Geico vs. State farm...

Started by NM_Shooter, November 15, 2011, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Anybody using Geico?  I'm thinking of making a switch. 

I just did a test quote, and for three vehicles, their 6 month insurance would be $672.00   The equivalent State Farm insurance that I am currently paying is $1378.00

This really aggravates me, as I have been with State Farm for 30 years, and have all my policies with them.... home, life, personal article, auto, and blanket liability. 

Looks like I am going to be making a switch to the little lizard. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

We've used Geico for many years, way before the Gecko came along. Everytime I have checked with other insurance companies I can not find a cheaper rate.

The strange or odd thing is that we have Home owner insurance with State Farm. When I have checked with Geico for home owner insurance State Farm still comes up cheaper than Geico. The multiple policy thing doesn't seem to carry much weight. I've checked with State farm agent on switching our auto policies to them and they still can't match our Geico. Way back about 25 years ago we had our auto policy with State Farm. We left them for Geico as Geico beat them by a wide margin back then.

To add confusion to the mix we used GMAC for insurance on our RV whenever it was licensed and insured as on that (older RV) they had a much better rate than anyone else. Geico actually refused to underwrite it as 'too old'.

Go figure...
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

I've had geico for years.  I had a minor accident and took the mirror off a bus once.  No increase in premium.  I  know someone with a horror story of converge from state farm.  He had an accident on the fourth of July weekend.  They didn't call him back for three days.  He was stranded in the Midwest for a week.  We always joke, state farm is there, except holidays and weekends.

Don_P

We had State Farm for everything until the latest renewal when they decided that GC's were too high a risk and refused to underwrite my business general liability. I've never had a claim. I hadn't shopped in awhile. Farm Bureau picked up everything (I prefer one local agent if at all possible) with better coverage at a lower price.

NM_Shooter

Just to be clear, I have never had an issue with their response when I needed them.  On both a home break in, and an at-fault accident, they responded very quickly, did not challenge claims, and the customer service was really good.

But I can't ignore the fact that just on three cars, I am paying more than $1200 a year over Geico.  I almost feel embarassed to have not figured this out sooner.  From googling around, it appears that most folks are pretty happy with them.  I can find some sample cases where people are not, but I can also find sample cases of dissatisfied customers for State Farm too.

I shudder to think what my total insurance costs are each year.  I am going to become very critical about this going forward. 

My brother told me that he has a former insurance agent now working for him who told him this... the insurance companies are more interested in getting new customers than they are at keeping old customers.  Sad.

MountainDon

We too are very happy with the home owner insurance we have with State farm. They covered the plumbing damage without a hiccup.  And Geico has been very good to deal with as far as the few claims we've had, some our fault, some others fault.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

They make funny commercials, too. That's the most important thing. Not that I ever watch TV....

Got some football fanatics in the family.. What can you do? [noidea'

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

rick91351

My folks had Farmers for ever, I had Farmers for like 45 years.  When my agent was dropped by Farmers, they raised higher when they migrated us to another agent.  Sort of like we were a captive audience.  Someone at work said go with AARP / Hartford.  That was a joke.  That went really good until they found we had fourwheelers and actually rode them and had a real ranch.  We were told we did not fit their business plan.  So I took it to a independent agent and he did us some shopping and HOLY COW!  He saved us real money and better coverage.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Ajax

I don't have Geico, but had an accident last year with a Geico insured driver.  Very happy with how Geico handled the claim
Ajax .... What an ass.
muldoon

kenhill

I was rear ended by a Geico driver and it snapped the tongue off my snowmachine trailer.  Blame was atributed 30% me and 70% Geico driver.  The trailer was in a shop for a month waiting for parts and welding.  When it was complete, Geico offered to pay less than 70% and said I didn't let them see the damage and they weren't even sure there was damage.  I countered they had 30 days to inspect the trailer and they didn't.  Their rates are low because they are screwing the victums.  State Farm told me Geico was breaking an informal agreement between companies to pay according to percent blame.  So that is why Geico can be cheaper than other companies.  If you are ever the recipient of an accident by a Geico Driver - document, photograph, and document communications because they will try to screw you.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: kenhill on November 16, 2011, 12:48:24 PM
I was rear ended by a Geico driver and it snapped the tongue off my snowmachine trailer.  Blame was atributed 30% me and 70% Geico driver. 

I'm curious.. why did they attribute that much blame to you?  Were your lights not working?  What the heck?!?!?!

peternap

I have an ax to grind with both.

Years ago I had homeowners with Travelers. They didn't pay a claim and I sued them and won. I needed a new company so I contacted a local State Farm Agent. She said "I won't write it, you might sue us too".

Now years later, she sends me at least a letter every two weeks asking me to go with them.
Fat Chance. I hold grudges forever! ;D

Geico....I had a small motorcycle, 125cc, that I used to commute to work on. I called them and asked for a quote. They said they did not like motorcycles but would do it for a god awful amount of money.
Now they love motorcycles and want me.
Fat Chance! I hold grudges forever! ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Sassy

Don't know about Geico, but State Farm & Farmers have always been more expensive than other insurances I've gotten quotes from.  I've had USAA for 25 yrs.  Had good response for an auto accident 25yrs ago, also when someone broke into my car & stole my expensive stereo system.

Have had water damage claims for 2 different houses which they covered w/out any problems. 

But recently we found out they had inadvertently discontinued our insurance on one of the rentals, had somehow dropped the liability on our property & keep changing the address to another place way across the mountain because we live on a private road & the postal service won't make it an official road in their system  ???  Now that's frustrating!

Overall, we have auto, homeowners & life insurance through them & find they are much cheaper than any other insurance company.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Native_NM

USAA is amazing.  I've been a member since the early 80's.  Great company. 

I would tell your agent about the price difference and give them the chance to lower your premium.  Just a thought.  Everyone is scrambling for business these days.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MikeC

same insurance for 15 yrs+
premium kept increasing each year -no citations, no claims
and with vehicles becoming older, their exposure for collision decreased each year

just went w/geico
premium cost less than half of what we had been paying, with same or better contract coverage
oh yeah, w/previous insurance we had multiple policies - home/extended coverage/boat/rental/auto

do shop around