Apple Orchards and profits

Started by OlJarhead, October 13, 2011, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I was doing a little research today -- because I'd rather be on my land then working for someone else -- and found this:

http://www.goodfruit.com/Good-Fruit-Grower/August-2010/High-density-apple-systems-cost-more/

Needless to say I was a bit stunned by what I read...is it possible that someone could actually turn $50,000 per acre in profits from apples?  Heck I know of orchards that are thousands of acres that are growing fruit in high density orchards.....

Makes one wonder if a couple acres of well managed apples wouldn't be a great way to augment ones income?

OlJarhead

"whipes brow"  whew... I had that all wrong!  Good thing I read further:

QuoteBut, after 20 years, you can expect to have accumulated $50,000 per acre in profit from it, more than twice the profit lower density systems will generate.

That means the earnings was just $2500 per acre per year on average over 20 years......to one would need 20 acres of apples to generate $50k per year.

Squirl

Still not too bad. That is profit, not gross.  Add in depreciation and being able to deduct property taxes or a property tax exemption, it looks even a little better.

Thanks for sharing.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Squirl on October 13, 2011, 02:30:22 PM
Still not too bad. That is profit, not gross.  Add in depreciation and being able to deduct property taxes or a property tax exemption, it looks even a little better.

Thanks for sharing.

I've heard other crops are also good for small farms but this one caught my eye.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time not being there...I found a very nice Massey-Ferguson 135 with loader for $7900 cash...very nice as in new paint, new tires, new seals, new seat, etc etc...basically show ready tractor.....and of course tractors and implements are fairly common on craigslist.....I swear if I lost my job I'd move to the cabin and get serious about!

rick91351

That was one reason for our orchard.  However I was somewhat distressed to find in some states.  Mine being one you can not sell fresh fruit without going through a packing shed.  You can still do 'you pick' but the days of the little Ma and Pa Orchard and selling apples, pears and peaches from the back of the old 55 Chevy God awful green pick up is done.  I was wonder why several years ago I did not see that any more. ???  Nor spuds and onions.  Thank you Mister Goberment for getting involved in another part of my life.  I just do not know what I would do with out you saving me from myself.  However corn is allowed  ???

So there are some options still left open.  As I say we can still do you pick, you can make apple butter and such and sell at farmer markets.  This would be good as we were thinking of doing some berry jams and jelly.  Also pumpkin butter and pumpkins this time of the year.  There is a commercial kitchen we can rent for canning and preserves close by.  I might find we might have to come out of retirement after I get retired.... ;)       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rick91351 on October 13, 2011, 03:00:29 PM
That was one reason for our orchard.  However I was somewhat distressed to find in some states.  Mine being one you can not sell fresh fruit without going through a packing shed.  You can still do 'you pick' but the days of the little Ma and Pa Orchard and selling apples, pears and peaches from the back of the old 55 Chevy God awful green pick up is done.  I was wonder why several years ago I did not see that any more. ???  Nor spuds and onions.  Thank you Mister Goberment for getting involved in another part of my life.  I just do not know what I would do with out you saving me from myself.  However corn is allowed  ???

So there are some options still left open.  As I say we can still do you pick, you can make apple butter and such and sell at farmer markets.  This would be good as we were thinking of doing some berry jams and jelly.  Also pumpkin butter and pumpkins this time of the year.  There is a commercial kitchen we can rent for canning and preserves close by.  I might find we might have to come out of retirement after I get retired.... ;)       

I hear ya!

Speaking of apple butter we did quite a bit this year :)  The last batch was a pear-apple butter that we did -- 22+ 1/2pints of it.  A friend has a dozen trees or so and brought in a crate of pears and apples for me...we canned something like 18 quarts of pears, plus the butter, dried some pears and made some applesauce too....gotta love it.

Squirl

peternap

You all are killing me!
I really miss apple butter >:(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

If you are a real apple butter enthusiast.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Cookware___Copper_Kettles___Apple_Butter_Kettles___110105#

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Cookware___Copper_Kettles___Apple_Butter_Stirrer___27817#27817

Apple pear butter would be good.  Our son in law has a uncle in North Carolina, he has a very unique shop or store that part of his line is selling all kinds of jams and jellies and that type of stuff.  Seems to do very well at it. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Squirl on October 13, 2011, 03:27:19 PM
Do you make it in a crock pot?

Nope but that would probably be easier.  I make it on the stove -- just quarter the apples and toss them into a large pot to simmer until soft then use a food mill to separate the pulp and juice from the seeds and skins etc -- then add spices and sugar etc and cook and cook and cook and cook and cook :)

And then can and savor as desired.

When I learned my wife loved the stuff (about 4 years ago) I planted a crab apple tree in the back yard....my daughters dog then ate 6 of 10 branches off it so we fenced it in...this year we got 40 apples from it :)  Made 17 1/2 pints of Crab-Apple Butter from it....

Redoverfarm

You have to understand that the majority of the orchards have been in place for several years.  So waiting for the trees to bear fruit is not a problem unlike someone starting out where you can wait for 3-5 years for newly planted trees.  Then there is the usual problems associated being tree replacement for the ones that didn't make it the first and second year.  Neighbor (implant) is starting an orchard.  His first years planting resulted in one variety of 50 trees some 80% died.  So that is another year set back.  Not to mention that other varieties have lost some 20-30%.  Further set back.  This might have been a nursery problem or something they developed locally.  

Then to have the necessary sprays associated with maintenance prior to bearing fruit.  They cost of chemicals has went through the roof.  New trees are more prone to certain diseases and insects than older trees.  So  I wouldn't "count my chickens before they hatch" so to speak.  Yes you can probably make a go at it.   No different than any other venture but you must fully understand the big picture.

APPLE BUTTER.  This is the first year in several that I am going to miss my mothers Annual Apple Butter making.  Yep got the shindig at Dogtrot this weekend.  They usually start at 6:30 AM and taken it off at 4:30 PM. A constant day of stirring the 30 gallon copper kettle.  The end result is about 26 gallons.  But being the mother that she is (fantastic) she dropped off two pints at the cabin for guest to enjoy while she was gone. :)

Don_P

Have fun with the housewarming John  :)
Apples and fruit in general are some of the highest fungicide/pesticide crops if you want to hit the "normal" consumer market. A few of the newer varieties have various resistance although it would be a good idea to try them before committing. I'd talk to a few owners and workers before putting my nest egg in that basket. A personal orchard is a great thing though. The pear wine is still working hard after three weeks, I'm kinda wondering just what we've created  ???