater due to the slowing effect of green stick fractures clawing at the front edge of risers on a conventional stairway.   :-/  Not funny -- I know. ----  Still - if it is not currently happening to you-------

Daddymem

Modern, Franklin Jefferson stair.

Note: My son called me up to ask where the info was on this stair. He'd seen it on my site. He remembered alternating tread but thought it was called the "Lincoln stair". Guess everyone wants to name it after a president... (Franklin was president wasn't he?  ;))

jraabe

When Ross Chapin did his group of small cottages in Langley. I had a chance to try out several different versions of steep (cottage style) and alternating tread stairs. I didn't like the alternating tread stair for two reasons. One it was a bit scary coming down head first (that might go away over time), and 2nd you had to start with the correct foot. Stepping onto the stairs was a bit like dancing, and, like dancing, I'm a bit of a klutz.

Again, your personal experience might be different but a cottage stair where you have to go slower and step a bit higher was much easier for me to use. This is what I designed into the 1.5 story cottage plans (there are other options there too).

CREATIVE1

All this reminds me that the reason I was born prematurely was that my mother decided to climb into the attic on these giant box-like steps that were supposed to be converted to a real stairway down the line.  After one bad experience maybe I shouldn't get too fancy!

BinaryWhisper

that Ben Franklin is a wickedly bright design. Very simple, very cool

jraabe

Thanks Daddymem;

Score another one for old Ben. I hadn't seen that design. Very practical for a space saving cottage.

harry51

I'd have to pass on the alternating stairs. Sooner or later, someone's gonna crash on them. Murphy's Law. Just my opinion, based on my hard-earned status as a Master Klutz, and my observation that I'm not alone in that distinction.....

Daddymem

Wow, I thought everyone had seen them (maybe not known they were Franklin stairs).  Must be a Northeast thing, we see them at yardsales and antique stores.  That's why I keep saying Franklin stair and not Jefferson stair; I hadn't heard of the Jefferson stair until here.  Wonder what other regional differences are out there says I whilst sipping my coffee milk, Autocrat of course.

CREATIVE1

An interesting site from Great Britain.  I wonder if they ship here?  Will follow up.
http://www.staircases.org/index.htm

jraabe

Don't we all downplay our own knowledge and consider it to be "common knowledge" shared by all?

One of the advantages of forums such as this is pickup up some of this regional "common knowledge" (which is likely not so common to most of the rest of us  :D)